Favorite character details

ReMoss85

MITM18 said:
"Then he says another cartoon he is a scared of" something like that, dont have it infront of me.
I think it was Malcolm saying "That's how things go down in this family. I tell them my needs and they say 'No'. Then dad reveals another cartoon character he's afraid of."
So we know he's afraid of many cartoon characters, but that's about all we know. He could more sectretly be afraid of real life things, like robots. And the explanation for him building one would be that he went nuts and turned into another person. I prefer to stay naive and believe the writers always know exactly what they're doing.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
MITM18 said:
Another detail the writers have "forgotten" or just creativly written out of the story is Hal's scardness of robots, but if he was so scared of robots, why would he make one himself?
Did he say he was afraid of all robots, or just the one of the Jetsons? Are you just assuming he is afraid of all robots. Because he could just be afraid of robots that think on their own and act like people. That's very different from a robot that you control with a remote.

MITM18 said:
Could be, but I dont see how you can be scared of Chucky and not be scared of any other scary movie.
I completely disagree. Being afraid of one scary movie doesn't make you afraid of all scary movies. It sounds to me like Hal doesn't like things that aren't human acting like humans, which I can totally understand.

I just think it's a little harsh to call it a "plothole". If Hal said "I hate scary movies" in season one, and then he said the opposite in season 6, then yes, that would be a reasonable assessment. But you are just assuming that Hal hates all robots, and Hal hates scary movies. Those are conclusions that you, yourself, drew. Not the writers.

samboo1

hu iz ur favorite brother?and y.

Hi i wanna no who ur favorite malcolm in the middle brother is and why. Ill start off by saying my favorite is reese as he has the best attitude(carefree and a rebel).

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Re: hu iz ur favorite brother?and y.

Welcome to the forums! We hope you have lots of fun while you're here.

I merged your thread with a similar thread in which many of us talked about our favorite characters some time back, but some people's opinions may have changed, so it's always good to resurface an old thread. :)

In the future, please refrain from using txt langugage and use correct grammar, as we do have some non-native-English speakers here who find that rather difficult to read. Thanks and have fun.

arach

Re: hu iz ur favorite brother?and y.

yardgames said:
In the future, please refrain from using txt langugage and use correct grammar, as we do have some non-native-English speakers here who find that rather difficult to read. Thanks and have fun.
You should write that down already for copy + paste use later, shouldn't you? :p

My favourite ones of the brothers definately is Dewey. He is nice when you are nice to him, and I like that weirdness.

Reese is too dumb, and Malcolm is too desperate. Francis already counts as an adult, and Jamie is a useless baby.

allison

I don´t know if this was said before (I don´t think so), but we also could see Dewey´s fondness for music a long time before he officially became a genius. He always liked to dance when he was alone. I think that´s really cool, because in Humilithon (the second episode of the 4th season, so a long time before this became an important thing about the character Dewey) we could see how talented he is.
This is a very small detail now, but I think it´s funny that Reese always was supposed to be kind of a coward, since this stands in big contrast to his tough image. He always was the first one who tried to escape when there was a dangerous situation (Carnival) and you also could see it a bit in Zoo when he threw the goat into the cage and ran away screaming. :p There also were some other moments which I can´t remember right now.

@Garbage kills Megan:

I´m not sure if Reese is supposed to be really vain. Only thing I know is that he´s a little obsessed with his hair (Hal´s friend, Goodbye Kitty). There were some references to it, though, e.g when Jessica said that he cares so much about his body and stuff. But that doesn´t necessarily mean he´s really vain. I don´t know if this is real vanity, but in "Hal coaches", when Malcolm became obsessed with the computer game, he gave Reese´s character 0 for hygiene. Maybe he just did it because he thought it was fun, but in Funeral we learned that clothes which had been worn by Reese tend to smell like wet dog. :D I think if Reese was supposed to be really vain, they would make him take showers all the time and stand in front of the mirror instead of writing in jokes about his missing hygiene.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
He might not be hygenical in most parts of his body, but I remind you that his hair is extremely important to him.

