Fanfic: Bad Boy

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Well, after 2 1/2 months, I have finally finished my MITM fic. I mentioned it a while back, but I only had a couple chapters done. It's really long so it might take awhile to read, but hopefully you will enjoy it. :D It deals with a lot of the issues that were discussed in the Is Malcolm a Real View of Teenage Life thread from a few weeks ago.

I'm uploading the pdf, but the whole thing is also online at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2569996/1/ I prefer the pdf though. It has a more "finished" look to it, I think.

If you read, let me know what you think. :)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I'll take a look at that and leave a few comments in the coming days, Wildcat.It looks impressive :D

AlexTheMartian

OMG THE BEST STORY I EVER READ :eek: :D :D

this should be a book, i'll buy it in a heartbeat (sorry for the irony, lol)

Reese is the best character on MITM and the most complex I believe. This was one of the best things I read in a long time, It makes me wish I was a director and I could actually direct this story into Malcolm In The Middle: The Movie :D :cool: :D

allison

It took me some time to read it, but this story is so great! Seriously, I couldn´t stop reading. :D The story was really cool and even if Lois and Reese seemed out of character at some points I think you´re right that this could be the way they would react in a situation like this. It was really interesting and some paragrapghs made me really laugh. It´s great how Malcolm, Dewey and Francis stick up for Reese. I like it when they do it on the show and I liked it in your story. Really nice job! Just like AlextheMartian I wish this was a movie! It is a bit "darker" than the show but there are also funny scenes and it´s really really good!;) :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Thank you so much for your nice comments Alex and Allison! :D I'm really glad you liked it!! I was wondering if anybody read it. :)

I would also like to see them explore stuff like that a little more on the show, but they never will because it's a comedy. Like Allision said, this is darker and more of a drama than the show. A MITM movie is a great idea though. I think they sholud make one for the series finale. Or at least an hour-long episode.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Gouki said:
Before I read it, can I just say the title screams 'angsty slash fiction.'

LOL, no, it is definitely not slash. It is angsty though. You're right, the title does kinda sound like it could be. Didn't think of that..:eek:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I got a chance to read it and definitely enjoyed it. Knowing as much as I do about MITM already, I found the beginning a tad annoying, but once I got through the introduction, it was very well done. And I learned your name--now I'll try and remember it :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Thanks Yardgames. I'm glad you liked it. Yeah, the beginning is basically in intro to their world and their personalities for people who aren't die hard MITM fans (no one here, of course :D ) Once you get past the first page, it really gets going.

reese35

I'll say this - had they made it into part of their episode roster, it would have been another 2-part episode, the first one lasting 60 minutes. The first epsode's commercial breaks could be as follows:
p1) Classic cold opener, completely unrelated.
p2) Chapters 1-5
p3) Chapters 6-8
p4) Chapters 9, 10
p5) Chapters 11, 12 (ending when Reese gets, you know, resulting in the cliffhanger

The second episode's commercial breaks
p1) Cold opener - "previously on Malcolm..."; family gets call
p2) Chapter 13
p3) Chapters 14-16

samboo1

Wow! Its really good Christina! Theres definatly a strong message in there. I said to myself id only read a bit tonight but i ended up getting hooked! Good job!

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Thanks a lot for your comments Reese35 and Sam. I'm really flattered that so many of you think this should be a real episode or MITM movie. :D I'm glad you enjoyed it!

AlexTheMartian

probably not a episode, but will be an awesome movie.

Hey didnt Secret Boyfriend episode (the last one) seem simular since he got kicked out of the house in that episode. only difference is he was not staying anywhere and was outside homeless

yardgames

Retired Administrator
There's three eps (excluding Francis) that I can think of where someone was kicked out. The first was, of course, Kicked Out, where Malcolm and Hal got into an altercation and Lois was absent to settle the dispute. The second was Reese's Apartment, but in that episode they made it sound like being kicked out was commonplace, with how Malcolm explained how the person who got to the door fist won (the same competition seemed to hold true for Malcolm in Kicked Out). My guess is that Secret Boyfriend was simply another relatively minor (in the grand scheme of things) instance where someone was temporarily kicked out of the house.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
AlexTheMartian said:
Hey didnt Secret Boyfriend episode (the last one) seem simular since he got kicked out of the house in that episode. only difference is he was not staying anywhere and was outside homeless

Yeah, I thought about it too. Only in the story he'd never been kicked out before and on the show he has. I meant to make a note of that. It was also funny how she put his sheets and stuff in her car. That's where she put all his music and video games when she first grounded him in the story. Pretty coincidental. :)

Malcoholic

I thought this was very skillfully written and very true to the characters. What appeared at first to be uncharacteristically harsh behavior by Lois in kicking Reese out when he so desperately needed help, was eventually explained when she says to the family that she'll let Reese back when she's convinced he's learned his lesson.

Some things I especially liked:

--Good use of guilt: this has always been a big part of how this family feel about each other. This story is awash in guilt feelings. Especially good is Malcolm's guilt about hanging up on Reese. Reese finally speaks again just as Malcolm is pleading with him not to leave Malcolm tormented with guilt for the rest of his life.

--Good use of Francis; the events in this story are very meaningful to him because of his past experiences, and this story makes him a much more integral part of the family than he has been in recent seasons.

--Getting Reese shot turns out to be not just melodramatic, but is important to the story because Reese now associates drug use with the agony of being shot--a kind of "aversion therapy," that gives the reader confidence that Reese will succeed in staying off drugs.

--Reese applying "reverse psychology" on Jade was a clever and unexpected turn; it allowed Reese to be caring, without lapsing into corny sentimentality.

--It was good to see some humor at the end, especially that the side of Reese that enjoys mischief for its own sake hasn't totally disappeared.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Wow, thanks for the awesome review and analysis Malcoholic! :) I'm glad you picked up on why certain things happened like they did. The things you mentioned are exactly what I was going for. Glad you enjoyed it!