EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012!

Richiepiep

Administrator
Can anyone tell me exactly which lines are missing in the UK DVD edition for the 'Company Picnic' episode? I've found the scene which is missing, but I'd like to know about the lines of dialogue, too.
I'd love to help you with this, but I'm not aware of an hour-long original, as I've only seen the show in syndication.

The DVD versions run for 21:35 mins (I) and 22:06 (II), and the old video file I have of them has them strung together at 42:50 - minus end credit sequences.

I hope there's still someone around with a full copy.

Richard

I just found these relevant quotes from USA Today:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/television/2002/2002-01-24-malcolm.htm

The Super Bowl script started as an episode that was 10 pages too long for Malcolm's regular half-hour slot (Sundays, 8:30 p.m. ET/PT). When Fox program chief Gail Berman asked if Malcolm had a potential hour-long episode, Boomer expanded the script, which also shows oldest son Francis (Christopher Masterson) in a hockey game with Klum and coaches Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long.

and Internet Movie Database:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0640308/alternateversions

Originally aired as an hour special, this episode has since been split into 2 parts, having certain scenes re-ordered, and the locker room scene in the ice rink is cut.

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
By the way, I think that 'one hour episode' should be taken with a big grain of salt.

I don't think that much was cut, because MITM is known as a 30-minute show, which in fact means 22 minutes or so with 8 minutes of commercials.

Similarly, I guess 'one hour' would mean about 45 mins.

Rich

BBC2

I hope the one hour special episode is included in full on the French release, as it originally went out as the Super Bowl lead-out program. Would be cool to see a MITM episode in this format. Was an awesome episode too.

mass5160

Can anyone tell me exactly which lines are missing in the UK DVD edition for the 'Company Picnic' episode? I've found the scene which is missing, but I'd like to know about the lines of dialogue, too.
We're trying to get the right, full version for the French edition. ;)

Hi Tyno,
I'm relying on memory here now, but the only line I can think of off the top of my head is when Reece & George are tied together (when George 'finds a cup') - at some point George says "My eyes are tired" which is cut in the syndicated version. I can't remember Reece's line that was cut out though. Just out of curiosity, does this have anything to do with a particular enquiry to ShowShank from a few days ago? :p

I do have the full version on an old hard drive, so I could find time to do a comparison at some point if you wish?

EDIT: Oh yeah, Richiepiep, you are indeed correct when you say the run time is closer to 45 minutes, as the 1-hour includes the commercials. There'd have been about 1 to 2 mins cut at most, and this would have been because of the intro being added to part 2.

And RE: the season 2 5* screenshots, I'm afraid the discs they're burned to are in storage right now, but I will attempt to locate them after I have university out the way in May! I promise that I won't forget :)

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Not really related to the lost scenes or lost extras quests, but I must say that the French S2 release, from what I see on Malcolm France, again looks beautifully and consistenly designed, with nicely edited group shots and individual shots, and fluent screen menus. :D

Oh, yes, the packaging takes some getting used to as far as the placement of the double disks is concerned. It's something I hadn't seen before, and looked quite scary when I tried to take them out.

The idea is to observe the two levers (plastic 'wings') at the bottom of the disk, insert your index finger into the disk hole, and gently slide the disk down against the levers, until they give way. Then the disk is released from the clips holding the top, and you can take them out. So don't try to lift them vertically from the packaging like the usual disks with a fastener in the middle!

Rich

Last edited:

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Just out of curiosity, does this have anything to do with a particular enquiry to ShowShank from a few days ago? :p

I do have the full version on an old hard drive, so I could find time to do a comparison at some point if you wish?

Yes, indeed, it does! They take it very seriously. :)

It seems that the French dubbing was made on the syndicated version, so I doubt the editor will be able to include the full, one-hour version in the DVD set as there is no dubbing for it. But maybe they'll be able to include the full episode, or at least the bits which were cut, as extras!

If you find the time to do a comparison, that'd be great and useful for the editor. I've found the original version of the episode, but I don't have enough time to compare everything that's been cut/changed. I've just noticed that the locker room scene (from 25:28 to 26:52) has been cut, as well as part of a scene (27:42 to 27:56).

mass5160

Yes, indeed, it does! They take it very seriously. :)

I'm glad to hear that ShowShank are incredibly loyal to their fans! :)

But maybe they'll be able to include the full episode, or at least the bits which were cut, as extras

Perhaps it would be an idea to employ branching in this case? That way, it would save you from putting the same episode on the same disc twice. You could have an option to watch the syndicated verson in French or English, then the original version in English? Or maybe include subtitles for the cut scenes? Although that idea seems a bit farfetched, but I thought I would voice it anyway!

I shall be on to the comparison shortly, and hopefully I will have a complete list for you this week! :D

BBC2

Are the episode titles displayed in French at the start of each episode, or is everything the way it originally was, besides the dubbing?

mass5160

We're on about doing one more comparison, but can't decide which episode to choose! It's between "Hal Quits", "Bowling" & "Carnival". Which would you guys be most interested in seeing? :)

mass5160

So far, "Hal Quits" is in the lead for the comparison then! :p

In the meantime, here are the complete differences between the original, and syndicated versions of "Company Picnic".

