Spring Break

yardgames

Retired Administrator
So it's spring. Most of us either had a break from school recently or will be having one soon. Except Rye; doctors have to work all year round. :-D Anyone doing/did anything neat? Going anywhere special? We had trips up the mahogany last year. I remember Chris showing us pics of the MITM house from when he visited LA. If anyone else has any pics--even if they don't have anything to do with MITM--you should upload them so we can take a look.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
@ Tony - that was pretty much how my holidays were like when I was at school... boring ::)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I partied with friends a few times, but stayed home and slept mostly. ;D I would have liked to have gone to the beach, but it's still pretty cold around here (which is really odd for late-March and April.) Anyway, it was pretty uneventful. I was in no rush for it to end though.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Yeah, I've talked to them on the phone/e-mail a few times. Most of them have moved out of the area so we can't easily get together in person. One is still here, but she's married and has a 1 year old (which obviously makes it really hard to go out and do something fun.) It was nice talking to everyone again though.

So you're almost done with high school now. I bet you're getting really excited!

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Oh, yeah, staying at home and sleeping, that's the best! :yes: And I see I'm not the only one enjoying that. ^^
Anyways, I have like, two weeks of vacations every 6-8 weeks, so it's really cool (that's how it works in french school... you have spring break... and what else in the us ?)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Spring break for a week or two, Christmas break for a week or two, then a big long summer break ranging from 2-3 months. I think I would like the French system. ;D

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Oh, okay, so that's pretty much the same 'cause we have 4 two-weeks holidays and then the summer holidays (2-3 months too). But I think that in the US, you finish school early, something like 2 or 3 p.m., and that's waaaay better than finishing at 6 every day! :scared:

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Weird. We start at 8 a.m. too. But it's kinda different everyday, it can variate between 6 and 8 hours of class per day. We have more holidays anyway! (I am NOT trying to consolate myself... :tt2:)

AlexTheMartian

Weird. We start at 8 a.m. too. But it's kinda different everyday, it can variate between 6 and 8 hours of class per day. We have more holidays anyway! (I am NOT trying to consolate myself... :tt2:)

8am - 6pm? that is more hours then a full-time working adult gets over here. :eek: I think working adults here work typically from 9am-5pm, as kids go to school here typically from 8am-3pm. I did go to a high school that went until 4:30pm for my first two years (which is one of the reasons I did not continue there).

And you just said it can variate between 6 and 8 hours of class per day, so in reality, since everyone here are in school for 6-7 hours, it is not really much different.

But you said until 6pm, and if you start at 8am, that is 10 hours at school, and if classes are only at the most 8 hours of that time, what is those extra two hours for??

Nico21

But you said until 6pm, and if you start at 8am, that is 10 hours at school, and if classes are only at the most 8 hours of that time, what is those extra two hours for??
Lunch time! And maybe also breaks between lectures.

I was on a placement abroad in a scotish university during the last three months, and I was very surprised to find the doors closed when I came earlier than 9am.
But nobody really eats at lunch time there, the guy who worked with me only had a tea at noon! So basically we have the same amount of lectures, but not at the same time during the day!
And when I was leaving at around 6pm (I couldn't prevent myself from going outside for lunch at noon), I was also surprised not to meet anyone in the campus!

RaposaNegra

In Portugal it's the same:

I start at 8.30 and finish at 18.35 (just two days).

The other 3 days I start at 8.30 and finish at 13.30.

But that depends on the area you are...

The last year of High School is the best... we only have 5 subjects instead of the 8 I have now...

But.. yeah we stay too much time at school... =/ but we have the beach at 5 minutes from school so... on the lunch break we can stay there :thumbup:

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
You're lucky if you get to leave school to go to the beach during lunch. Most schools in the US don't allow the privaledge of leaving school during school hours - even during your lunch. At least not in the area where I live. Other places may be different.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I live in a suburb outside Green Bay. In the city, everyone is allowed to leave for lunch at the high school level--younger kids obviously can't. In the suburb where I went to high school, that privilege was granted to seniors only.

And I can read minds--there's a couple of you snickering right now about how Green Bay can be big enough to have suburbs. Well, it does. :D

Nico21

Most schools in the US don't allow the privaledge of leaving school during school hours - even during your lunch. At least not in the area where I live. Other places may be different.

It's not really the same in France, since the age of 14-15 (I don't know how you call the corresponding level at school) I'm free to leave school for lunch. Before my parents had to sign a paper so that I could eat at home, but it was also possible.
And now I have to leave school for lunch, because there's nothing to eat there! I have to go to a students' restaurant somewhere else in the city.
And I think here is the big difference, my university is a single building with nothing around, whereas I think you have bigger campusses providing all you need to stay !