Before the Pilot

jetcombo15

yardgames said:
No, it most certainly did not. There were some things, indeed, but a) this isn't one of them and b) there's a lot less than other series. In the Simpsons, no one ever ages and Joey had like three 30th birthdays on Friends.

Then again the Simpsons are a cartoon. However it is a bit odd knowing that Bart, Lisa, and Maggie, but then in newer episodes with celebrity cameos (the one with 50 Cent comes to mind), they're still the same age. I do remember Lisa turning 8, in one episode.
Speaking of continuity, in MITM, I'm really glad that some of the characters that were supposed to be one-timers on the show then turned out to be regulars, which is unlike most sitcoms where the characters pretty much remain unchanged throughout the entire series (sometimes adding one or two new characters to the show, but other than that, any other characters are usually spoken of but remain unseen). I'm glad that didn't happen on MITM. I hope that made sense.

reese35

I'm sure it did. ;) And welcome to the forums, BTW. Back to the topic... what about Hal's wild side? His tattoo across his hind, his friend Larry, etc.?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
yardgames said:
No, it most certainly did not. There were some things, indeed, but a) this isn't one of them and b) there's a lot less than other series. In the Simpsons, no one ever ages and Joey had like three 30th birthdays on Friends.

I knew from when we had this discussion sometime last year that you disagree, I think this thread PROVES the lack of continuity. When you were posting the background information from your timeline, you even mentioned in it that events came up in different seasons at different times, like Francis's birthday was one example.

You also disagreed that there were any storylines and characters that were not followed up, unresolved or disappeared, when there were a number of them, and I'm sure there are many TV shows this has also occured in.

It doesn't mean those who do agree like MITM any less. The continuity in particular is noticeable in a number of episodes, and people who have watched the whole series will know that. I'm not saying you haven't, but whether anyone agrees or not, it's there and it's happened.

There's going to be continuity descrepencies in any show that's run for 7 years, without any grand plan. The exceptions seem to prove the rule on how few errors there are though- and the quirky and slightly less honest nature of the wilkerson's masks most of them. Quick question- how often were the Wilkerson's referenced as Wilkerson, I'm never really comfortable using their surname.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Officially, never. The cast refers to their surname as "Nolastname" rather than Wilkerson, but apparently some British TV stations use "Wilkerson." The only reason that caught on is because Francis wore a "Wilkerson" nametag during a deleted scene in the Pilot. There were also several references in the script, including a joke Malcolm's friend Richard was originally to tell when the two of them were walking to school. But Linwood decided he didn't want to reveal it at the last minute for fear that it would limit future storylines. IMO, the lack thereof has limited it more, but it's one of those quirky MITM-only things.