Those characters who were written out...

cadetspangler

Over the 7 seasons of MITM a lot of characters were introduced, became reacurring characters...and were written out. :cursing:

Let's see, there was...

Julie Hooverman: Taken off after just 3 episodes...the reason for this was because she was supposed to be the original 9--year-old Malcolm's crush, but Munez grew up by season 2. Well, her last appearence at least made it pretty clear she never wanted to see him again.

Circus and Justin: Two of Francis' hoodlum friends, who disapeared after just two episodes. It was aknowledged later, though, that they were in jail.

Stanley: A pretty major reaccuring character for the majority of season 1...and disapeared after the episode "Rollerskates". Maybe they couldn't get Karim Prince (I think his name is) back, or the character graduated? Kind of works as a last episode for him, though, seeing as Francis pushes him too far by going against the one thing Stanley puts his foot down that he has to do (survival week).

Caroline Miller: Introduced as a main cast member in the first season, she only appeared twice in season 2, and after the parking lot incident, she disapeared entirely. Sort of makes sense; she was likely on maternity leave for the rest of the season and the krelboynes got Herkabe as a teacher in season 3.

Eraserhead: A fairly prominent krelboyne in the first season and first half of the second...and then disapeared without any explanation after "Hal Quits".

Cadets Finley, Drew, and Joe: All featured in the first 2 seasons, and all written out after the second due to Francis leaving Marlin. A shame. (BTW...Finley is credited in "Houseboat"...why? :confused:)

Richie: Francis' signature hoodlum buddy...disapeared entirely after season 3. Well, with Francis being married and all "grown up" in the fourth season, him visiting Richie would be...awkward to say the least :laugh:

Spangler: After seemingly been thrown out of the series after Francis' escape from MArlin at the beginning of season 3, he made a return pretty late in the season. This seemed, briefly, like a comeback for him, but shortly afterwards, Francis was fired from his alaska job and the character was lost for good. A pity, seeing as the dude who played him did a great job.

Lavernia: Francis' evil boss in Alaska...promptly written out of the show when he was fired. Maybe they decided Ida was a better villian?

Pete: An old guy Francis met in Alaska, and Eric's closest friend before Francis arrived (and yet he still pulled that trick on him in "Reese's Job")...again, written out when Francis left Alaska, and apparently moved back in with his folks :laugh:

Artie: A guy working in Alaska...again, put on the bus once we lost the Alaska setting.

Eric: Francis' fellow cadet from Marlin since the end of season 1, his friend in certain season 2 eps, and his best bud throughout the Alaska expierience in Season 3. And---do I even have to say it again?---lost for good after the Alaska storyline ended. We last saw him hitchhiking as Piama and Francis drove off...wish the writers had had some decency to keep him in. He and Francis had a funny heterosexual life-partner thing going on.

Cynthia: Introduced as a hilarious character for 2 episodes in season 2, briefly stopped appearing during the first half of season 3, but was back for one ep during the second half, and an ep early in the 4th season...and then disapeared entirely. A pity. She was probably my favorite female character in the series, and she and Malcolm deserved to have a continuing storyline. :( I can only assume she pleaded guilty to having sex with Malcolm and got expelled!

Nicki: Malcolm's forbidden girlfriend for just 4 episodes in season 4. What really bothers me about her being taken off was that at the end of her first, just as it seems she and Malcolm are going to break up and she's going to become a one-timer, they decide they're serious about it...and break up a few eps later. I liked Nicki; she was one of the few truly nice girls on the show and was a good a replacement as any for Cynthia as the girl in Malcolm's life.

Boyd: Nicki's Vietnam veteran dad; due to Nicki's short-lived time as a reaccuring character, he only appeared twice.

Alison: Malcolm's girlfriend, than Reese's, in season 4. Barely avoided becoming a one-timer by hooking up with Reese at the end of her first ep, then narrowly avoided being thrown out again after Reese took her on a date that could have resulted in a break-up...and than broke up with him for good in "Academic Octathlon". Too bad, seeing as I thought the girl who played her did the role great.

Dabney Hooper: A krelboyne we knew since mid third season; he rivaled Stevie for eps in season 2, but was less featured in seasons 3 and 4, and disapeared entirely after "Academic Octathalon".

