Music Player

yardgames

Retired Administrator
David occassionally asks shopping questions and you all always respond with quite a bit of good advice. So I'm going to ask for your opinions on portable music players.

I've never had an iPod and I've never really been too excited by them before, but Apple did something right in the nano and a part of me wants to buy it.

But the other part of me is reminding myself how much I hate iTunes and how I would have to use it with the iPod. All my downloaded music is from MSN Music right now and while I do have an uncopy-protected version, one of the reasons I would upgrade to a better player is to be able to play rights-protected music without worrying about stripping DRM.

That said, what players do you recommend I take a look at? I started looking at Creative's, because I've always been fairly impressed by them, but I find myself missing the iPod click wheel! :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
well i have an ipod mini, and love it, and will be upgrading soon to a new ipod, but im now way biass towards apple. ipods aint perfect the dont have radio/voice recoders and the battery life aint brill. But i look ease of use and general nicesness apple wins. creative are also very good, but have bad controls and software. itunes is good, but i dont use it for my ipod i use winamp with the ml_ipod plugin which enble much more features on the ipod. it all depends wat you want, if you have loads of msn music (i think its wma? with drm, correct?) then id go with a compatible player but i wouldnt touch DRM music with a barge pole, its just a pain in the rear end.

samboo1

Yeah, i have an i pod. I use it quite a lot but the main downfall is their battery, it runs down so fast! Before that i used just a normal walkman and i used that a lot as well. At least the batteries last longer on that!
As for the i pod nano i heard that the screen loses quality really fast, and apple admitted it. I would still get one because they have a year guarrantee so you could always return it.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
the ipod nano had a problem with one batch about the screens cracking, but that should be resolved now. battery on the nano is better than older ipods.

CJman327

Well, my dad has an iPod. He also has iTrip. Great stuff. You can make it so that you can play your stuff in your car!:Don 87.9. But I think they need to simmer down on the iPod inventions. IPod, MiniIPod, IPodNano, ITrip. What else do they have?:) :D . I have a Memorex CD player that plays MP3s, CD's(I listen to Green Day a WHOLE lot!:) ) and connects to the radio. So when iTrip's working I connect to it on 87.9 on the Radio selection! I think that's kind of cool! IPodNano I guess is coing to play DVD's of Desperate Housewives, also get music and some more other crud. You have to pay a lot too. I would like to start a thread with a poll asking what people think of the new IPod. But can't.:(

Emrysgirl

It's been about two years since I last used a portable music player, so I'm in no position to be giving advice. The only places I ever need to be are at home, at a friends house, in a car or at some place where I shouldn't/can't be listening to music (school/debate).

A warning about ipods though: There was some lawsuit recently about ipod nano's scratching really easily and the surfaces being hard to replace (the lawsuit was about them being desined that way on purpose). And so, even though they're cheap, you have to keep buying new ones.

Dewey

Minimalistic
I own a Sony MP3 Player - on the back it says it's an "Atrak 3 Plus" - had it three months now and I've not had any problems so far.

I was considering an Ipod but i have read so much bad press regarding battery life and software, so I decided upon an alternative, and Sony's device is a strong contender.

I could not live without my MP3 player anymore - with my entire CD collection and podcasts, (not to mention 14 hours of philosophy lectures) on the move, its a cool way of living - and I have still not used half of the 20GB hard drive yet.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I have a Sandisk Sansa m240, it's only 1 gig, but it will hold 16 hours of songs. It's really tiny too. The Best Buy web site has photos of it. It's really good with MSN Music, and it runs on 1 AAA battery, it seems fine right now, but I've only had it for about 2 weeks. It has an FM radio, and a recorder, so it has a few more standard features then an iPod.:D I recomend it.