Your Favorite Supporting Characters and a Debate about Craig's Weight

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
(since this is MITM related, Im putting it here)
I just was wondering who everyones favorite supporting characters on MITM are. Please list your top 3 and why you like them.
1)Craig-I always found Craig laugh-out-loud funny!:D He's just so ridiculous in how he runs things and how he manages the Lucky Aide store. Also, he lives alone with a cat. What's funnier than that?!

2)Mr.Herkebe-This may come as a suprise since most people dislike Herkebe, but I always found him very amusing, since he was Malcolm's archrival and teacher at the same time, and he was always giving Malcolm stupid assignments to do(like when Malcolm had to film Reese).

3)Commadant Spangler-This may be another suprise to some folks, but I always liked Spangler. I thought he was one of the best supporting characters around and it's a shame he hasn't made very many apperances since the first two seasons. I wish he would come back somehow before the show ends!:)

Anyway, those are my favs. Of course, there are others(Stevie,Otto,etc.)

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Re: Your personal favorite Supporting Characters

Well, it's hard to decide:

1) Probably Dabney Hooper, (see my name:D), he is just very funny and I could especially laugh my butt off when his secret crush on Malcolm is shown...

2) Piama (i think vinny will love that). She's very pretty, but also as chaotic and cool as Francis, and I like her arguments with Lois...

3) Abe and Kitty, it's so amusing to see how hard they try to keep any kind of danger away from Stevie...

yardgames

Retired Administrator

This is an interesting question, I'll have to think about it. There's so many that help to make the show great. My question, though, is when Dabney revealed he had a crush on Malcolm? I don't recall that.

Wemboy

yardgames said:
My question, though, is when Dabney revealed he had a crush on Malcolm? I don't recall that.

Not sure exactly, but I'd guess it was a season three episode. They're at school, and Stevie, Malcolm, Lloyd and Dabney are talking and he accidentally lets slip he thinks Malcolm is "handsome" then tries to cover it up. I love that bit too. Anyway my favourites:

Stevie: I kind of like that the way that Malcolm seems to think he's the cool, popular, one out of the two, and it becomes clear that he's really not. Stevie quietly seems to get one over on Malcolm whenever he wants, he can easily out scheme Malcolm, which irritates him no end.

Commandant Spangler: Definitely my favourite Francis story, and i love it when we get a glimpse beneath his icy exterior. I always liked the bit when he plays pool with Francis, and they're both trying to lose!

Craig: Sometimes i think his story is more sad than funny, i feel cruel laughing at the fact he's such a loser. But for me, you can't beat some of his conversations with Lois for sheer cringeworthiness; and i like it when he tries to give tips to Malcolm at work.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

I think I'll have to agree with Tony about Herkabe and Spangler. Although they're considered "the bad guys" for the most part, you can't help but like them in a way. Herkabe is so neurotic and OCD that he's funny sometimes. Also, I think he acts the way he does because his intelligence is the only thing that makes him feel good about himself. He was never good at sports, or had any friends (probably never even had a girlfriend in his life) so his superior intelligence is the only thing he has going for him. He sees Malcolm as a threat to that and therefore feels the need to make his life miserable every chance he gets. And even though he manages to make Malcolm miserable sometimes, he always gets what's coming to him in the end. It's funny to see him get what he deserves, but you kind of have to feel bad for him in a way too. He's one of those people that you love to hate, I guess.

I like Spangler because even though he acts hardened and militant, he's really a nice guy underneath that genuinly cares about his students. We got to see the real Spangler a few times when Francis got him to let his guard down. He only acts the way he does because he's trying to make his students into more responsible people (that's why they're in military school in the first place). I was dissapointed with how they dishonored his character by turning him into blubbering drunk in Dewey's dog, but I suppose everything worked out in the end. I would have rather been left with the idea that he was still at Marlin Academy though.

Craig kind of gives me the creeps sometimes, so I think I'll go with Stevie as my last favorite supporting character. I like Stevie because despite all the odds against him he tries to be as normal as he possibly can. Also, he takes Malcolm down a notch or two when he gets on one of his "I'm so superior" kicks and gives him the harsh truth about way he acts and treats people sometimes.

samboo1

Erm let me think... (in no order)

1. The Kenarbans- every one of 'em. Kitty was funny in Dunner Out and i like how Abe and Hal became best friends, since after seeing the Kenarbens, and how opposite they are to the Wilkersons, you wouldnt think they would ever be compatable.

2. Commandant Spangler- he was really funny to watch whilst he was in MITM. He was a calssic character in MITM.

3. Craig- he can annoy me but most of the time i find him funny. Felt really sorry for him in Reese Drives!:(

ajpp16

erm my 3 favourite supporting characters are (in no particular order):
  1. craig - he's just so funny with the way he sees things, his obsessions (like the arcade dancing) etc. :D
  2. piama - her relationship with lois is great, and shes cool lol :cool:
  3. mr herkabe - he can be funny in a evil way and his schemes like when he makes malcolm video reese or in malcolm defends reese when he trys to win that plaque are pretty clever! :eek: not surprising though considering how intelligent he is, and it is good to see when his plans backfire or fail (+his car is so old and falling to pieces lol)

Here is my personal Favourites:
1) The Buseys- I find them absolutely hilarious in every episode they're in. I think the guy that does his 'motorcycle' thing is funny!!

2) Piama- She is a good, supporting wife for Francis and she's also quite funny too, she has different moods and her surname is hilarious too, i think it's something like Tuhanahaukna!!

3)The Krelboynes- They are really clever (genius's) and they are also pretty cool too (not cool as in popularity) and they are also OK (that's if i met them)!!

I have to completely agree with tony_montana in terms of characters
CRAIG- Though, naturally his character has changed a little over time from a fairly quiet- almost bullied character in season one, to a far more irritating, but just as hilarious character in the latter seasons

HERKABE- Hilarious! He appears to be an extension of the character from season 4 (played by the guy who plays George in Sienfeld)- appologese, cant remember character, actor or ep names. An extension in the sense that its what Malcolm will quite possibly become

SPANGLER- All other Francis storylines pale in comparison, Spangler presented many qualities of Lois, therefore was important in establishing Francis' character, his attitude towards authoritarian figures in his life.

Just as a couple of asides, I really disliked Otto, I don't know why, but I tended to find his story's a bit too slapstick and simple, often a bit of an anonamoly, when compared with the rest of the episode.

I also REALLY don't like the Busey's, I feel the writers wanted to re-introduce the Krelboyne, outcast idea, but the characters appear a little too extreme.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator

yardgames said:
My question, though, is when Dabney revealed he had a crush on Malcolm? I don't recall that.

It is not said directly, but you can judge from his behavior, for example in "The bully" or "Malcolm's girlfriend"...

vinnymonster

Gonna go with Wildcat about Spengler and Stevie, and add that both characters show the quality of writing for MITM, they are, like all the MITM characters, fully developed and well concieved characters.

I'm also adding Piama to the list. She is the anchor to responsibility that Francis needs, but aside from that, I like her, so she's in my list, so there.:p

han_keep_smilin

My fave has to be craig he is really funny and i fell really sorry for him because he never has any friends:D

i also like spangler too he was funny too:D

allison

Deweyrules! said:
Just as a couple of asides, I really disliked Otto, I don't know why, but I tended to find his story's a bit too slapstick and simple, often a bit of an anonamoly, when compared with the rest of the episode.

I also REALLY don't like the Busey's, I feel the writers wanted to re-introduce the Krelboyne, outcast idea, but the characters appear a little too extreme.

I couldn´t agree more with you. That´s why the buseys and Otto are my least favourite characters.

My personal favourite supporting characters are

Cynthia:

I know lots of people don´t like her, because they think she´s just a bossy bitch. That may be true, but I think that most girls on the show are quite bossy and not likeable at all and Cynthia at least was funny. And she wasn´t even that mean, she saved Malcolm in Humilthon from being sent to military school.

The Kenarbans:

I like them all. They´re funny and I love subplots that feature Hal and Abe.

Craig:

I often feel sorry for him and he can be really annyoing, but he´s funny and a good guy (although I found him funnier before he lost all that weight. He´s not less funny BECAUSE he lost the weight, but since. It´s probably just a coincidence).

I also like the Krelboynes, Herkabe and Spangler. It´s really hard to decide, but the people mentioned above are probably my absolutely favourites.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I haven't noticed he lost weight. He still looks fat to me. :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

yardgames said:
I haven't noticed he lost weight. He still looks fat to me. :D

Such a sensitive group we have here....always concerned about protecting the self esteem of others. :D

BTW, I haven't noticed either. :D

allison

Come on, he lost weight between the 4th and 5th season. :D
Let´s see, here we have a season 3 picture (I hope you can see it)
normal_s03e17_09.jpg

and this is a season 5 picture:
normal_s05e17_38.jpg

I can see a difference. :D Just look at his face.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

Well, when you put it that way, you're right. :D He's definitely thinner in the season 5 pic. He probably lost about 30-40 lbs. I guess he's so "overweight" that you wouldn't readily notice unless you compared the pics side by side like that.

Jimmy Junior

Could it be that he just appears less fat in the second picture because he's standing up/smiling/wearing a looser top/wearing darker colours?