EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012! - Page 20
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012!

Thanks for your perceptive comments, sjdean. I don't have a lot of other series on DVD, so I have little to compare MITM with in terms of image quality or care taken to produce them.

From my point of view, we have the advantage with MITM of a release that is long overdue, and Fox apparently now has little interest in, compounded by the expensive music rights issues in the US, which nearly preclude a release over there. Then we have the added bonuses of the music score intact, so no weak cover versions or generic mood music, and no (syndicated) edits - I hope at least in the case of double episodes - plus widescreen for all episodes, which nicely opens up the image in a cinematic way, even though we get some goofs in the bargain.

So far, so good for Fabulous.

Though Richard Walker appears to bungle his argument about scanning the film sources, I hope that he means or tries to cover up the fact that Fox was unwilling to get back to the source, and tried to fob him off with some material straight off the shelf. This is the impression I get at least, also because we have the rating logos and such on some of them.

Fabulous does appear to be a niche company, as MITM S1 and S2 are their top selling items with just a few thousand copies sold. On the other hand, I asked him why they did record special cast interviews for their "Automan" and "Manimal" releases (minor cult series running for just one season, whose sales according to Amazon appear to be one-third of MITM) and included loads of extras for the children's animation series "Mysterious Cities of Gold" (sales rank a bit lower than MITM), while no such option apparently was available for MITM. Richard said he got no cooperation from cast agents, and we have to take his word for it, but it does look a bit odd.

Yes, and I did use the argument that more extensive, high-gloss releases would probably generate more revenue, but that's always a gamble, I reckon.

At any rate, I'll be buying all seasons from FF regardless.

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; May 5, 2013 at 07:53 PM.

All the people are so happy now, their heads are caving in.
    I'm glad they are a snowman with protective rubber skin.

Beiß mein' Schorf, Blasenloch!

You thought my explanation was good? I just re-read it and it sounds like drivel to me with badly explained concepts. To clarify a couple of matters on my previous post, like Seinfeld and the Munsters et al, if we could have gone back to the original film masters, America would have got the Telecined version running at 29.97 fps, while we would have got a sped up 25fps up from the normal film rate of 24fps. Which is exactly what we see on Seinfeld and the Munsters.

Incidentally ripping those for inclusion on a media centre is a doddle as there is no interlacing and everything displays perfectly.

I think we also get the same luxury with Friends and Cheers which were also shot on film, which is why Hi Def Blu Ray version have been made possible.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer while shot on film was mastered on video I think in the early seasons so there's interlacing all over the place, and even that show doesn't generate enough revenue to generate a Hi Def copy. Star Trek Next Gen which was mastered on video, because that's such a popular franchise, has been/is being sorted for Hi Def with many of the effects being reproduced.

It may be that this is what we're seeing with Malcolm in the Middle and it was mastered on Video.

But in that case I'd rather stick with Interlaced Source. Whoever said deinterlacing was easy. Handbrake have only recently started to support Bob which I find superior in terms of motion fluidity. Otherwise things just become jittery.,

The first season of Malcolm though, there's no interlacing (apart from the first episode) suggesting that this was shot on film and mastered on film.

I'd rather have the episodes without "Fox Widescreen" plastered on top though.

To explain my thoughts though, I would say either/or:

1) Malcolm isn't the popular show we thought it was - therefore no one is buying it, therefore there's no reason to spend all that money going back to source.

2) Fabulous Films are tight and can't be bothered to spend the cash to get the masters - however if the show isn't popular then....

3) Fox are obstructive - which wouldn't surprise me.

4) People have heard about the technical limitations and decided to stick with what they've got realising that Fabulous Films releases do not give them anything more other than a legal archive.

I know very little about Automan or Manimal. Is it possible that those were released by independents and as such have less restrictions than say Fox?

Well, sjdean, your explanations and guesses were good enough for me, which makes your current additions even better!

So, Seinfeld for instance in its UK (R2) DVD release runs a bit faster with jittery movement and a slightly chipmunk-ish sound? I'd rather not have that!

As for Automan and Manimal, both are actually Fox (!) releases, but their original producer was Glen A. Larson, who was apparently very keen to cooperate with Fabulous. I can imagine that, if you still have a personal interrest in your brainchildren, releases become a lot easier to get off the ground.

