EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012!

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
malcolm_promo_dvd_4_front_cover_MITMVC.jpg

Think of something super big? OK, got it? Double it... This is how big this news is.

In short, Season 1 of Malcolm in the Middle will be released on DVD in the UK (Region 2) in April 2012. Followed by a season a month until a final box-set near Christmas 2012. Yes, all seasons by the end of the year!

It's being released by Fabulous Films in the UK. They have bought the UK (Region 2) rights for the whole series from FOX and specialize in releasing TV/movies that have had music issues in the past. The UK has a distinct advantage over the US as they don't have such complicated music licensing issues. Yes, the reason we haven't seen seasons in the US is all about music license costs, as we have always known.

The music will NOT be changed.

Season 1, is planned to be a very similar to the US release with special features to be confirmed. The other seasons are still in the planning stages, artwork etc is yet to be done. It will be sold through Amazon UK, HMV (UK retail store) and others.

Blu-ray isn't currently on the cards, but a possibility in the future, no details on it. I also don't currently know about widescreen and how it'll apply to the seasons.

But I live in the US?! (or wherever) - Amazon UK delivers to many countries so there is a good chance you'll be able to order.

This is thanks to Richard Walker of Fabulous Films who broke the news to me, he needs our support on this project, how great is that? We can be part of the DVD release! More on this when I know.

Update 8/2/12Pre-order Season 1 Now! / Widescreen 16×9 has been confirmed for Season 1.

Last edited:

Gill

This is great news! :D Unfortunately Malcolm in the Middle isn't on TV a lot now where I live, and with the whole Megaupload situation I'd say it's pretty hard for me to watch episodes of MITM. I am definitely looking forward to release of all seasons! :)

PeterU

Super Moderator
This is absolutely fantastic news! Thanks for getting this to us, TJ! :D

I would urge everybody who can to support this project and purchase the DVDs when they come out. This is our opportunity as a community to show that it is worth a company putting the effort and money into getting these shows onto DVD, that we will put our money down and support them when they take a risk, and give the fans what they have asked for, for so long.

Karin

Staff - The One Who Mods
I will definitely support and buy (at least ;)) two boxsets because I want to give one to a friend in the U.S. too.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Hi TJ,

This is really fantastic news, thanks for posting it, and for being so 'on the button' after all these years. This sounds almost too good to be true!

I thought these music rights hassles affected the industry worldwide, but I'm really glad it doesn't seem the case. As we all know, some series have been on the shelf for 15 years now, or have to make do with butchered soundtracks with faceless soundalikes, so wow!

I do hope they find the time and investment to include nice extras on the other seasons, like behind the scenes glimpses, interviews, the family therapy sessions, and, if they can find the time, commentary tracks by the cast and crew. That would be awesome.

I look forward to whatever role we can play in the release! Sounds like great fun! Yes, let's hope we can get good sales and try and show the creators/distributors the Internet is not all about piracy and showing disrespect.

Perhaps it's a little bit too early right now, but I'm thinking of informing Comedy Central. It's a series that was shown on a number of their outlets, and I believe I still have some contacts left.

Rich

P.S. Just an illustration of what could have happened to MITM:

Original 1988 Wonder Years intro, Beatles song as performed by Joe Cocker in 1968, pre-music rights issue:

The 2011 Netflix version, sung by some unknown imitator:

Magic-J

Hell yeah!!! I hope it will be in widescreen!

Here's a cover for the 7 seasons boxset i made:

MalcolmInTheMiddle-TheCompleteSeries_PROMO.jpg

Enjoy ;)

Yeah, by the way i'm new on the forum!

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I thought these music rights hassles affected the industry worldwide, but I'm really glad it doesn't seem the case. As we all know, some series have been on the shelf for 15 years now, or have to make do with butchered soundtracks with faceless soundalikes, so wow!

I have heard talk that the Netflix MITM episodes have music changed? Can anybody confirm either way?

Richiepiep

Administrator
I have heard talk that the Netflix MITM episodes have music changed? Can anybody confirm either way?
I was thinking the same thing when I posted my first reply ... hasn't this already happened to MITM on Netflix?

I looked into this thread again, and I'm not entirely convinced, though someone states:
All of the Netflix episodes are syndication edits. As such, some music is substituted, some episodes are edited to fit the desired time, and additional fade-outs are added for more commercials. The bright side is that the quality is excellent.
http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6696

After all, there are different versions of the They Might Be Giants theme song on the original airings as well, and the different songs when Lois is shaving Hal in the pilot is also a feature of the original airing and the extended DVD version.

Magic-J

Yeaaahhh!!! Widescreen guys!!! Do you think they cropped the picture in some shots due to the fact there is some lightings, production members and other stuffs you can see in some episodes?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Yeaaahhh!!! Widescreen guys!!! Do you think they cropped the picture in some shots due to the fact there is some lightings, production members and other stuffs you can see in some episodes?

When season 1 was shot, it was intended to be seen 4x3 so the lights and people where never expected to be seen, however the film is wide so that stuff was recorded. Since then obviously everything is widescreen so now we see people/lights etc, but that's ok, we like it :)

Magic-J

Yes, i like it too it's funny to see things we are not supposed to see :D

But about the DVD release... i don't know if they are going to zoom inside the picture on some scenes so we can't see any lights/production guys.

Miblio

This is just great. I seriously thought that this would never happen after all this time, but, YES, it finally did. :yes: I don't usually buy DVD TV releases...ever.......but this will have to be an exception.

Thanks for posting, I wouldn't have known, otherwise!

Magic-J

Noooo!!! :( For anyone who doesn't live in the UK, only English language will be available. If you are in France, Germany or Spain don't expect to see other languages. This is an official information i've seen on the website Malcolm-France.

But if you are on this forum you should at least speak english a lil bit, no? :D MITM is not that complicated to understand and english is the original language for this TV show so i think it's not big deal.

Karin

Staff - The One Who Mods
If it's an UK release they usually have French, German and Spanish subtitles. And if not, there are always English subtitles, which makes it a bit easier to follow if you have a hard time understanding the spoken language. ;)