EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012! - Page 27
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by mass5160 View Post
    I've been in touch with Showshank the past few months, and they've informed me that they DID find the original version of Company Picnic, which was too late to include on the Season 3 release, but they assured me that it will be included on the Season 4 release as a bonus feature! Which I'm delighted to hear about, and I'm sure everyone here will be just as happy to hear it .
    Oh great news!

Don't suppose anyone knows of site where us people in the UK can import the French release?

Well, I know it's been a few months so I apologise for taking my time to get back to you all with the Season 2 screenshots I promised in May. Life's been tough, but I've finally found the disc the episodes were stored on, and I've sent them over to Magic_J who will be adding them to the corresponding photo albums shortly!
    Thanks for the post, Mass! Yes, the unedited version of Company Picnic will be released on the French S4 DVD.

I've managed to stitch together your image comparison shots for episode 2x01, and I'm planning to deal with the others in a while:

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/...ry.php?cat=527

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Sep 29, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
    All the people are so happy now, their heads are caving in.
    I'm glad they are a snowman with protective rubber skin.

Beiß mein' Schorf, Blasenloch!

Quote Originally Posted by BBC2 View Post
    Oh great news!

Don't suppose anyone knows of site where us people in the UK can import the French release?
    I grab mine from amazon.fr usually. They're very quick when shipping to the UK, I got my Season 3 set less than a week after the release date!

In case anyone hasn't seen yet, there's a listing for Season 4 too here:
    http://www.amazon.fr/Malcolm-saison-...ywords=malcolm

And if you look in the features, it confirms that the original "long" version of Company Picnic is included!

Richiepiep: Here's the comparisons with the TV screen caps uploaded from episode 01, uploaded by Magic-J:

http://someimage.com/fkVm

As you can see, the FR DVD set more accurately reflects the colours of the TV broadcast, whilst the UK DVD version is darker, and looks slightly warmer.

Default Comparison of aspect ratios on the German releases

Thanks again for the image comparisons, Mass and Magic-J!

It's an interesting and unique feature of the current German releases by Turbine that you can choose between both aspect ratios, 4:3 and 16:9, for all episodes.

They created a promo clip for ths feature on https://www.facebook.com/Malcolm.DVD, which I have also linked below.

It's German-dubbed, as was expected, but it's certainly striking to see the two together in this way. It's tempting to immediately fall for the wide format, unless you get annoyed by some production artefacts like screens and light stands. I noticed two in this particular clip: at the end of Hal's rollerskating routine, you can see a crew member on the left, and during the tracking shot towards the chaos outside of Home Alone 4, there is a lens hood or screen blacking out the left part of the image.

In the description, Turbine added a little disclaimer. When fast-forwarding episodes (or perhaps also, I would add, because of automatic ratio detection or presets on a number of players and TV sets), it cannot be guaranteed that the 4:3 version is always visible.

I wonder if the original editors of MITM ever applied 'pan and scan' in a creative way to crop the image to 4:3, that is if they selected other parts than the exact middle to improve the image composition.

I wonder what y'all make of it?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=808805375836943

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Oct 22, 2014 at 04:28 PM.

I think it's excellent that the series is getting a well-deserved release in more and more places, and it seems with each release comes something unique, as you said with this one it's the option to watch the series in either 16:9 or 4:3. I wonder how they'll achieve this though? Are they just going to create some sort of "mask" to cover up the sides, or are they literally putting two separately-encoded versions on their discs?

I think it's excellent that the series is getting a well-deserved release in more and more places, and it seems with each release comes something unique, as you said with this one it's the option to watch the series in either 16:9 or 4:3. I wonder how they'll achieve this though? Are they just going to create some sort of "mask" to cover up the sides, or are they literally putting two separately-encoded versions on their discs?
    Hi Mass,

Thanks for the reply! Well, I guess it must be a mask, because the German release of S1 has three disks just like the French one, and the older ones for that matter. This mask would work fine, unless the original editors didn't always choose the exact centre, but panned-and-scanned to choose the best part. I checked only a few of the scenes in the German promo clip (Francis Escapes), which indeed showed the smack-dab in the middle part, but I never bothered to compare, say, a whole episode from the old American S1 in 4:3 to the widescreen version. That would require a lot of work!

Pan-and-scan explained - it's also often discussed as part of 'telecine' (from 'television cinema'):

P.S. I couldn't help thinking of the weird concept of 'seeing the middle of Malcolm in the Middle'
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Oct 25, 2014 at 07:07 PM.

