Spoilers: Hal Grieves

admin

Retired Administrator
Air Date: 2/19/06 (SUNDAY)
Time Slot: 7:00 PM-7:30 PM EST on FOX
Episode Title: (MIM-714) "Hal Grieves"

GEORGE TAKEI PAYS HAL A VISIT ON "MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE" SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19, ON FOX

Special Guest Appearance by George Takei

Spoiler for Hal Grieves:
Hal gets a devastating phone call that his father has passed away, but because he never knew his father he doesn't shed a tear. In an attempt to overcompensate with his kids, Hal takes the boys shopping, lets them miss school and offers to buy Malcolm a new car until Lois steps in. And Hal's buddy Abe thinks that a visit from George Takei will cheer him up on the "Hal Grieves" episode of MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE Sunday, Feb. 19 (7:00-7:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (MIM-714) (TV-PG)

Cast: Jane Kaczmarek as Lois, Bryan Cranston as Hal, Frankie Muniz as Malcolm, Christopher Masterson as Francis, Justin Berfield as Reese, Erik Per Sullivan as Dewey and Craig Lamar Traylor as Stevie. Guest Cast: George Takei as himself

Ausdude

cool, thanks for that. looks like it'll be a funny episode.
does anyone know how many episodes they'll get to by May?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Sounds good. Still no mention of what Reese is up to. They're really keeping the outcome of Brides of Ida under wraps! I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)

@Ausdude--There's typically 22 episodes per season, so if this is ep 14 there will probably only be 8 more. :( Welcome to the forums, BTW. We look forward to your thoughts and opinions. Feel free to ask me, J., yardgames or admin if you have any questions. :)

Ausdude

Wildcat said:
Sounds good. Still no mention of what Reese is up to. They're really keeping the outcome of Brides of Ida under wraps! I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)
lol, yeh, i can't wait to see the episode after Ida's bride, can't imagine how it'll turn out :)

Wildcat said:
@Ausdude--There's typically 22 episodes per season, so if this is ep 14 there will probably only be 8 more. :( Welcome to the forums, BTW. We look forward to your thoughts and opinions. Feel free to ask me, J., yardgames or admin if you have any questions. :)
ok good, well im glad theres going to be around 22 episodes because i thought seeing as its finishing soon that they might slow down or something.
Thanks for the warm welcome, im happy to be part of a friendly forum :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Chris Masterson was on Carson Dailey (a late night talk show) the other night so I recorded it. He talked a lot about stuff that didn't relate to Malcolm (playing poker in his free time, his girlfriend, etc.), but he also talked about Hal Greives, which is the episode that he directed. They showed a clip so I thought I would describe it for you all.

Lois is on the phone talking to the credit card company. Apparently, Hal has maxed out their credit cards buying gifts for the boys. She thinks it was Reese so she goes to the boy's bedroom where she finds Reese wearing a wetsuit and scuba gear and Dewey wearing hockey gear and ice skates. Before she says anything Reese says "Malcolm's getting a car!" Then they stand there staring at each other for a few seconds and Reese says "I'm his grandpa!"

The last line doesn't really make much sense, but I'm guessing that Hal is buying the boys all this stuff as a way of making up for never doing anything for his grandpa before he died.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Sounds intersting, but im confussed.

Spoiler for click me - go on:
but because he never knew his father he doesn't shed a tear
Hal not know his father? ep 403 Family Reunion? Now ok he isnt exactly close with his father - you get the impression that he knows him ok and they joke and stuff, and maybe he doesnt visit him often but still, doesnt seem to make sense.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Spoiler for answer to TJ's question:

Hal's father always avoided Hal and tickled him insted of talking to him. Hal would ask a question and get a silly answer that wouldn't makes sense. Like a smoke screen, Hal knew his father was there, but could never actually get through to him.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Spoiler for ..........:
ive just watched the episode - i really dont think it works. he did know him, and the fact that he never had a close relationship means he would be more upset! didnt get in before he died to build the relationship.