How Long....?

Dew_Fan

What do you guys think the perfect episode length is for MITM. I think the perfect length would be 45 min (include commercial time). If the show was a little bit longer they would be able to do a little bit more on the sub plots. What are your thoughts?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I agree; there were many subplots throughout the series that could have either been longer or at least had Malcolm give a summary to the camera about what happened next or how a particular story ended, rather than the episode ending and the viewer being left to imagine it.

PeterU

Super Moderator
As limiting as 22 minutes is at times, I think there is a lot to be said for that format. I'm not convinced that making it longer would automatically make the show better. In some cases, yes, they could spend more time on some plots and develop more, but with the extra time comes the risk of viewer inertia. It might be the case that the pace of the show wouldn't work quite so well if it had to keep it up for 45 whole minutes!

Having said that, there are examples that it could work -- the double-episode Company Picnic works very well when viewed back-to-back. If they had used it sparingly on a few 'specials', that would be a nice compromise for me. :)

Dew_Fan

I agree with you, it would be nice if they had made a specials of the episodes that had a larger/more confusing sub-plots.