allison

Yeah, that´s what I was trying to say by "he´s a bit obsessed with his hair". I just think that vanity includes both hygiene and the fact that someone cares a lot about his appearence. But I don´t know, maybe he is vain. At least there are more references to HIS vanity than to the other boys´vanity I guess.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
allison said:
I don´t know if this was said before (I don´t think so), but we also could see Dewey´s fondness for music a long time before he officially became a genius. He always liked to dance when he was alone. I think that´s really cool, because in Humilithon (the second episode of the 4th season, so a long time before this became an important thing about the character Dewey) we could see how talented he is.
Yes! That is the great thing about that part of Dewey's character. You do see Dewey dancing a lot (and that dance he always does is so funny!) and then we find out that he is a really good singer. It is something that slowly developed over all six seasons. I think that's really cool.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Lois keeps everything. She said so herself in Chad's Sleepover while she as looking for the blender warrenty.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I mentioned this in another thread, but I really like what they've done with Dewey in seasons 6 and 7 (and somewhat in season 5 ). He's really become more of a main character, on the same level with Malcolm and Reese. Not that he wasn't a main character before, but in earlier seasons, I always thought of him as just the "little brother" who was always just "there" in the background (kinda like Jaime is now :D ). I like how they've made him smart and manipulative and even a little evil sometimes, while still keeping him an extremely likable character that we can identify with.

Anyone else have anything to add about their favorite character traits?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
As everyone may or may not know my favorite is, of course, HAL!:D I like Hal because he's so damn likeable, unlike some tv dads(another tv dad i like, while not as nice as Hal, is Fred Sanford.:D ) Don't get me wrong, Hal has moments when he gets mad. Point in case, "Lois Birthday" when Hal gets mad at the clown and punches him(also earlier in the episode Hal got mad at the boys for buying candy). Another case is when Hal is caring for the boys and all those little figures of him are talking to him in his head(one of the best parts of that episode comes when Hal runs in the kitchen and yells,"SHUT-UPPPP!!!!" :D ). Another trait about Hal I find funny is that he is easily befuddeled. I love it when Ida is suing the family and Hal goes out to the car and goes nuts(he starts throwing paper cups around:D ). And of course, in "Reese joins the Army" when Hal was framed. That whole storyline was funny!:D
While I like everyone on the show, Hal just strikes a cord because he's so funny! Argueably, the best tv dad ever!

reese35

Basically, all of the Wilkersons are a lovable bunch. Specifically, Reese is a bully and a jacka$$. Malcolm is smart and yet slightly egotistical, so much he couldn't accept his own clean yearbook pic. Dewey's become the adorable, manipulated one. Lois has hard-a$$ parenting methods, but she means well. Hal's less calm - inability to make decisions on his own - and goes all out to protect his young. Francis went through all his life trying to shift blame on someone (first Lois, then Piama). But all-in-all, how could you not love these people?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I like the way there is so much depth Hal, that show in his activities, i truly think he could do anything well. He has had many one off job changes everyone went well (if i remeber correctly) However he still works a dead end job. I thnk you see a lot of complications in hal, as tony said with the imaginary selves, the paitning, the clown fght etc.

D

Deleted member 1693

More like Hal forgot about it; they scared him half to death. As I recall, he almost cut up Malcolm with a butcher knife when he tried to exchange his fruit roll-up. I think that detail has actually been rather prevelant throughout the series.

Malcolm's facial expression was so dramatic when that happened. xD

D

Deleted member 1693

Hal is a lunatic
Malcolm says the mundane line: "You seem busy, I'll come back later."
At the same time he nearly feints with horror.
LMAO
Frankie is underated lol

Yeah, that's true.

For some odd reason, that was almost the scene I laughed at the most out of all of the scenes in the show. The others include when Malcolm screeched/squealed when Hal opened the door to "his" hotel room and right after Dewey scared Reese with the sound of fluttering after the butterfly incident.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Lois keeps everything. She said so herself in Chad's Sleepover while she as looking for the blender warrenty.

Yet they just shove it all into boxes, making it impossible to find anything when they need it again, like in Clip Show #2 when they were attempting to make their will.