Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know (counted as 'Yes') :D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
That is the question.

We have been having a discussion about whether or not to send birthday cards to the main cast of the show in the shout box. And since it's more formal if we do a poll, that's what we will do.

So do we send a card from the MITMVC? a big card, or a small one? a funny one, or a nice one?

Since this is what we call a semi-democracy, we're asking you.

My opinion is that we get a big one that is nice, and we all scan our sig in, then someone attaches all the sigs to the card, and sends it in.

Because it is a big card, it is more likely to be noticed by the cast and media.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Re: To send, or not to send...

J. said:
My opinion is that we get a big one that is nice, and we all scan our sig in, then someone attaches all the sigs to the card, and sends it in.

I second that motion. Good point about the big card being more likely to be noticed. We should also include the address to the MITMVC forum just in case they get a notion to drop by and say "thanks." Unlikely, but still possible. :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I agree. Don't Kinkos have scanners if people don't have their own? (I wouldn't know, I don't have one in Green Bay :D) Otherwise, all the Europeans could send their's to someone else who has a scanner in that area. I think the main idea here would be to avoid intercountry postage costs.

If some artsy craftsy person wants to design the card, that would be good. Make it really high resolution so that we can print it off on big paper and it still looks good. In fact, why don't we have another competition; people responded so well to the box art competition. OK, done. :D This is now a competition. Submit your cards for Justin's Birthday here and we'll vote on the best one then gather up our sigs and nominate someone in the States to print it off, upload us all a nice pic of it, and send it to the studios.

(BTW, I closed the poll since it's now a competition :) Yes wins because my vote apparently counts as 562289 :D)

Oh, and technically this isn't an "official" competition because David didn't start it so I can't offer you any fancy prizes or anything, except the pride that your card ends up in Justin's mailbox.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Re: Competition: Birthday Card for Justin

The competition is a nice idea and gives it a personal touch, but the card should be big or at least have something on the envelope that will catch his eye. Otherwise it will probably just get lost in the massive load of fanmail that he gets and he'll probably never see it. I think a lot of Kinkos have a copy machine that makes poster sized copies. That's really too big though and finding an envelop big enough to put it in would be a problem. Any other suggestions to make it noticable?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

yardgames said:
I agree. Don't Kinkos have scanners if people don't have their own? (I wouldn't know, I don't have one in Green Bay :D) Otherwise, all the Europeans could send their's to someone else who has a scanner in that area. I think the main idea here would be to avoid intercountry postage costs.

If some artsy craftsy person wants to design the card, that would be good. Make it really high resolution so that we can print it off on big paper and it still looks good. In fact, why don't we have another competition; people responded so well to the box art competition. OK, done. :D This is now a competition. Submit your cards for Justin's Birthday here and we'll vote on the best one then gather up our sigs and nominate someone in the States to print it off, upload us all a nice pic of it, and send it to the studios.

(BTW, I closed the poll since it's now a competition :) Yes wins because my vote apparently counts as 562289 :D)

Oh, and technically this isn't an "official" competition because David didn't start it so I can't offer you any fancy prizes or anything, except the pride that your card ends up in Justin's mailbox.

Apperantly my vote counts more... :D

International postage is something we really don't want, so the scanner/e-mail idea is deffinatly best.

They sell massive cards at card shops, so we just make the card (if drawn by a MITMVC member) to twice that size, fold it in half, and stick in it that envelope. that takes care of the envolope.

The only problem I see is judging. How will we decide which is best, someone not in the contest would be best, and I think public voting may be a little, well, let's say not for the ocasion (sorry if I offened anyone) I just think the mods and Davey boy are better suited to be judges because, hey, this is going to Justin Berfield. But I'm open for enlightment.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Well, I think it should be publically voted on by everyone who signs it because it is, after all, from everyone.

Sending a card with signatures from around the world is quite a major undergoing in itself. The question I would ask is how big we want it to be. Maybe we should design it as a poster rather than a card, then just have it printed as a giant poster somewhere. If we can do that, we could even have it sent directly to Justin's address and save money on shipping, since someone will have to pay for it.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Anyone with 100 posts or more should be able to sign it, since we can't put 1000 names on the card.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

:D True. Level 2 members or above would be best.

And while we want it big, it's probably best if we keep it to a manageable size that can be homeprinted, because sending it to Kinkos can get expensive really fast, and we don't want to burden anyone too much with this idea.

I checked out Winkflash, the cheapest place I know for printing photos and, in this case, giant posters. A 12x16 is quite reasonable at $5.95. (Sorry for all these American measurements, Europeans; all these numbers are inches. :() but the hugest 44x68 size is $70, that may be a bit too big. :D So if someone has access to a large-format printer, maybe someone at a uni with a large printer, that would prolly be cheapest.

