Political Correctness and Holidays

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Now ive just been chatting to Sam about this and thought ti would make a good thread.

In the US you are a lot more concious of political correctness and how its used not just by the media/government but the average person. Take Christmas for example, you often say 'happy holidays' that's never said here, its nearly allways referred to as Christmas, even on News Shows etc where you would think they where more diverse. hanukkah hardly even comes up in the UK. Other festivals are also noticed less IMO. Sam made a good point that US is much more dirvse, but i still think its strange how UK different things are.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Yeah, you're right. You rarely see or hear "Merry Christmas" out in public anymore. It's almost always Happy Holidays. It's funny because they say Happy Holidays, but then they put up "Christmas" trees all over the place to decorate. :rolleyes:

The reason the US is more concerned with being politically correct is because it's a "melting pot" of so many different races and nationalities. I don't have statistics or anything, but I'm fairly certain that most people's ancestors in the UK are from the UK. I'm sure there are plenty of other nationalities there too, I'm referring to the overall majority. Since most everyone is English, most people share the same (Christian) beliefs when it comes to religion and religious holidays, therefore it's not a big deal to refer to the "holiday season" as Christmas. Whereas here, we have so many different religions and beliefs that a lot of people would take offence to us only recognizing Christmas without including the other religious holidays as well.

han_keep_smilin

something else about that time of yoer is thet the 8/7 stick candles in the window are not for christian religian and loads pf people dont know

your right you always hear merry christmas in England:D!!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Not to be politically incorrct, but Merry Christmas is what it's been called since English evolved, and it should still be called that in Ameica, If America is built on religious freedom, why can't I say "Merry Christmas" and not get my head choped off by someone else. I really agree with FOX News when they say there is a war on Christmas, and I' probably also take after my grandfather (which I do a lot) and I will say it. Merry Christmas! (even if it's late)