Llloyd: A krelboyne who goes back as far as Dabney, and appeared just as often; he was more popular than Dabney, as far as I can tell. Disapeared after "Baby", just shortly after Dabney made his last appearence. He was mentioned in "Goodbye Kitty", but like his fellow krelboynes, was nowhere to be seen after season 4.

(I should mention the second-to-last episode "Morp" featured an entirely new cast of misfits who would have been a great addition to the cast had it not been so close to the series finale)

Kitty Kenarban: Featured in only a handful of episodes in the prior 2 seasons, Mrs. Kenarban disapeared out of the picture after the first episode of season 3. It wasn't until early in the 5th season that she officially became one of these; a whole episode was dedicated to her departure; I personally wonder if the actress who played her (Meriam something...) quit and they were forced to write her out. Surprisingly enough, however, she was the one character who actually returned, early next season. :) What's odd is, she didn't appear at all over the remainder of the series, although in the background in "Graduation" there is some woman sitting next to Abe...:confused:

Otto and Gretchen Mankhusser: The kindly German couple Francis got a job working for in the fourth season; remained in the fifth season, and then abrutly were put on the bus for good when it was revealed Francis got fired from his job. Frankly, I'm not too disapointed about this one...yes, Otto was a surprisingly nice boss to Francis, but I personally prefered Francis at Marlin Academy and in Alaska...yeah, part of the reason the ranch job didn't appeal to me was because I'm not an animal person, but it made it feel like Francis---and consequentially, a part of the series---was going soft. So yeah, I was OK with them being so abruptly written out. Go ahead, hate me.

Dewey's Special Class: Dewey's emotionally disturbed classmates from late season 5 and season 6 disapeared in season 7, seeing as it was implied he was back in regular class. Didn't miss them too much.

So yeah, a lot of people were taken off. I didn't include anyone from season 7 who disapeared before the finale, cause, well, they easily could have appeared again if more episodes were made.

So, who did you miss the most? For me it would be between Eric and Cynthia.

Oh, and there was that lady from Lois' book club in season 3...she made a second appearence, hinting that she might have been reaccuring had they decided to actually keep some of season 3's storylines.

bpack88

Others written out

Over the 7 seasons of MITM a lot of characters were introduced, became reacurring characters...and were written out. :cursing:

Let's see, there was...

Julie Hooverman: Taken off after just 3 episodes...the reason for this was because she was supposed to be the original 9--year-old Malcolm's crush, but Munez grew up by season 2. Well, her last appearence at least made it pretty clear she never wanted to see him again.

Circus and Justin: Two of Francis' hoodlum friends, who disapeared after just two episodes. It was aknowledged later, though, that they were in jail.

Stanley: A pretty major reaccuring character for the majority of season 1...and disapeared after the episode "Rollerskates". Maybe they couldn't get Karim Prince (I think his name is) back, or the character graduated? Kind of works as a last episode for him, though, seeing as Francis pushes him too far by going against the one thing Stanley puts his foot down that he has to do (survival week).

Caroline Miller: Introduced as a main cast member in the first season, she only appeared twice in season 2, and after the parking lot incident, she disapeared entirely. Sort of makes sense; she was likely on maternity leave for the rest of the season and the krelboynes got Herkabe as a teacher in season 3.

Eraserhead: A fairly prominent krelboyne in the first season and first half of the second...and then disapeared without any explanation after "Hal Quits".

Cadets Finley, Drew, and Joe: All featured in the first 2 seasons, and all written out after the second due to Francis leaving Marlin. A shame. (BTW...Finley is credited in "Houseboat"...why? :confused:)

Richie: Francis' signature hoodlum buddy...disapeared entirely after season 3. Well, with Francis being married and all "grown up" in the fourth season, him visiting Richie would be...awkward to say the least :laugh:

Spangler: After seemingly been thrown out of the series after Francis' escape from MArlin at the beginning of season 3, he made a return pretty late in the season. This seemed, briefly, like a comeback for him, but shortly afterwards, Francis was fired from his alaska job and the character was lost for good. A pity, seeing as the dude who played him did a great job.

Lavernia: Francis' evil boss in Alaska...promptly written out of the show when he was fired. Maybe they decided Ida was a better villian?