With the original Regency Television gone, I don't think there is any personal involvement in releasing MITM left from the company side. I wonder if Richard Walker pushed the right buttons, though. My guess is that if he had contacted Linwood Boomer (Satin City) or Todd Holland in the first place, instead of dealing with Fox, things may taken a turn for the better and run a lot smoother. But that's crying over spilt milk by now.

Yes, our site might have chipped in in this respect too.

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; May 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM.

Hiya Rich,

With regards to Seinfeld, I notice no jitter whatsoever, and I wouldn't say anybody sounds chipmunkish - though whether I'd notice it if I compared to the NTSC version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

Now with PAL, they can either insert the extra frame which gives the jitter by repeating a frame, or they can do 2:2 pulldown to speedup. You actually get a more faithful transfer IMHO for video, even if it is 4% faster.

NTSC however, uses 2:3 pulldown and creates an extra frame by interpolating four frames and converting four frames to five. I've never thought NTSC looked as clean as PAL. That probably explains it.

Of course if they could have gone back to sources, the NTSC disks may just have had a telecine flag on, but it appears that they have been field blended. If I had the choice though between field blended NTSC using 2:3 pull down verses 2:2 pulldown for PAL, I'd rather go with the latter. I'd rather have the original sources but... hey, that don't look like it's gunna happen.

Im sure you could slow down the audio on PAL if you were serious and revert back to 24fps for film.

@SJDean

It's quite technical, but I think I get it. Thanks!

I never realized that I lot of the movies or TV series I have watched on TV over the years (we have PAL) were probably sped up a little, or had some jerky movements due to these video transfers. Strange that these frame rates have such a long history of fundamental differences, requiring rather unsatisfactory solutions, unless they were shot on film specifically for TV at either 25 or 30 frames of course.

It's also weird that I've heard no one talk or complain about this difference in reviews outside this site so far, only in general terms of 'poor image quality' or 'bad transfers'. The most technical they get is 'visible interlacing' or 'combing', but nothing else.

Rich

So hey guys, i got some questions regarding these DVDs and would like to see if it's worth the purchase.

So first how is the quality of the picture? Might seem like a stupid question but would like to make sure that it is perfect quality.

And do these DVDs include any extra footage, like bloopers or behind the scenes?

Thx for your help ^^
    AM talking bout the UK release bdw.

Hi,

Well, first of all, you could read the thread above your post, which will pretty much answers all of your questions!

To summarize, the picture quality is quite good, all episodes are in widescreen (though not in high-definition of course) which hasn't been shown on many channels yet, and has never appeared on DVD. People do complain about the interlacing/combing (lines) which can show up in fast-moving scenes, depending on the player or software you use. It will only bother you on a computer most of the time, not on TV, and then you can set the software playback to "deinterlacing mode".

See:

Episode 2x01: Interlaced image (default)

Episode 2x01: Deinterlaced image

There are no subtitles, except for Season 1.

There are no extras either, except for Season 1.

This is because S1 is a straight copy, as far as bonus features are concerned, of the early American DVD release in Region 1-format.

Season 2 only has an official stills gallery, all of which (and more) can be found on our site.

Fabulous Films did not have any additional budget to include subtitles or bonus features.

I hope this can help you make up your mind!

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Jun 3, 2013 at 08:09 AM.

Kk, thx a lot.
    I've decided to order the 1st season DVD set. Maybe i'll order some more seasons, depending on how much i'm satisfied

That's a good thing to hear, toplol!

If you don't have the 2002 US release of Season 1 yet, I can guarantee you you'll be statisfied by S1, because this one comes with loads of extras.

And at least my point of view is, if we don't pay for releases of MITM, whether it is DVDs, streaming or downloads from outlets like iTunes, we will certainly never see any more high-quality releases on BluRay or with commentary tracks and other bonus features, because companies won't risk the investment if they can only expect a few thousand copies sold, as it appears to be now.

Rich

Hi, everyone. I'm thinking about buying one of the earlier seasons (s1-4) on DVD (haven't decided which one, however). But I was wondering for those of you who own them, what is the quality like? Is it better than the torrents on the internet (which are really awful, especially the first few seasons)?