704 Halloween: Opinions and Analysis

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I don't know. The first draft sounds like it would have been really funny with Malcolm and Reese pranking everyone, but then we wouldn't have had the great Hal/Malcolm plot. Those scenes were the best part of the whole episode so I wouldn't want them to be cut. :) But it would have been nice if we'd seen more of Reese and Dewey pranking people, rather than just running from the old man most of the time. In my opionion, the lucky aid scenes could have been a bit shorter, then they could have showed more of Reese/Dewey. They could of kept the idea from the first draft, only used Dewey in place of Malcolm. It doesn't mattter though, it was still a really good ep! :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That's an interesting question, the episode would have been dramatically different. What would have become of the storyline about the murders? I definitely enjoyed that storyline, and although it would have been different with Dewey and Hal rather than Malcolm and Hal, I think it would have been equally funny. On the other hand, we've had quite a few Dewey/Hal plots, but not as many Malcolm/Hal and Reese/Dewey, so maybe the mix-up was a good thing.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
In my opinion this was the weakest episode so far. Okay, there were some funny jokes, and the end was really cool, but it wasn't enough to beat all the lamer scenes. And in my opinion there were plenty of them.
But don't misunderstand me, this episode was still way better than the average episodes of other sitcoms.

Malcoholic

yardgames said:
Also, I never would have thought of all the repeat instances that were brought up once again in the show, Malcoholic. I wonder how many were on purpose. Quite ironic, isn't it. LIfe is a constant cycle.

Well, I found another repeated joke since my post! Last night, watching a re-run of "Halloween Approximately," I noticed that in the flashback of the three boys trick-or-treating, the friendly guy giving them candy asks the boys what their costumes are supposed to be, but Reese rudely tells him to just shut up and give them the candy. In this episode, Reese tells Dewey he wishes people would stop asking about their costumes and just hand over the candy--"They know what we're here for!" I'm pretty convinced now that these repetitions are intentional. The point of repeating this joke seems to be to reinforce the idea that Reese approaches trick-or-treating with the mentality of a hold-up man: "Just shut up and hand me the money!"

I've looked at the pictures for this particular episode on www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk which is sorta linked to this site. I looked in the gallery thing and when Dewey and Reese are trick or treating, i see that Dewey has matured a lot and looks about 12 which is a definate improvement as a few weeks ago i thought he looked about 10!!

It's true, Wildcat. Jamie may turn out a genius!!

CJman327

Hard to believe but Dewey's almost 15!:eek: :D And yeah this episode was pretty weak like I had said earlier.:( And also Reese and Dewey never really even TRIED to "pull the ultimate Halloween prank"!:)

I really liked this episode the storyline was awesome! Especially with the murder being commited in their house Hal was totally freaking out! and with the old dude chasing dewey and reese that was awesome! I loved this episode to death!

D

Deleted member 1693

Well, I found another repeated joke since my post! Last night, watching a re-run of "Halloween Approximately," I noticed that in the flashback of the three boys trick-or-treating, the friendly guy giving them candy asks the boys what their costumes are supposed to be, but Reese rudely tells him to just shut up and give them the candy. In this episode, Reese tells Dewey he wishes people would stop asking about their costumes and just hand over the candy--"They know what we're here for!" I'm pretty convinced now that these repetitions are intentional. The point of repeating this joke seems to be to reinforce the idea that Reese approaches trick-or-treating with the mentality of a hold-up man: "Just shut up and hand me the money!"

Wow. Now, these references are intriguing. I'm going to look for more of these.