What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

Emrysgirl

cont'd
  1. see above
  2. see above
  3. see above
  4. I had another point as to why Dewey was more important that had to do with the exact character changes, but I'm not doing very well explaining it, so I'll leave it for later. Or someone else might bring it up (Tessa seems to be thinking of the same thing).
  5. forums related evidence: We have both a character and a forum member named Malcolm. We have both a character and a forum member named Dewey. But we only run into name problems (getting confused and having to distinguish the two) with Dewey. This shows that we're talking a lot more about Dewey (not just in this thread) and implies that he is a more important character.
willdubbs said:
he believes Hal when he promises him a trip on a rocket ship (completely ridiculous).
Actually, he didn't say anything. We don't know what he thought. He might just have been confused by Hal strong reaction.

willdubbs said:
-Many episodes focused on the parents, especially Hal.
Totally agree with that.

willdubbs said:
-A third clip show.
MitM is the only show where I have actually enjoyed the clip shows. The background plots were quite entertaining in both of the clip shows.

That said, I agree with you that we don't need another one. This IS the last season and to have an episode that didn't have all new stuff would be very dissapointing. I hated when they did the Friends countdown thing. I hope they don't do that with MitM.

MITM18

Sorry to say this but I am sure your going to be dissapointed this season if you have all those demands.

Emrysgirl

MITM18 said:
Sorry to say this but I am sure your going to be dissapointed this season if you have all those demands.
Who are you talking to? Do you mean there's going to be more of Dewey this season:eek:?

MITM18

While I cant give more details towards Season 7 right now because of many factors, I can say do not set soo many demands for this season, just enjoy the show as a comedy.

Your going to love it if you just like to enjoy the show but dont expect all your demands to be met.

allison

I thought so. I didn´t expect them to get rid of the Buseys and things like that, I guess it was just a wish or something. :(:p

@Aditi:

What exactly do you mean by 4.? You said we´re thinking the same thought and I think you´re right, but I still don´t really know what you mean. I think (I´m not sure if this is what you mean) that Dewey´s character change makes him a more important character, because now he´s become a genius, too. By revealing that information they took something away that made Dewey in my opinion a very interesting character. We always knew he had some talents, but his family didn´t know about it whereas everyone knew that Malcolm is a genius. It made Dewey mysterious. He taught himself to play the piano within 15 min. Eveything he did in "Humilthon" when he was alone was quite impressive. You could see that when he was alone (at least when his family was not around) he turned into a different person. We also could see this in Waterpark when he did his tabledance. You never knew what he was up to. E.g when he hit the boys with the purse in old mrs. old, then threw away the brick and acted like nothing had happened. That´s one of the things I liked so much about him. He also didn´t have any friends. I don´t mind that he has friends now, though being alone underlined his mysterious character in a way.
As Emrysgirl said the problem with the Buseys is that they don´t even seem real. They admire Dewey and he became their smart leader. It gives you (or at least me) the impression that they tried to bring some new characters into the show, and since the Krelboynes were pretty weird they also had to come up with pretty weird friends for Dewey. But in contrast to the Krelboynes the Buseys are neither funny nor interesting.
And none underestimates Dewey, anymore. On the contrary, Malcolm even asks him for help and Reese thinks he needs to team up with Jamie to protect themselves from Malcolm and Dewey, the 2 geniuses in the family.
It´s true what Emrysgirl said: There weren´t so many epsiodes named after Dewey´s plot, but that doesn´t mean too much. It´s the fact that they expanded his character whearas other characters (like Malcolm) became less important.

Maybe I´m sounding a bit too negative. I think it´s great that mitm is a show where the characters develope, but making Dewey the new genius of the family and adding some strange characters who admire him, just isn´t the greatest idea in my opinion.
And (I know I have said this before) since the beginning of the 6th season there´s something about him I don´t like. He sometimes appears so full of himself, but maybe that´s just my personal impression.
Ok, I better stop now. I know that Dewey fans probably totally disagree with me. :D

Dewey

Minimalistic
allison said:
And (I know I have said this before) since the beginning of the 6th season there´s something about him I don´t like. He sometimes appears so full of himself, but maybe that´s just my personal impression.
Ok, I better stop now. I know that Dewey fans probably totally disagree with me. :D
Damn you Allison! Whats he ever done to you? You have really upset me now. I think I'm going to sit down and watch season 6 in its entirity in order to cheer myself up. (Joke)

I do actually see what you mean though. He has changed a lot in recent times, and not all for the better. Sad thing is, that most changes are simply to satisfy short-lived plotlines, which rarely develop beyond a single episode.

*NB:
I have a question: do I have to put "(joke)" in brackets every time i am being ironic? I think it obvious that I do not mean such comments literally, and i would never point out humour in that way in "real life" - but at the same time I don't want to be seen as bashing. What do you guys think?

Emrysgirl

MITM18 said:
While I cant give more details towards Season 7 right now because of many factors, I can say do not set soo many demands for this season, just enjoy the show as a comedy.
Again, what/who are you refering to? The thread as a whole? They're not demands, they're wishes. You can enjoy a show and critisize it's short-comings at the same time. And the past few posts have been more a general discussion of the character Dewey than specific wishes/demands.

allison said:
I think (I´m not sure if this is what you mean) that Dewey´s character change makes him a more important character, because now he´s become a genius, too.
Yes, that's what I meant. With other characters, there have just been changes in their character (other meaning of the word). For example, Reese has become sensitive INSTEAD of bullying; Francis has become responsible INSTEAD of well, irresponsible; etc. But with Dewey, it's like they're building him up. Instead of being a weird cute kid like in season 1. He can perform magic tricks, make cotton candy animals, build grand pianos from household objects, write operas. He's a musical genious and is above average, if not a genious, in academics. And he's considerate and responsible.

If you build a character that much, it's hard to keep him in the sidelines. He's becoming a replacement for season 1 Malcolm as well as just an outlet for random plots.

This is also the reason the new Dewey is irritating. Despite the fact that he is more encouraged than Malcolm, he whines about being ignored more.

Btw, we've had a one way discussion on this before. see http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301

It's still not coming out right but that's the basic idea for 4.

And, I think I've realized why I don't like the Buseys:

With, the Krelboynes, they were just exaggerations of people we know in real life. In an attempt to make the Buseys as weird, the writers have come up with strange mental problems for them. But, these are so outrageous (sidewalks trying to eat people, catching other people's dreams) that I can no longer relate to them. They're, in short, too weird.

Plus, too laugh at the Krelboynes for being dweebs felt ok b/c they were smart and would do fine in life (billionares with supermodel girlfriends to quote Reese). The Busey's weirdnesses are they're actual problems. It's either too sad to laugh at or if I do laugh, I feel guilty.