Original version lasts for 45 minutes (roughly) and is not split in to 2 parts.
Credits last longer on the original version (Right up to Francis' first scene)

Scene order difference
First act identical
Original (From 13:51):
  • Lois Backing away from Meg
  • Dewey fights with some kid over candy
  • Ice hockey preperation
  • Francis' "bet"
  • Start of the hockey game
  • Reese & George random pairing
  • Malcolm admits he likes Laurie
  • Laurie and Malcolm "Joke without a J"
  • Dewey filling up on Bread
  • Hal hiding around the cubicles
  • Lois gets trapped in a cubicle to avoid Meg
  • Hal "Mr. Landon" puts minds at ease
  • Lois still trapped in cubicle, tries to find way out
  • Reese & George try to find a fork
  • Half time locker room scene (Missing in Syndicated Version)
  • Reese & George beat the kids up to steal the items
  • Dewey attacks another kid over candy
  • Meg's husband confronts Lois
  • Francis joins the hockey team
Everything else is identical from this point onwards
*Presumably, the end credits are a little longer, or have more credits to show.

The syndicated version has a completely different scene order, as well as some cuts.
Italicized lines are the ones that were cut.

First act identical
Syndicated (Part 1) (Also from 13:51):
  • Ice hockey preperation
  • Francis' "bet"
  • Start of the hockey game
  • Lois backing away from Meg
  • Dewey fights with some kid over candy
  • Dewey filling up on Bread
  • Hal hiding around the cubicles
  • Lois gets trapped in a cubicle to avoid Meg
  • Reese & George random pairing
  • Malcolm admits he likes Laurie

Syndicated (Part 2):
  • Recap added
  • Opening Theme added
  • Laurie and Malcolm "Joke without a J" (Credits added)
  • Ice Hockey "Down by 2 goals" - CUT (First 2 shots missing)
  • Hal "Mr. Landon" puts minds at ease
  • Reese & George try to find a fork - CUT

Reese: You know a fork. The little thing, with...things! Jeez!
    George: My eyes are tired.
    Reese: Hey why don't we go to a snack bar? They've got tonnes of forks there!

George: You go. I'll stay here.
  • Back to Ice Hockey. Lavernia joins in - CUT

Francis spraying the face towels with mace, and all references to them being used by anyone else.

Lavernia: It's right there! Get it! Get it! What the Hell's wrong with you guys?! The puck's right in front of you!
    Artie: My eyes are stinging like crazy!
    Francis sprays a towel with mace, and passes it to a team member.
    Francis: There you go, Chad. Wipe off that sweat!
  • Reese & George beat the kids up to steal the items
  • Meg's husband confronts Lois
  • Francis joins the hockey team
Everything else is identical from this point onwards
*Presumably, the end cretis are a little shorter, or have fewer credits to show.

Richiepiep

Administrator
We're on about doing one more comparison, but can't decide which episode to choose! It's between "Hal Quits", "Bowling" & "Carnival". Which would you guys be most interested in seeing? :)
I'll go along with "Hal Quits" then, but with "Bowling" a close second!

I'd also like to add your screenshots to our Gallery, if you don't mind.

The point is, we don't have a lot of widescreen captures, and because a lot of them were taken from old 'teenie' fan sites, they are mostly very boys-centric, not to mention Frankie-focused, which is a bit of a shame, especially to Jane and Bryan.

Rich

mass5160

Richiepiep, I don't mind that personally, and I wouldn't have thought Magic-J would mind either, but I shall give him a nudge and let him know you've asked! :)

Alexandre

Malcolm season 3 is coming soon in France !

Malcolm season 3 is coming soon in France ! :)

http://www.malcolm-france.com/news.php?id=390

malcolm_dvdfrsaison3-coffret.jpg

New packaging, a digibook (16-page booklet) written by Malcolm-France.com, containing an episode guide and a Malcolm abecedarium full of anecdotes about MITM and season 3.

And also an exclusive interview of Linwood Boomer made a few week ago by Showshank Films with our help (we sent them some sophisticated questions :whistling:)

DVD will be released on September 2.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Thanks for the great news, Alexandre!

The French set of DVDs is a truly special and creative set, and a credit to your site, the French fans and the other collaborators! :clap:

I hope you can keep up this high standard for the upcoming releases - I noticed on your site, that Fox again wasn't forthcoming at all, so you had to create your own bonus features. It's just weird that such a huge company can't spend a few hours to please fans the world over. Ah, you'll show them!

And by the way: bon anniversaire!

:balloon: :happybday: :balloon:

Rich

Richiepiep

Administrator
I really love the personal touches on these French releases. Because Fox didn't put any effort into releasing bonus materials, the French fan club created their own booklet with an illustrated episode guide, and an imaginative series ABC.

http://malcolm-france.com/news.php?id=396

I could make out:

A is for Alaska (Francis' job)
B is for Bernard the Hamster
C is for Croissance (the boys growing up)
D is for Delinquency
E is for Emancipation (Francis becoming an adult)
F is for Francis
G is for Grossesse (Jane's pregnancies)
H is for Herkabe
I is for Interdit (unsuitable for viewers under 14)
J is for Jeunesse (the parents' younger days)
K is for Kitty Kenarban
L is for Linwood Boomer

It really looks nice, and makes the set a fine keepsake (and present) for fans.

Rich

mass5160

Well, I know it's been a few months so I apologise for taking my time to get back to you all with the Season 2 screenshots I promised in May. Life's been tough, but I've finally found the disc the episodes were stored on, and I've sent them over to Magic_J who will be adding them to the corresponding photo albums shortly!

I've been in touch with Showshank the past few months, and they've informed me that they DID find the original version of Company Picnic, which was too late to include on the Season 3 release, but they assured me that it will be included on the Season 4 release as a bonus feature! Which I'm delighted to hear about, and I'm sure everyone here will be just as happy to hear it :)

Magic_J has also informed me that there's not much difference between the UK and FR season 3 releases picture quality-wise, but I imagine he'll bring you more detail on that.