EXCLUSIVE: Malcolm in the Middle Seasons 1-7 Coming to DVD Starting 2012!

Richiepiep

Administrator
If it's an UK release they usually have French, German and Spanish subtitles. And if not, there are always English subtitles, which makes it a bit easier to follow if you have a hard time understanding the spoken language. ;)
Yes, I hope so. Somehow, Breaking Bad UK DVD releases up to now only have, for European viewers, German subtititles if I'm not mistaken, but English subtitles will definitely be available, so difficult words and unfamiliar names can be noted and always be looked up in a dictionary or online.

And apart from that:

La version originale, c'est la seule, la bonne, la vraie version! Elle est plébiscitée par les fans les plus assidus de la série, vous savez, ceux qui font des recherches interminables sur Internet, ceux qui achètent tous les produits dérivés! La version originale retransmet les intonations, les expressions, les phrases voulues par Linwood Boomer, le créateur de la série, à la virgule près. Plutôt destinée à un public anglophone, ou comprenant bien le langage américain, elle peut être idéale pour l'apprentissage de l'américain courant.
;)

http://malcolm-france.com/dossiers.php?p=doublage

Rich

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
I came across an old DVD promo video for the Season 1 release in some computer folder, possibly saved from YouTube. It's fun rewatching this! I wonder if it could be revived in some way?

I have attached the Flash video.

Rich

scottcfi

Regional encoding

I live in the U.S. and purchased the season 1 set when it was available. I want to purchase season 2-7 and it seems the only way to get them is to order from hmv/amazon.uk. Will I be able to play them on my U.S. dvd player? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Karin

Staff - The One Who Mods
You will need a region free dvd player. (or make your dvd player region free. Just search google how to do that. It should be possible with most dvd players)

Last edited:

Magic-J

Or if you are lucky the DVD itself will be region free. Sometimes it happens we never know, i hope so by the way!

tgs976

I live in the U.S. and purchased the season 1 set when it was available. I want to purchase season 2-7 and it seems the only way to get them is to order from hmv/amazon.uk. Will I be able to play them on my U.S. dvd player? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You will have to check whether your player + TV set are PAL compatible (I think most HDTVs are nowadays). There may also be region coding as others have said.

But another more pressing issue is whether they will apply PAL speedup to the 24fps film source. If they have then you will be in for quite a shock if you are used to the US 23.976 fps version - The characters will sound like chipmunks! - I can't stand it myself so if I buy the set I will be ripping the DVDs onto my PC and reversing the speedup and reburning with PAL 24:1 Pulldown rather than the speedup.
I really hope they release a Blu-ray version as the PAL speedup is no longer an issue on them, as they support PAL 23.976 and 24fps content. :)

Magic-J

You will have to check whether your player + TV set are PAL compatible (I think most HDTVs are nowadays). There may also be region coding as others have said.

But another more pressing issue is whether they will apply PAL speedup to the 24fps film source. If they have then you will be in for quite a shock if you are used to the US 23.976 fps version - The characters will sound like chipmunks! - I can't stand it myself so if I buy the set I will be ripping the DVDs onto my PC and reversing the speedup and reburning with PAL 24:1 Pulldown rather than the speedup.
I really hope they release a Blu-ray version as the PAL speedup is no longer an issue on them, as they support PAL 23.976 and 24fps content. :)

I seriously don't think they're gonna speed up the episodes to 25fps, in the U.S they use the 3:2 pulldown so it's 24fps to 30fps, i'm pretty sure they are gonna do the same thing for the english boxset but instead of 30fps it will be 25fps.

tgs976

I seriously don't think they're gonna speed up the episodes to 25fps, in the U.S they use the 3:2 pulldown so it's 24fps to 30fps, i'm pretty sure they are gonna do the same thing for the english boxset but instead of 30fps it will be 25fps.

I really hope so, but unfortunately 99% of PAL movie & US TV show DVDs have the speedup problem. Supposedly if you apply the 3:2 pulldown equivalent (called Euro Pulldown or 24:1 Pulldown) then you will get frame jittering, however I have applied this pulldown myself to several DVD's and have never experienced any problems. I'm hoping this DVD release will be the exception and use 24:1 Pulldown :D

05jashak

Somehow I only just discovered this news today!! I literally cried with happiness! :w00t: Needless to say season 1 is already pre - ordered on amazon and I am eagerly awaiting the release date in April! :):):)

tgs976

This looks like both good and bad news. Good news is we get the extended pilot. Bad news is that I compared the episode lenghts to the US DVD versions, and unfortunately the shorter episode length means that they will have the dreaded PAL 4% speedup :(

Magic-J

Hell no!!! :( I just saw this, they say the exact same thing on the bottom of the page...

That sucks, + we don't get French, German and Spanish versions... i think i'm gonna wait for a U.S release. :s

Malcolm191095

But I thought we all already knew this would have PAL speedup, being a UK release it's impossible that it wouldn't. It's probably never getting a US release because of music clearance costs (unless it sells REALLY well in the UK) and maybe there might be a Blu-ray release in the future from Fabulous Films in the UK. HD and no speed-up!!! :D

Richiepiep

Administrator
I think it's a bit weird that the Fabulous Films website is still out of order, and that, while the S1 release is due in two weeks, there isn't any cover image on display on the Amazon sites. Surely there isn't some kind of snag?

On the other hand, the release is even listed on the most popular Dutch online media shop, bol.com:

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/dvd/malcolm-in-the-middle-s1/1002004012184901/index.html

(for those interested in this kind of info, bol.com used to be the web outlet of the German publisher Bertelsmann, it's an abbreviation of Bertelsmann On-Line)

Rich

Last edited:

Malcolm191095

On the Fabulous Film's facebook page, somebody asked as to why the release date had been removed from Play.com, and Fabulous Films responded with 'confident of an April 16 release' before then writing 'Oops.. Sorry.. we're still doing tests on the masters.. please ignore previous comment.. The release date is TBC.. Thanks..', so it's not looking good I'm afraid. :(

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Yeah, I've noticed that Fabulous Films is used to delay almost all of their releases... but they do come out in the end.

However, I think we'll have to wait a lot longer to get the whole series on DVD. A series per month is quite unrealistic. I've contacted them a month ago (so that was before anything was delayed) and they already said that releases should end in early 2013, so you can already forget about the complete box set for Christmas.

:s

Wezzo

It was me who asked on their Facebook page. It's a shame that there are delays (another company, Revelation, who I believe are connected with Fabulous in some way, acquired LA Law and Two Guys And A Girl from Fox recently, and planned release dates for every season of both are already on Play.com - it would be great if it was the same for Malcolm) but on the other hand, I'm still really happy that they're being released.. I've waited ten years, I can wait a couple of extra months..

Malcolm191095

Amazon is now showing the release date as June 30th, 2012. I'm hoping the reason for this is so they can get to work on the next few seasons and hopefully get at least one out every two months or so... :)

Tyno

Malcolm-France
From Facebook:
"June is the scheduled month for the DVD release of Season 1.. We are still scheduling the remaining seasons.. subsequent seasons may follow on a monthly and some on a bi-monthly basis."

By bi-monthly, do you think they mean twice a month or once every two months?

Amazon, HMV and Play.com all updated the release date for season 1 to June 4. :)

Last edited: