No Motorcycles (Analysis of)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I will argue with you, sort of working my way from the bottom to the top.

Women have a method to their madness, and it is best to not question that method. Lois' method is against motorcycles. No motorcycles, no minibikes, no mopeds, period. We may never know the exact reasoining for this situation, but it is a recurring thought that Lois expresses. I would not have connected this episode to Mini-bike, had you not brought it up. But it is Hal and Francis who realize that Lois, as with all women, wants to be correct. Their fake accident is an illustration of that belief. Maybe it never happened, but if Lois believes it did, then she believes she is correct, and that's important to women.

People make "promises" all the time, but what are these childish agreements that it becomes a crime to break? In the spur of the moment, you can agree to a great many things and not even realize, but in a child's mind, a promise is more than a mere agreement or empty words, even if it isn't signed in blood. Just the thought of the rocket ship was enough to satisfy young Dewey. Francis was about Dewey's age at the time, and this promise meant the world to him. When Francis' brain locked the thought away until he turned 21, it registered to Francis as greater than a promise. It had far more power and was far more important than anything else in his life. His father had an obligation, and Francis was obliged as well, thus his misleading his own wife.

Finally, I would like to point out another allusion to a past episode, when Reese and Dewey were asking Malcolm when his "waiting" plans had ever worked in the past. He mentioned a hampster and a girlfriend, the latter of which was certainly referring to season 3's "Malcolm's Girlfriend" and confirming Malcolm and Dewey's accusation. We saw it in the named episode, and we've seen it in other episodes as well. As the boys develop, their character traits remain much the same.

As a final note, another superb analysis by appanah. Great job!

allison

Great analysis. I think there´s not much left to say. Especially in this episode I realized that Dewey seems to have matured. I mean not that it is mature to decide to get beaten up, but he was the first one who stopped complaining and tried to find a solution to their problem. And as appanah said, even in this situation he just saw the positive thing about the beating the bully gave him. In a way, Malcolm is the opposite of him. He´s over-thinking everything which makes him a quite unhappy person.He often just thinks too much about the consequences of his actions. In contrast to that, Reese never thinks about any consequences.
I have to admit I liked the old Dewey better, though. This maybe doesn´t belong into this thread since it is called "analysis of", but I realized that Dewey has become something like a "perfect kid". There´s no doubt that he´s smart and maybe he´s even a genius when it comes to music, but that isn´t what the show was originally about. When the show still focused on Malcolm we could see a kid who´s very intelligent but still (or maybe even BECAUSE OF THAT) never managed to be happy. And though he was surrounded by weirdos (Dewey, Hal), psychos (his mom:D ) and an older brother who isn´t very bright it always seemed like they were so much happier than him. I could relate more to Malcolm than I can now to Dewey.
Ok, but this is pretty off topic now. Talking about the episode again I think that Lois really overreacted. It´s really strange that she seems to be so scared of any kinds of motorcycles. And it also was kind of unfair on Hal since he had made a promise and just wanted to keep it.
Lois is very bossy and always has to be right (by the way, not every woman is like Lois (thank god) @Yardgames :D ), but this time I think she really wasn´t. Francis and Hal are both grown-ups and when they want to ride a motorcycle I think they should be allowed to. Maybe we´ll get to see an episode in the 7th season which explains Loís´fear of motorcycles.

Another good episode in my opinion. This time there wasn´t a Wilkerson secret revealed (well maybe Francis´drinking problem) but at least we could see Francis and Piama again.

Now there´s only one question left: Did anyone else notice that the boys keep dead frogs in glass bottles in their bedroom?

Dewey

Minimalistic
allison said:
Did anyone else notice that the boys keep dead frogs in glass bottles in their bedroom?
I noticed the frogs too. I wondered if they were Dewey's. Maybe he was keeping them for the same reason that I have crickets and grass-hoppers. But you say that they are dead - so perhaps not.

robbie244

i have watched most eppis of mitm and never seen the frogs in the jars where r they eg wot part of the room i will watch that eppi again if i can find out where they r exactly thanks, by the way it is unusual yes i mean dead frogs in a jar!