EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012!

Magic-J

The trailer runs at 24fps :confused: And it's personal, i just can't stand the PAL speed-up. First of all, if it's not pitch corrected, the actor's voices sound ugly and strange. Finally, an exemple: i have a movie in both PAL & NTSC, the PAL version is 01 H 42 mn and the NTSC version is 02 H 07 mn which actually makes a huge difference!

Richiepiep

Administrator
I already posted this a while ago haha! :D So... are the episodes running at 24 fps which is the OG framerate or are they in 25 fps with the typical awful 4% PAL speed-up?
Sorry about that. I hadn't figured out the link in your post. My bad!

Rich

Richiepiep

Administrator
The trailer runs at 24fps :confused: And it's personal, i just can't stand the PAL speed-up. First of all, if it's not pitch corrected, the actor's voices sound ugly and strange. Finally, an exemple: i have a movie in both PAL & NTSC, the PAL version is 01 H 42 mn and the NTSC version is 02 H 07 mn which actually makes a huge difference!
Well, I haven't noticed any difference in pitch, so I don't think there's any speed-up in the episodes. Or I may not be able to hear it. The thing to do would be recording a bit from the original US release, and then paste on the same bit from the current Fabulous release, but right now I don't have the time.

mass5160

Was the trailer posted online? There aren't any PAL/NTSC restrictions for online videos, so you could post a video with 10fps if you really wanted to, whilst DVD has certain restrictions; far as I know, it would be 'illegal' (in DVD terms) to have a video stream at PAL resolution, but at 24fps frame rate.

If these ever make it to Blu-Ray, you'd be guaranteed they'd run at the correct speed. I guess the distributor just doesn't have the money to do it at the moment.

Richiepiep

Administrator
just a heads up, you can currently get the first season for £18.99 over at Sainsburys!

http://www.sainsburysentertainment....1052448&utm_medium=basefeed&utm_source=google

Just me who thinks Bryan Cranston really doesn't look himself in this promo picture for Season Two? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71Q-0PORDyL._AA1461_.jpg
Please explain the notion of 'self'. Especially in the case of Bryan, it's a rather elusive concept ;)

From our Gallery (you can closely inspect the full version there):

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3505

Malcolm_in_the_Middle_S2_Family_MITMVC_.jpg

As far as I know, only S7 promos were photoshopped.

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Was the trailer posted online? There aren't any PAL/NTSC restrictions for online videos, so you could post a video with 10fps if you really wanted to, whilst DVD has certain restrictions; far as I know, it would be 'illegal' (in DVD terms) to have a video stream at PAL resolution, but at 24fps frame rate.

If these ever make it to Blu-Ray, you'd be guaranteed they'd run at the correct speed. I guess the distributor just doesn't have the money to do it at the moment.
OK, I did find some time today, and these are audio clips I recorded from the 2002 US (NTSC) release and the 2012 UK (PAL) release. I thought I'd choose the Shame cold open trumpet intro. As you can hear, there's no pitch difference whatsoever. Discussion closed, hopefully?

Rich

Last edited:

mass5160

OK, I did find some time today, and these are audio clips I recorded from the 2002 US (NTSC) release and the 2012 UK (PAL) release. I thought I'd choose the Shame cold open trumpet intro. As you can hear, there's no pitch difference whatsoever. Discussion closed, hopefully?

Rich

Ok, I know someone who's copy has arrived, and I convinced them to send me a short clip from the DVD. The audio pitch is indeed correct, as you confirm, but that's because the set is in NTSC. So they are NOT in PAL at all. I can confirm that they are 720x480 resolution, and 29.970fps, as I have run them through Virtualdub, and checked media properties on VLC Player, and both confirm it.

lmddawson

Please explain the notion of 'self'. Especially in the case of Bryan, it's a rather elusive concept ;)

Fair point, but I don't know, he just looks completely different from what his character Hal usually looks like. Looks like a completely different person to me in that picture! :confused:

BBC2

I have an idea how to get around this actually. What episodes don't have any revealing goofs (visible crew members/ lighting stands, ect)?

So the episodes that don't have unintended shots, i can watch on the DVD, and ones that do, i can watch on 5* as they broadcast them in 4:3 :D

Scratch that, 5* are currently on season 2 and will takes ages to get back round to season 1, so i've had another idea! Pause the opening titles which are in 4:3, and cut two pieces of black card to size and stick them onto the black bars displayed on screen, and now you have your very own manual made 4:3 ratio :D

Richiepiep

Administrator
Ok, I know someone who's copy has arrived, and I convinced them to send me a short clip from the DVD. The audio pitch is indeed correct, as you confirm, but that's because the set is in NTSC. So they are NOT in PAL at all. I can confirm that they are 720x480 resolution, and 29.970fps, as I have run them through Virtualdub, and checked media properties on VLC Player, and both confirm it.
This is really confusing. So you mean that the current Fabulous release is NTSC, even though the Fabulous site says it's PAL?

http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/97

Can Region 2 and NTSC go together at all? And if the sound and image are the right speed and pitch, and both standalone DVD player and media player software accept it as Region 2, and play sound and image correctly, does it matter if it is NTSC?

When I play the Fabulous DVD with VLC Player (menu Tools -> Codec Information), I get (indeed) 720x480 resolution, but a framerate of 59.94. The 2002 Fox US release has the same specs, by the way. I don't know how to get PAL/NTSC specs.

Rich

Richiepiep

Administrator
Scratch that, 5* are currently on season 2 and will takes ages to get back round to season 1, so i've had another idea! Pause the opening titles which are in 4:3, and cut two pieces of black card to size and stick them onto the black bars displayed on screen, and now you have your very own manual made 4:3 ratio :D
Haha, well, it isn't as bad as I said, perhaps. I've noticed that my TV set doesn't show the full width of the image, compared to my PC-based media player. This is the first time I've noticed this, but I don't know how this works out for other TVs. So, I hardly spotted the hands pushing Stevie's wheelchair this time.

That it is a feature (shortcoming) of the DVDs is already apparrent in the online trailer on Vimeo, by the way.

Look at the fuzzy black stripes to the right and left of the first image, and the side of the tiled bathroom wall on the right in the second shot.

Rich

mass5160

Can Region 2 and NTSC go together at all? And if the sound and image are the right speed and pitch, and both standalone DVD player and media player software accept it as Region 2, and play sound and image correctly, does it matter if it is NTSC?

When I play the Fabulous DVD with VLC Player (menu Tools -> Codec Information), I get (indeed) 720x480 resolution, but a framerate of 59.94. The 2002 Fox US release has the same specs, by the way. I don't know how to get PAL/NTSC specs.

Rich

Well, PAL resolution is 720x576 and can only be projected at 25 fps. And you can have either PAL or NTSC DVDs at any region (Just for the record, Japan is Region 2, but in NTSC).
VLC always gives me strange frame rates like that too, which is why I double checked in Virtualdub, which says the frame rate is 29.970.
I do think its incredibly strange what they've done here, but I guess it won't hurt anyone. Could simply just have been a mistake by the distributor I suppose. If not, then I wonder if they'll release every season this way?

Magic-J

Yes, a Region 2 DVD can be NTSC, from a technical point of view, DVD's regions have nothing to do with PAL or NTSC. I've made bunch of Region 2 DVDs in NTSC and they work amazingly on any DVD player.

When you see 59,94 fps instead of 29,97 it's normal, the reason is that video is interlaced on most of DVDs. When a video source is interlaced we don't talk about frames but fields. Basically, two fields constitute a frame. So instead of having 29,97 frames per second you have 59,94 fields per second.

And for your TV you have to know that lots of TVs "crop" between 5 and 10% of the full picture you can normally see. This is called "overscan".