And we wouldn't need an envelope. Just throw it in a box.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

I don't think a 12x16 would do it.

Let's say 20 names, (approxametly) a greeting (or something) a url to here, and a piece of art by a MITMVC member.

I still think an envelope would be best, a box to a studio from a place they probably never heard of before looks a little suspicious in modern day America

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Thanks for volunteering to pay for all the supplies Justin! All who approve the motion, say I! I! Oh, well, we know how much my vote counts for, guess that problem's solved. :D

Ok, thsi has become a bit bickersome now. We'll figure out how to send it later. Let's allow the competition to progress and see if any other members actually want to share their input.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

I agreed to pay for nothing!

Besides, Davey boy's probably rolling in money after all the ads he has put on the fourm site. :)

But other then that, I agree.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

let's list what we have so far:

• We're sending a card to Justin Berfield for his birthday
  • 21 members will 'sign' it via scanning their sig and name to a central person.
  • That person will attach the names and send it to the studio of MITM
  • Someone from the fourms will create the card, making it creative, and really cool.
What we need:
  • Who will attach the names/send the card?
  • How will it be sent (card/box)?
  • What to put in the message.
Did I forget anything?

Too bad if I did...:)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

Not trying to challenge your authoritah (South Park reference), your modnesses, but maybe we can combine the two ideas. We can stick with the original plan of getting one of those giant greeting cards (the one’s that are about 2 feet tall and 1 foot wide or something like that). Then we can do the competition part where a member designs something, which can be printed out (maybe an 8x10 or 5x7 image or whatever) and attached inside of the greeting card along with the signatures. This would solve the problem of having to find a place to print out something that large at at reasonable price. There should be plenty of room to fit everything inside the card. The image and digital sigs can always be made smaller if need be. If we wanted, we could even choose two images and somehow attach one to the envelope for the giant card so it’s more likely to catch his eye. I agree with J that a box probably isn’t the best way to go. I read somewhere that a lot of celebs won’t open stuff that comes in boxes for safety reasons.

Also, even though there are over 1000 members, it seems like pretty much the same 30 or so people come on a regular basis. And of those people, a lot of them likely won’t participate. Maybe you could make the post count requirement like 25 or 50 instead of 100 (that just seems like a lot to me.)

Just a few suggestions. I won’t be offended if you think they suck. :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I don't think they suck, and I'm glad someone interrupted the argument betweeen J and me. :) A pre-printed card that we just customize a bit is an excellent idea! I don't think we need a specific amount of people; maybe rep points rather than posts is a better way to do it. What's a reasonable amount of rep? Two or three green squares? I mean, that way, anyone who wants to can, but we avoid people joining just to try and be noticed by Justin. And whatever you can think of to make teh envelope noticeable is great. How much does it cost to mail a giant greeting card? Maybe we need to have David put a fundraiser on the site, except to raise money for our birthday card instead of for himself. :D

allison

I´d like to join you (if I´m allowed to :D ) but I don´t have a scanner and I don´t know anyone here who has one. :(

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
First off- Wildcat, excellent idea, I know I hired you for a reason :D

I look foward to those arguments....... :)

And let me check something... 51 members would sign it then if 2 rep blocks were required, and most haven't been on in months. Maybe you must have at least 1 light green block (or just stick with 100 posts)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Whatever, I don't think the number of members that signs it is important. Regardless, it represents the MITVC. So we should concentrate on finding ways for people like allison to scan it. For instance, do any European members have scanners they would be willing to use to help out allison? Or, if you have a digital camera, allison, you could take a picture of your signature.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Allison, I do have a scanner, so if there's no other possibility, you can send your signature to me and I'll scan it. Inside Germany that's just 1 Euro you'll have to pay for the stamp.

And as for the design: Shall the design have anything to do with Justin, like with a huge picture of his? Because I think that he knows pretty well what he looks like and i don't think we need to include a picture of his.

allison

Thanks Dabney, that´s really nice of you! Maybe I know someone who has a digital camera that he can borrow me. If I don´t find anybody I´ll get back to you. :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
J. said:
First off- Wildcat, excellent idea, I know I hired you for a reason :D

Thanks! I'll be looking for my bonus check in the mail! :D

Dabney said:
And as for the design: Shall the design have anything to do with Justin, like with a huge picture of his? Because I think that he knows pretty well what he looks like and i don't think we need to include a picture of his.

Good point. It does seem kind of redundant to send him a picture of himself or the other cast members. I really don't know what the design should be like. I guess it could be more of a word art type thing (i.e. "Happy Birthday Justin from the Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community" done in some really fancy letters with balloons and stuff, or something like that.) I'm sure all the excellent designers here will come up with something good. :) I don't think I'm going to participate in this one since I was one of the winners last time.