I wish they showed us Dewey's Opera

admin

Retired Administrator
I am really dissappointed how they never showed us Dewey's Opera, that episode would have been in my opnion a legendary episode if they had shown as the Busey's performing the opera!

samboo1

Re: I wish the showed us Dewey's Opera

I watched that for the first time the yesterday and i couldnt agree with you more! I was annoyed when the end came and they didnt show the opera!

Wemboy

I think you're missing the point of the episode. That's one of the few episodes from that season i've seen and I think it's a classic already, there's no need to see the opera. The jokes in this episode come from Hal and Lois' relationship, the way Dewey views this relationship, the ridiculously over the top songs, and to an extent Dewey's obsessing over his work. The actual performance itself is very much a dramatic device to allow for these storylines to develop, so to attempt to portray it in the show would be entirely superfluous to the plot.

Also, I think we've had a couple of threads about subtlety in MITM already, but anyway, the fact is that attempting to portray the actual production would be a pretty thankless task. It's much better to just leave it to the viewer's imagination, we know that the audience (particularly Hal and Lois) and going to be dumbstruck, and we've already seen the songs, including the jokes within them. We can use our own imagination to decide the mayhem that the actual parformance might cause. Also, Cranston and Kaczmarek are the only cast members with the talents to pull off the opera secnes in the way they did, no disrespect to those who play the Busey characters.

Amigo22

Super Moderator

Yeah, should have been a two-part episode so we could see the opera. I don't have any Season 6 eps any more, and most of the ones I had I only ended up seeing once :(.