Pete: An old guy Francis met in Alaska, and Eric's closest friend before Francis arrived (and yet he still pulled that trick on him in "Reese's Job")...again, written out when Francis left Alaska, and apparently moved back in with his folks :laugh:

Artie: A guy working in Alaska...again, put on the bus once we lost the Alaska setting.

Eric: Francis' fellow cadet from Marlin since the end of season 1, his friend in certain season 2 eps, and his best bud throughout the Alaska expierience in Season 3. And---do I even have to say it again?---lost for good after the Alaska storyline ended. We last saw him hitchhiking as Piama and Francis drove off...wish the writers had had some decency to keep him in. He and Francis had a funny heterosexual life-partner thing going on.

Cynthia: Introduced as a hilarious character for 2 episodes in season 2, briefly stopped appearing during the first half of season 3, but was back for one ep during the second half, and an ep early in the 4th season...and then disapeared entirely. A pity. She was probably my favorite female character in the series, and she and Malcolm deserved to have a continuing storyline. :( I can only assume she pleaded guilty to having sex with Malcolm and got expelled!

Nicki: Malcolm's forbidden girlfriend for just 4 episodes in season 4. What really bothers me about her being taken off was that at the end of her first, just as it seems she and Malcolm are going to break up and she's going to become a one-timer, they decide they're serious about it...and break up a few eps later. I liked Nicki; she was one of the few truly nice girls on the show and was a good a replacement as any for Cynthia as the girl in Malcolm's life.

Boyd: Nicki's Vietnam veteran dad; due to Nicki's short-lived time as a reaccuring character, he only appeared twice.

Alison: Malcolm's girlfriend, than Reese's, in season 4. Barely avoided becoming a one-timer by hooking up with Reese at the end of her first ep, then narrowly avoided being thrown out again after Reese took her on a date that could have resulted in a break-up...and than broke up with him for good in "Academic Octathlon". Too bad, seeing as I thought the girl who played her did the role great.

Dabney Hooper: A krelboyne we knew since mid third season; he rivaled Stevie for eps in season 2, but was less featured in seasons 3 and 4, and disapeared entirely after "Academic Octathalon".

Llloyd: A krelboyne who goes back as far as Dabney, and appeared just as often; he was more popular than Dabney, as far as I can tell. Disapeared after "Baby", just shortly after Dabney made his last appearence. He was mentioned in "Goodbye Kitty", but like his fellow krelboynes, was nowhere to be seen after season 4.

(I should mention the second-to-last episode "Morp" featured an entirely new cast of misfits who would have been a great addition to the cast had it not been so close to the series finale)

Kitty Kenarban: Featured in only a handful of episodes in the prior 2 seasons, Mrs. Kenarban disapeared out of the picture after the first episode of season 3. It wasn't until early in the 5th season that she officially became one of these; a whole episode was dedicated to her departure; I personally wonder if the actress who played her (Meriam something...) quit and they were forced to write her out. Surprisingly enough, however, she was the one character who actually returned, early next season. :) What's odd is, she didn't appear at all over the remainder of the series, although in the background in "Graduation" there is some woman sitting next to Abe...:confused:

Otto and Gretchen Mankhusser: The kindly German couple Francis got a job working for in the fourth season; remained in the fifth season, and then abrutly were put on the bus for good when it was revealed Francis got fired from his job. Frankly, I'm not too disapointed about this one...yes, Otto was a surprisingly nice boss to Francis, but I personally prefered Francis at Marlin Academy and in Alaska...yeah, part of the reason the ranch job didn't appeal to me was because I'm not an animal person, but it made it feel like Francis---and consequentially, a part of the series---was going soft. So yeah, I was OK with them being so abruptly written out. Go ahead, hate me.

Dewey's Special Class: Dewey's emotionally disturbed classmates from late season 5 and season 6 disapeared in season 7, seeing as it was implied he was back in regular class. Didn't miss them too much.

So yeah, a lot of people were taken off. I didn't include anyone from season 7 who disapeared before the finale, cause, well, they easily could have appeared again if more episodes were made.

So, who did you miss the most? For me it would be between Eric and Cynthia.

Oh, and there was that lady from Lois' book club in season 3...she made a second appearence, hinting that she might have been reaccuring had they decided to actually keep some of season 3's storylines.

I actually think Francis was written out of the series in the last two seasons.