Favorite Christmas episode

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
You know, now that you guys just mentioned it, I noticed Malcolm's plot's exclusion from the episode. In fact, not trying to create a new subject here, but as the show went on, Malcolm didn't really even have a plot in some episodes. Funny that the show is called "MALCOLM in the middle":D . Anyways, Im not gripping, because I liked when they started focusing on the entire family more, not just Malcolm.:)
Anyways, back to point....my other favorite Christmas episode, "Christmas", was cool in the fact that we got to see the boys attempt to be nice to each other(even thought the primary motive seemed to be getting the presents). But even after they went and ripped open all their gifts, and even after Hal and Lois came in there and found them, they were all still happy at the end, and they were just sitting there laughing and talking to each other. A nice and subtle way to end a Christmas MITM episode.:)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I think Malcolm had a plot in every episode. In some eps his plot was really minor, but I'm pretty sure that Frankie appeared in every episode. The only exception is Clip Show #2 where he didn't appear with any new material, but we saw him in the flashbacks, of course. I guess they give the actors really minor plots sometimes so they can have a little break from filming, but still at least appear in the episode.

I agree with you though, I liked it more when the show started focusing on the entire family, which started around season 3.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
My favorite episodes are the ones that involve the entire family, but are still told from Malcolm's point of view. Right around that time in season 4, they really really started taking away from Malcolm's plots because Frankie was trying to film Agent Cody Banks. And I guess everyone just decided they liked it better that way. :D

Reesegurl

Yeah, Malcolm does seem to have alot more minor plots in the newer seasons, 4,5 and 6. And to be honest I like it better that way. I know Malcolm is the star of the show and all but his charactor annoys me the most of all!:mad: But it shows that Frankie is a good actor!:)

I used to really like his character in the older episodes before he got so complainy and stuff.
Another reason I think Malcolm didn't have as many major roles as the show went on is because he isn't really a crazy charactor like Hal or Reese. They hadalot of really major episodes in the newer seasons, especially Reese in the 5th and 6th and even 7th season. I used to wonder why Malcolm wasn't the lead in episodes like 'Reese joins the army'. In the newer ones it seems like Reese and Hal got alot more major episodes than Malcolm.

It almost seems like Malcolm is only a minor charactor sometimes. They didn't give him all that many 'big' episodes as the show went on. Does anyone else think that he was pushed to the side a bit?:confused:

Nico21

Reesegurl said:
[...]
It almost seems like Malcolm is only a minor charactor sometimes. They didn't give him all that many 'big' episodes as the show went on. Does anyone else think that he was pushed to the side a bit?:confused:
I didn't really think about it, but you're right, Malcolm doesn't have a big role in most of the episodes of the last seasons.

This may be the reason why I prefer the earlier seasons...

But maybe it was his choice; as Yardgames says in the previous message, while the last seasons were shot, Frankie Muniz also had to play in movies !
Maybe he also started to be bored of always playing the same role ?
that's only a supposition, but reading some interviews of him I thought he didn't appear very sad when he heard the series was ending (contrary to the other actors).