what jobs does everyone do??

simon_4420

I just thought that it might be interesting to find out what everybody does for work, whether it is full time or if you work in between school or even at all.

I myself work part time for Shell in a petrol station serving ungrateful people all day, when I'm not in Sixth form studying for my A-levels. It's not great but its a job and I dont mind doing it as it's not really very hard!

(if you are thinking that you might like to work somewhere where you have to serve the general public I would seriously think twice lol:D )

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, officially, I'm a full-time student, but I've taken the unpaid position of producer for my school's TV news show. It sure would be nice if I got paid for doing that because I spend quite a bit of time (e.g. 10 hours/ week) on that 15-minute production. :) But it's fun, obviously, or I wouldn't do it. And it looks good on college resumes. :D

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
At the moment I don't have any job, but it's okay as i'm still going to school. I had several jobs before, though, like in a supermarket and in a restaurant. And when I was younger I was a paperboy... :D

Actually I should get a job again, because i'm a bit short of money at the moment...

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I am a volunteer at a local historical village (called Batsto Village) But technically I am a musician undergoing tourture (aka school) on a daily basis. :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I'm a full time student, but I've been working in a department store in the mall for the holidays. I'll probably give it up when classes start up again. I'm on a science track so I have to take a lot of classes that have three hour long lab sessions (in additon to the regular lecture classes that you attend several times a week.) All that time sitting in class and all those research papers don't leave much free time. :(

admin

Retired Administrator
I would have to fall into that full time student catergory, although I could get a job, I just can't be bothered :D

airbikecop

Right now I am a part time student studying Human Services. When I'm not at school, I'm a part time worker at Burger King. It's pretty darn awful. I'm writing a book about my adventures at Burger King.

And there's so much drama, you wouldn't beleive. Most if it I can't post here due to mature content. Luckily, I have stayed out of most drama, and I am one of the longest lasting employees other than the morning porters and some of the managers.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Full time student, i have considering getting a job but i just have the time! and if i was to do it friday/saturday eve that would ruin my social life.

Jimmy Junior

I work in an insurance call centre during the day (like one of those chickens off the tv commercial) and behind the bar in a bistro in the evening - both are repetitive jobs which I only do for the money. Although the jobs I'm doing at the moment aren't that bad, I agree that the general public are an incessantly rude bunch of ingrates; my ideal job would be one where I don't have to speak to customers who complain just for the sake of it.

About once a month or so I DJ in a nightclub in town, which is a bit more interesting because I don't do it very often, and it pays better.

simon_4420

Jimmy Junior said:
I work in an insurance call centre

My heart goes out to you, lol

An insurance company call centre that most be really hard, with everyone blaming you for the company policy and when they havent read the terms and agreements properly and expect things that they can't get because its not possible. I know that I could never work in a call centre after years of listening to my mum trying to get companies to pay money out to her because she felt it wasn't justified or her fault, lol, she is so deluded sometimes!
Do you really get as must abuse as I'm lead to believe??

admin

Retired Administrator
Amigo22 said:
You already do... moderating the MITMVC :D

I'm sure yardgames will be delighted to tell you that I don't exactly do a great deal of moderating! :D

vinnymonster

Jimmy Junior said:
I work in an insurance call centre during the day (like one of those chickens off the tv commercial) and behind the bar in a bistro in the evening - both are repetitive jobs which I only do for the money. Although the jobs I'm doing at the moment aren't that bad, I agree that the general public are an incessantly rude bunch of ingrates; my ideal job would be one where I don't have to speak to customers who complain just for the sake of it.

About once a month or so I DJ in a nightclub in town, which is a bit more interesting because I don't do it very often, and it pays better.

Tough job, I always feel sorry for the poor guy getting it in the ear for problems he or she hasnt caused.

Jimmy Junior

It's not actually that bad, because I don't deal with claims; my day mainly consists of telling customers to ignore letters that have crossed in the post with theirs, and explaining to people why their premiums don't go down when they've just bought an expensive new car.

"I've just received this letter today, saying you haven't received my signed proposal form - well I sent it yesterday."

"It should say at the bottom of the letter to ignore the reminder if you've already sent it?"

*Customer reads the letter out loud*
"Yes"

"So you can just ignore that letter then."

"Well I'm not happy about this - you people don't seem to know what you're doing. I never had this trouble with my last insurance company."

"OK, thank you for calling."

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Jimmy Junior said:
"I've just received this letter today, saying you haven't received my signed proposal form - well I sent it yesterday."

"It should say at the bottom of the letter to ignore the reminder if you've already sent it?"

*Customer reads the letter out loud*
"Yes"

"So you can just ignore that letter then."

"Well I'm not happy about this - you people don't seem to know what you're doing. I never had this trouble with my last insurance company."

"OK, thank you for calling."

People are soo stupid...