Finally, these black fuzzy bars you can see on some images are called "mattes" this is due to the lens hood that is mounted on the camera. Another time, MITM was intended to be in 4:3 so it's normal that you can see some random objects in the background. :)

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Well, PAL resolution is 720x576 and can only be projected at 25 fps. And you can have either PAL or NTSC DVDs at any region (Just for the record, Japan is Region 2, but in NTSC).
VLC always gives me strange frame rates like that too, which is why I double checked in Virtualdub, which says the frame rate is 29.970.
I do think its incredibly strange what they've done here, but I guess it won't hurt anyone. Could simply just have been a mistake by the distributor I suppose. If not, then I wonder if they'll release every season this way?
Thanks for the explanation. So, if we accept it's NTSC, what would be its drawbacks to us? Do we get a slightly lower resolution, but with a higher framerate? This would mean, a better flow, but poorer image quality? Whereas in PAL, we have better image detail, but more jerkiness?

Rich

Richiepiep

Administrator
Yes, a Region 2 DVD can be NTSC, from a technical point of view, DVD's regions have nothing to do with PAL or NTSC. I've made bunch of Region 2 DVDs in NTSC and they work amazingly on any DVD player.

When you see 59,94 fps instead of 29,97 it's normal, the reason is that video is interlaced on most of DVDs. When a video source is interlaced we don't talk about frames but fields. Basically, two fields constitute a frame. So instead of having 29,97 frames per second you have 59,94 fields per second.

And for your TV you have to know that lots of TVs "crop" between 5 and 10% of the full picture you can normally see. This is called "overscan".

Finally, these black fuzzy bars you can see on some images are called "mates" this is due to the lens hood that is mounted on the camera. Another time, MITM was intended to be in 4:3 so it's normal that you can see some random objects in the background. :)
Super! I get it! I suppose you mean 'matte' instead of 'mate'? As in 'travelling matte'?

mass5160

Magic-J - I never personally thought about the 59.94fps thing like that, makes sense though lol.

Richiepiep - Only real drawback would be compatability, but most people nowadays will have equipment capable of displaying NTSC signals. The slightly lower vertical resolution does result in a minimal amount of detail loss, but I doubt its anything to write home about.

Ironically, the higher NTSC frame rate is what results in the jerkyness, as the extra frames have to be made from existing ones. Look at this site, which explains the 3:2 pulldown method.
http://www.zerocut.com/tech/pulldown.html
I only notice jerkyness on animation to be honest.

Richiepiep

Administrator
And we have DVD reviews coming in!

.... tying in with the new UK release. Wow, they're all extremely favourable! :D

"The beauty of Malcolm in the Middle and why it worked was that the writing is done with love, it’s done with an understanding of the stories and the fact that all of the chaos even if magnified for comic affect are events that do happen in typical families (...) Malcolm in the Middle is a show that has aged well (...) The first season was arguably Malcolm in the Middle at the top of its game, even after watching all of the episodes you’ll want more, I know I was. (...) For me, if there are any negative elements to this first season it’s that it leaves you wanting more."

http://www.blogomatic3000.com/2012/09/23/dvd-review-malcolm-in-the-middle-the-complete-first-season/

Five-star review:

"Malcolm In The Middle remains a great piece of comedy tv, and one that really brought in the single camera element to modern audiences. Whip-smart, genuinely human and painfully funny, season one is a perfect taster of the show, and moreso, a brilliant season of television. With great extras and the widescreen editions of the episodes, it's a must own for collectors."

http://boxofficebuz.com/news_full.php?id=5862

Four-star review:

"Although this first series is a little focused on Malcolm to the occasional detriment to the rest of his family, it's a minor niggle that does little to get in the way of the stories or prevent the show from being a well balanced ensemble. Overall Verdict: A fantastic family show for all ages in which everyone will discover someone or something to relate to."

http://www.moviemuser.co.uk/Reviews/10225/Malcolm-In-The-Middle---Season-1-DVD.aspx