I grab mine from amazon.fr usually. They're very quick when shipping to the UK, I got my Season 3 set less than a week after the release date!

In case anyone hasn't seen yet, there's a listing for Season 4 too here:
    http://www.amazon.fr/Malcolm-saison-...ywords=malcolm

And if you look in the features, it confirms that the original "long" version of Company Picnic is included!

Richiepiep: Here's the comparisons with the TV screen caps uploaded from episode 01, uploaded by Magic-J:

http://someimage.com/fkVm

As you can see, the FR DVD set more accurately reflects the colours of the TV broadcast, whilst the UK DVD version is darker, and looks slightly warmer.
    Ah that's brilliant, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Richiepiep View Post
    Thanks again for the image comparisons, Mass and Magic-J!

It's an interesting and unique feature of the current German releases by Turbine that you can choose between both aspect ratios, 4:3 and 16:9, for all episodes.

They created a promo clip for ths feature on https://www.facebook.com/Malcolm.DVD, which I have also linked below.

It's German-dubbed, as was expected, but it's certainly striking to see the two together in this way. It's tempting to immediately fall for the wide format, unless you get annoyed by some production artefacts like screens and light stands. I noticed two in this particular clip: at the end of Hal's rollerskating routine, you can see a crew member on the left, and during the tracking shot towards the chaos outside of Home Alone 4, there is a lens hood or screen blacking out the left part of the image.

In the description, Turbine added a little disclaimer. When fast-forwarding episodes (or perhaps also, I would add, because of automatic ratio detection or presets on a number of players and TV sets), it cannot be guaranteed that the 4:3 version is always visible.

I wonder if the original editors of MITM ever applied 'pan and scan' in a creative way to crop the image to 4:3, that is if they selected other parts than the exact middle to improve the image composition.

I wonder what y'all make of it?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=808805375836943

Rich
    Now that's interesting! I was about to buy the French release due to the better picture quality over the UK one, but then another region improves over another again! I've been wanting it in 4:3 for so long, as that was the original aspect ratio it was composed in, therefore how it was intended to be seen.

Weren't the later seasons in proper widescreen, as i remember?

I'll wait and see if it has the original English audio as an option and in NTSC format before deciding to purchase.

Hi BBC2,

Weren't the later seasons in proper widescreen, as i remember? I'll wait and see if it has the original English audio as an option and in NTSC format before deciding to purchase.
    I don't know about the 'proper widescreen'. I just know that on Dutch Comedy Central, all seasons (1-7) were broadcast in 4:3 up to at least 2009. Yes, it has English audio. Details can be found in this post:

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/...-October-2014!

I can check the NTSC when I get the German box. As the transfers are supposed to be identical to the French releases, I expect them to be NTSC (59,94 fps).

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Oct 24, 2014 at 03:14 PM.

Default It looks like the Germans got the 4:3 middle view right

The German aspect ratio promo clip included one other shot which looked a bit strange to me in cropped 4:3. In the episode Stock Car Races, you see Reese and Malcolm sitting in the crowd with Dewey almost completely cut out, except for his hands. It would have been better to shift the view towards the right, leave the woman on the left out completely, and include Dewey:

But the old US DVD version in 4:3 had exactly the same shot:

This leads me to believe that the old 4:3 view was indeed the middle view by default.

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Oct 24, 2014 at 04:09 PM.

I'll wait and see if it has the original English audio as an option and in NTSC format before deciding to purchase.
    Yes, I got my Season 1-3 box today! It's a very well presented set, with proper credits to the French cover and disc menu design ("mit freundlicher Genehmigung von Showshank Films/The Corporation" - by kind arrangement with etc.).

But geez, the German release is actually PAL (not just because the back cover says so) at 50 fps (interlaced again) and a resolution of 720x576, whereas the British and French releases had 59,94 fps and 720x480.

This made me wonder about possible PAL speed-up of the audio.

But fortunately this hasn't happened. I again took the trumpet solo from the Shame cold open. See the mp3-attachment. First the US version, then the German version (also the English audio track).

By the way, the 4:3 format is indeed a mask. On the disc menu it says "side matted". It works fine as long as you don't mess with the video controls, just like the Germans indicated.

Looks like each release is reinventing the wheel ....

Rich
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Oct 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM.