Brides of Ida (1) Opinion and Analysis

allison

I also liked this episode pretty much. The contest was fun and the end was kind of surprising (maybe if I hadn´t read any spoilers it would have been even more surprising) :rolleyes: I´m really not sure if Reese will stay married or not. I mean he always had bad luck with girls and Raduca maybe is finally the one who could make him happy since she hardly talks and seems to be okay with almost everything. So Reese probably doesn´t hurt her with his remarks and she won´t hurt him. But still I can imagine that Lois won´t be very pleased and I don´t really think that she´ll let Raduca live in her house sleeping in the boys´bedroom. :D
On the other hand if they annuled the marriage it would have been a pointless plot. Don´t get me wrong, I think it was entertaining and all, but whenever Reese does something he fails in the end. So it would be quite predictable. But still I hope he won´t stay married. As Wildcat said it would change the dynamics of the show. I just think the writers could do that to end the show with a "Reese who´s happy at last".

The Hal/Dewey/Lois plot was quite good, too. It was fun and once again we could see that Lois hasn´t lost her fighting spirit and never gives in. :D

simon_4420

At last I got to watch this episode!

I totally agree with everyone that this is the best of Season 7, after Burning man so far. I really can't wait for part 2! The contest between Malcolm and Reese was great and very entertaining:D . I thought that the Dewey, Lois and Hal part to the episode was great. It was a hole new side (kind of) to Lois and Hal, as, as far as I can remember we really haven't see them spend time with Dewey like that. I have to say that I laught way to much when Lois got sauce in Dewey's eye:D .
As this is likely to be the last Season, I hope they stay married.

Over all the episode was great and it was about time we had another 2-parter.

P.s Did anyone else find Ida being nice (well not nice, but not totally hell-bent on being evil) alittle odd at first, :D lol , I did!

Malcoholic

The "old ways" of Ida's country, which Ida is trying to preserve, are all designed to insure the survival of a people who clearly are located along one of the bloody ethnic fault lines of Eastern Europe, the scene of age-old conflicts between neighboring peoples, where the price of defeat can be extinction. Ida's "test of manhood" is a folk custom that insures that only the toughest males are allowed to breed, and weaklings are excluded from the gene pool. In a brilliantly clever plot, the theme of Ida trying to transport her folk ways to America is combined with the theme of Reese's inability to relate emotionally with girls. Ida is going to force Raducca to marry Reese as soon as Reese proves he's tough enough to be allowed to breed. What is, to the modern American mind, an unacceptably primitive way of selecting a mate, looks like a good deal to Reese--he's never had much prospect of carrying out a successful American-style courtship; the ancient ways of Ida's people are better suited to Reese's primitive temperament than those of modern American culture.

The over-sophisticated Malcolm is repelled by the brutality of Ida's "ways" and thinks he can foil the barbaric custom. Reese beats him at the two tests of physical toughness. But there is a third test: to survive, a man must be not just tough, but clever; otherwise, he can be entrapped by a weaker but trickier opponent. Malcolm beats Reese at the cleverness test, and he thinks he has triumphed over Ida's ways:
Malcolm: "The wedding is off! After two thousand years, your ways are dead!"
Ida: "I am content! The ways have been followed."
Malcolm: "What! No! No! You don't have to pretend you're OK with this! I never followed your ways! Well... , I did. But it was for a different reason!"
Ida: "Pack up your things, cow! We leave in five minutes."
Malcolm in fact validated the primitive custom--he weeded out a thug not clever enough to be allowed to breed. In an ironic twist, it's Reese who overthrows the old ways. He failed the manhood test, but he doesn't have to abide by it. This is America, not the old country, and in America Ida is powerless to enforce the old ways:
Reese: "I'm going to marry her anyway!"
Ida: "It is forbidden! The ways don't allow you!"
Reese: "Well then, from now on I reject your ways forever."
Then Reese makes a bleakly honest marriage proposal to Raducca: "Listen, I'm not the perfect guy. I might not even be a good guy. But if you marry me, we'll both be certain for the rest of our lives that I never could have done any better."
No American girl could accept such a proposal, but to Raducca Reese's clumsy declaration of love sounds a lot better than what was in store for her. It's no accident Ida calls her a "cow." Under the old ways, Raducca has no more say about her future than does a head of cattle. But now she's in America, and Ida has no more power over her. Marrying Reese is a liberation from the past. Ida is old and can't let go of the past; Raducca is young and wants to shake off the past. She and Reese run off to Las Vegas--a place that's a purely American invention, with no past, no traditions, no rules, no questions asked. That Vegas here represents what is totally American is reinforced by the background music: as soon as Malcolm says "Vegas," a version of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" starts playing and is the background music during the wedding ceremony.

The confontation between Lois and Dewey harks back to the last time Dewey entered a piano competition, in "Army 1." In that story the family was indifferent to Dewey being in the competition, and Dewey was indifferent to the calamities befalling the family--it showed a vicious circle of neglect from the family and self-absorption by Dewey. Here the theme is taken a step further--Dewey accuses Lois of being downright hostile to seeing her son succeed. The question of whether the accusation is true is left purposely ambivalent. Lois' "So what" appears to mean: "I don't think I'm trying to sabotage you, but who knows what dark motives may be lurking in my subconscious. I don't claim to be the perfect mother. It doesn't matter. Crap flies at you, that's the way life is. You've got to try to succeed anyway, and if your parents aren't as supportive as ideal parents ought to be, well then, you'll just have to try harder." The tone of this scene is uniquely MITM: it is as free of sugar-coating as it is free of bitterness.

Some side comments:
--The dog in the sack looked just like Marshmellow, the bull mastiff in "Dewey's Dog." I'll bet it's the same dog.
--The spoilers for forthcoming episodes say nothing about Reese, leaving the outcome of his marriage entirely in suspense. I'm on pins and needles!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I don't know how you continue to write such great analyses week in and week out but you really do manage to expose some of the deeper themes in MITM that I just wouldn't see if it weren't for you. This episode is hard to digest since we've only seen half of it, and it sounds like they're doing a really great job keeping the second half under wraps. :D

Hendrix

I really don't like these wacky out-there plots. I really can't explain it but, Francis marrying Piama was somewhat plausible because:

1) Piama was a great foil for Lois and you could see why Francis would like a woman like his mother
2) His reckless and crazy antics at The Academy(and the whole exploding-the-car and having sex with the blonde on his parent's bed thing) proved he would do something like that.

I mean, I used to remember when I could relate to the plots. How am I supposed to relate to Ida's competition or Hal inadvertently making a deal with terrorists. The Wilkersons used to be a real family with real problems.

And I got to say, Malcolm's minihawk takes me right out of every scene, lol.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
yardgames said:
This may make me seem completely ignorant, but what is a minihawk?

I believe it's the part of Malcolm's hair that looks like it's sticking straight up, but it's not long enough to be considered a mohawk.:D