"Each episode is wonderfully written and is consistently amusing, witty and sharp, making it tremendously watchable and likable. (...) Overall, there is a nice array of extras to keep you occupied for a good amount of time. The show itself is brilliant, and found myself watching episode after episode and didn’t want to stop."

http://www.liveforfilms.com/2012/09/26/dvd-review-malcolm-in-the-middle-season-one/

Five-star review:

"Malcolm in the Middle is one of those TV shows that I had forgotten about but once reminded of recalled just how brilliant it was. (...) Having now re-watched the show I am hugely impressed and appreciative of what a great piece of television this was and still is. The show has held up surprisingly well and is potentially more subversive for its genre than it was 12 years ago."

http://www.filmwerk.co.uk/2012/09/11/malcolm-in-the-middle-season-1-dvd/

Four-star review:

"The cast did a fantastic job of bringing these aspects to life and Frankie Muniz was perfect as the central character. The show stealers though are Jane Kaczmarek and Bryan Cranston as the kids’ parents. The two have a great chemistry and their characters work well together onscreen. (...) Malcolm In The Middle: The Complete First Season is a joy to revisit. It’s not hard to understand why the show was such a ratings hit on its debut and it has aged fairly well. (...) Malcolm In The Middle is an American comedy classic."

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/tv/articles/malcolm-in-the-middle-the-complete-first-season

Five-star review:

"Bryan Cranston (...) is a truly gifted comedian and is very watchable as the lost but loving father. Jane Kaczmarek (...) is simultaneously hilarious and unlikeable but Kaczmarek does a wonderful job at making it seem that her drastic actions and punishments are totally necessary in order to stop the anarchy all the men in her life create. Speaking of her anarchistic boys, each of them (...) are marvellously differentiated characters and all give great performances that never outstay their welcome as many child performances can. (...) The crazy plots are brilliant. (...) The story of each episode is fantastically constructed and beautifully executed. The direction in the series is some of the best seen in American sitcoms."

http://thepeoplesmovies.com/2012/09/malcom-in-the-middle-season-one-dvd-review/

Five-star review:

"Overall, this is a funny and entertaining sitcom as seen through the eyes of Malcolm. Jane Kaczmarek is excellent as the mother. With his 3 other brothers, crazy mother, well-intentioned father and geeky classmates it is a recipe for disaster and great laughs. I thoroughly enjoyed watching these DVD’s (I had never watched them on TV before) and were great fun and very enjoyable with loveable characters."

http://www.whatsgoodtodo.com/pages/view/malcolm_in_the_middle_first_season_review

And reviews keep flooding in:

Four-and-a-half-star review:

"Its characters, storylines, and dialogue are just as hilarious as I remember, and I have the added benefit now of getting the jokes put in for the adults. (...) Craig Lamar Taylor gives a terrific performance as Malcolm’s best friend, Stevie. (...) Likewise, Daniel von Bargen is absolutely brilliant as Francis’ military academy leader, Commandant Spangler. But of course, the real credit is due to the family for giving inconceivably brilliant performances as though they were a real family. The magic here is that we never feel like they’re acting, which is a very hard thing to find amongst child actors. The jokes always hit the right notes, the beats are always timed to perfection, and the plots are always the perfect fit for the twenty-minute episode without ever feeling procedural. (...) I’ve gone back and watched a handful of shows I used to watch when I was younger, but this has by far been the best goldmine to rediscover."

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2012/10/01/malcolm-in-the-middle-season-1-dvd-review/

Three-star review: (gee, can't be that low! But the tone's a tad gimmicky and smart-alecky)

"So yes, it's familiar. But it avoids the usual after-school-special morality of family comedy. (...) But is it funny? Yes, albeit without that many laugh-out-loud moments, for me."

http://www.littlebigpicture.co.uk/review/malcolm-in-the-middle-the-complete-first-season-dvd.php

P.S. Just submitted all of these ot the IMDB External Reviews section (there are few 'official' MITM reviews right now, due to limited 2002 DVD release)

Last edited: