Has anyone else noticed (earlier eps)

Amigo22

Super Moderator
that sometimes in scenes of the family eating dinner, not everyone is actually eating? Like in Pilot & Stock Car Races, where Malcolm gets himself a waffle for breakfast he sits playing around with it and doesn't actually eat it?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Maybe it's a plastic waffle? Usually the family is eating, I think, unless they're too busy talking.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
They probably don't really eat because sometimes they spend hours filming one scene until they get it perfect. So if they were actually eating the food the entire time, they would be really stuffed by the time they were finished. :D I guess they figure noone really notices stuff like that. They do eat in other scenes though--like the time Reese is eating scrambled eggs off the plate with his mouth (Health Insurance). Must only be in scenes where the food is actually important. Who knows...

Squeaky Yugi

Also, because they do so many takes, the food gets cold and unappetizing, but it only has to look delicious for the cameras, so they don't bother replacing it.

admin

Retired Administrator
Amigo22 said:
that sometimes in scenes of the family eating dinner, not everyone is actually eating? Like in Pilot & Stock Car Races, where Malcolm gets himself a waffle for breakfast he sits playing around with it and doesn't actually eat it?

I reckon its for two reasons pesonally

Firstly if you eating you can't talk, therefore you can't speak your lines and the seen would have silence in it

Secondly if you did eat you would do it with your mouth open and it would be both quite disgusting to watch and perhaps rather muffled! :D

Also sometimes actors find it difficult not to laugh at each other, eating would add to that problem too.

vinnymonster

or, there may be another reason. Consider this, if you were a part of Reese's family, would you dare eat food you didnt know for sure he hadnt tampered with?

han_keep_smilin

I noteced that. I have seen it once were the mum starts eating pizza but that was only when the rest of them go out the room and they are not talking.:)

MITM97

I know it's an old thread but to add there is a scene in Christmas (3.07) that Hal is eating a waffle and he's talking at the same time.