EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012! - Page 29
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012!

Cheers, Richiepiep for sharing those pics!

I suppose it's possible that they could've switched to 35mm, but then switched back to 16mm due to preference, or even budget, but that's just an outside guess. It could just simply be a matter of sources stating "shot-on-film" which was taken to mean 35mm by assumption.

I think a lot of people get confused over film formats, because there are so many, just like videotape formats too, to be honest. It could also be that because Seasons 6 & 7 were broadcast in HD, the assumption is that "only 35mm is capable of HD" but as I said previously there are films that are shot entirely in 16mm, or even have elements of 16mm crossed with 35mm and the difference is almost unnoticeable.

I personally feel with digital distribution that the extra features will become a thing of the past. You can buy the first season of Rome in HD from iTunes for £24.99, whilst amazon sell both series in one Blu-Ray package for £25.08 at the time of this post. So in this case, for another 9 pence you get both seasons, with artwork, extras and superior picture and audio quality.

Hi Mass,

Well, those pictures are in our Gallery anyway, section Behind the Scenes, where you can study them in greater detail, if you wish.

Thanks for the info on Rome. I hope buyers will realize what they're missing out on if they go for the seemingly cheap and easy option of digital downloads!

Apparently, (Super) 16 mm film has long been a popular format for budget TV productions, even recently, where you would expect digital shooting. I've found a list which includes series like The Walking Dead, Chuck, Scrubs, One Tree Hill, The Middle, Psych, Burn Notice, Degrassi: The Next Generation, Life on Mars.

Also feature films like Black Swan and The Hurt Locker.

As for some older ones:

Dawson's Creek (also shot by Malcolm in the Middle cinematographer Levie Isaacks)
    The O. C.
    Sex and the City
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (first two seasons)
    Charmed (first season)
    Gilmore Girls
    Veronica Mars
    Malcolm in the Middle (of course!)
    Third Watch
    Monk
    Renegade
    Pensacola
    Invisible Man
    Tour of Duty
    West Wing (last season)

According to the posters, "the quality of these shows varies all over the map". A lot depends on the skills of the cinematographers, lighting technicians, editing and scanning in HD or not etc.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...m-film.267477/

http://www.cinematography.net/edited...mats-2010.html

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Nov 6, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
    All the people are so happy now, their heads are caving in.
    I'm glad they are a snowman with protective rubber skin.

Beiß mein' Schorf, Blasenloch!

I'll admit that I was surprised to see 'Black Swan' was shot on 16mm. I was always under the impression that it was shot digitally if I'm being honest. But I have the Blu-Ray and it looks fantastic.

It's also good to see Buffy on that list too, because they're remastering that series in HD too, although from the screenshots I've seen, it looks like it's been smothered with DNR, and for the most part, it looks like they clipped the top and bottom without any extra picture information to the sides. I'm not really a fan of that show though, so I haven't sat down and watched an episode all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Richiepiep View Post
    According to the posters, "the quality of these shows varies all over the map". A lot depends on the skills of the cinematographers, lighting technicians, editing and scanning in HD or not etc.
    That's it exactly. I can't seem to help but think how some episodes in Season 3 of MitM look under-lit to be honest. Especially the Christmas episode, it just looks so damp and under saturated.

Considering Fox has recently stopped releasing Blu-Rays for all of its current series, even its new and successful titles, I wouldn't hold my breath for a Blu-Ray release any time soon...
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Nov 12, 2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Sorry for having to delete the image, as its design hasn't been finalized yet.

Tyno
    - Webmaster of
    Malcolm-France.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tyno View Post
    Considering Fox has recently stopped releasing Blu-Rays for all of its current series, even its new and successful titles, I wouldn't hold my breath for a Blu-Ray release any time soon...
    Hi Tyno,

Thanks for the update! Yes, it does seem that all physical media, even the high-definition ones, are considered too much of an investment now to put out, or at least spend too much money on, in these uncertain times, where it's all about the cheapest possible, even free or illegal, downloads or streams. And media are more and more seen as disposable, not something for keeps ....

I hope the French DVDs are selling well though, because you have such a large, active and dedicated fanbase! Do you have any figures you'd like to share?

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Nov 12, 2014 at 07:25 AM.

Well, my Season 4 set from France arrived today, and skimming through it, I'm happy with it. It's not field blended unlike the UK set, although the bonus Company Picnic episode actually does suffer from field blending this time around. Showshank have informed me that this is because it was the only source available for the episode. From what I understand, they've worked extremely hard for the inclusion of it, as it seems FOX was either difficult, or unaware of the complete episode's existence.

I'd also like to include this screenshot comparing the UK to the FR release.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/102882

With the FR release being interlaced, the "horizontal stripes" will not be apparent during playback, as DVD players are equipped with their own de-interlacing software, whilst the UK set has ghost frames forever, it is impossible to remove that without going back to the source material, which is only accessible to the studios and owners. I do however, acknowledge that the ghosting will probably not bother everyone.

Thanks a lot for your comments, Mass, and for the explanation of the availabke source material. Yes, if you happen to get such inside information, it can turn out that the publishers are not to blame at all, but it's the reluctance of the original producers to investigate their sources, and invest in restoration or re-editing of the material. If they are convinced it's no longer of profitable retail value, they will often simply rely on syndication by third parties or downloads of old episodes, in whatever shape or quality they happen to be.

As you know I have the German version of the uncut Company Picnic episode, which came out as part of their S3 release, and it's the same in its heavy interlacing, as was to be expected - see screenshot. I still wonder why their releases are PAL instead of NTSC (they haven't told me so far, or wouldn't), but apart from that it's a rerelease of the French sources.

Company_Picnic_German_DVD_Full_episode.jpg
    Interlaced full Company Picnic episode - German DVD

By they way, it turns out I had the full Company Picnic episode all along as part of an old torrent download, but I never realized it, because it was on a back-up disk, and bad quality at that. Anyway, I'm glad you located it before me, so the French publishers could determine what they were after!

Company_Picnic_VHS_Copy_Full_episode.jpg
    Screenshot full Company Picnic episode from VHS copy, locker room scene

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Dec 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM.

Cheers Richiepiep. Here is a screenshot from a few frames earlier on the FR DVD. The interlaced screenshot you provided shows up as progressive frames on the FR DVD, so I picked a slightly earlier frame to highlight the field blending. I presume your German DVD also suffers from this amongst the interlacing as well?

vlcsnap-2014-12-05-18h50m46s169.png

Comparing both of them colour-wise, I would definitely say the German release has a more natural colour palette. What do you think?

Aha, I think I see what you mean now! You mean that after you de-interlace the image, you are left with field blending or ghosting in the case of the uncut episode, but not in the two-part one? Honestly, I wasn't aware of such technicalities. You are quite right of course, because I made screenshots of the same image from both versions of the episode after de-interlacing.

Company_Picnic_German_DVD_cut_episode_deinterlaced.jpg Company_Picnic_German_DVD_uncut_episode_deinterlaced.jpg
    Left: Company Pinic cut (2-part) version, right: uncut version.

I notice that ghosting makes the moving image, I mean when you just watch the episode at normal speed, in the second shot appear fuzzier than in the first case.

As for the colours, I agree that the French image appears just a bit warmer, more of a late aftenoon glow than the German one, which is a bit paler. I must say it's hardly noticeable though.

How to account for that? Different DVD authoring, even though they use the same source? Would a German editor have made it a bit brighter along with the PAL-conversion? Anyone's guess!

Rich
    Last edited by Richiepiep; Dec 5, 2014 at 04:43 PM.

Yep, the syndicated one is interlaced, whilst the uncut one is field blended, there is no interlacing at all on the FR DVD. It's a minor annoyance, but at least it's just the one episode affected. The effort put in to making the inclusion of this episode possible far outweighs the condition of the source material, and I still appreciate fully that they took the time to include it at all. As to why the source is field blended is a mystery, but I don't believe either DVD labels were responsible for doing it after transferring, it would be inconsistent.

Regarding the authoring, it's all down to personal preference of whoever is responsible for transferring them from tape > HDD > DVD. I imagine the PAL conversion was probably done from the tape to HDD transfer, as opposed to first digitizing it then converting, which would cause the quality loss to be more apparent.
    Last edited by mass5160; Dec 6, 2014 at 02:24 AM.