Bryan Cranston wins Tony award

Karin

Staff - The One Who Mods
Bryan Cranston wins Tony Award for his portrayal of Lyndon B. Johnson in "All The Way"

_75392060_cranston_reuters.jpg

Source: LA Times, June 8, 2014

Bryan Cranston won a Tony Award on Sunday for his portrayal of the charismatic 36th president, Lyndon B. Johnson, in "All the Way," and the television and stage actor brought his own charisma backstage when talking to reporters after clinching the honor..

Cranston might be best known for his turn as meth-maker Walter White from AMC's "Breaking Bad," but the acclaimed television star alluded to theater being the "purest form" of another kind of stimulant.

"It's the one that truly influences your performance night after night," Cranston said. "When you can feel an audience and affect emotional change in them – it's like a drug and you have to get it. It's as strong as blue crystal meth," he said, joking about the signature drug his character concocted on "Breaking Bad."

One of the hardest things about being on the stage, he noted, is accepting an award at the Tonys. Actors get in a habit of getting to know a character and hiding behind that character, he said. And then, at the awards, "when you hear your name, it sends a shock wave through you. All of a sudden, you realize you can't hide behind a character and you have to be by yourself."

So how does he feel at this point in his career now that he's won a Tony and three consecutive Emmy Awards?

"Like I stole something," he quipped. "Every adult is seeking something ... And I found it. I stumbled on it. And I'm the luckiest guy in the world."

link to the article: http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ton-backstage-all-the-way-20140608-story.html

Congrats Bryan! :)

Richiepiep

Administrator
Now, it's a Tony Award for Bryan! That's amazing. He's on a roll since his first Emmy, so much is clear! :2thumbsup:

Bryan is always so witty and perceptive in his comments and acceptance speeches, it's always a joy to hear or read them.

I think he perfectly realizes what it's like to be lauded like that now, at the age of 58, after struggling in Hollywood as an actor till in his mid-forties, so I don't think he'll ever be carried away by it.

It may be long overdue in a way to us, but it is all the more richly deserved!

Rich