Malcolm In The Middle now on Netflix (In widescreen!)

ArtOfLosing

Topic pretty much says it all. I just searched on Netflix and found that they recently added the complete series of Malcolm In The Middle to their instant streaming service. And they're all in widescreen, meaning we can finally get that third season capped. It doesn't say anything about HD on the episode description page, and I'm not sure that I can stream in HD on my computer to check. It was added so recently that perhaps they haven't finished adding the Streaming Details? Oh well. Also, I wonder if all of the music is in tact?

Anyway... Enjoy and stream away! :w00t:

Last edited:

vouchait

The quality of the episodes on Netflix is pretty good - 480p widescreen with the original 24fps framerate. If you have access to a Netflix account, but are outside the US, watching over a relatively inexpensive US VPN works well.

In case anyone wants to see what the quality is like, here is an excerpt: "http: //www.mega upload.com/ ?d=KSBW IYJ9" (remove the spaces)

vouchait

@poppore

Here's an example from the third season: "www. fileserve .com /file/ cruh Uvk / example . 7z
" (remove the spaces)

The extraction password is t---m----b-g----s (fill in the -'s to complete the name of the band)

MacGuy24

Yeah its awesome. Finally! All this time I've been trying to download every episode from torrents and other random downloads (most of which I found here in this fourm...thx btw) and finally I have compiled all seven season entirely from downloads only to find out that Netflix has made them all available to watch on instant stream. UGHH:cursing: All that Work I did!
Well Thank god I have Netflix.
BUT BTW.....I haven't watched it all yet but I did watch the first few epiosdes on Netflix and its not with the original theme performed by They Might Be Giants. It's some other group covering the song with a different arrangement.
Lame! :nono: I knew there would be a catch. I hope all the rest of the music they used is in tact.
We'll see.

damien

I also would like to have season 3 in a good quality and widescreen, and either season 1 and some episodes of season 2, if i remember correctly, arent widescreen.
But Im from europe so I would be very grateful if someone could upload those :D

@vouchait: The quality is really amazing. My mp4 files are much bigger and the quality is worse. I would really appreciate it if you could upload more episodes, if you do not have an PA i can help you out.

Last edited:

vouchait

All of the Netflix episodes are syndication edits. As such, some music is substituted, some episodes are edited to fit the desired time, and additional fade-outs are added for more commercials. The bright side is that the quality is excellent.

Not all of the third season episodes are in widescreen on Netflix, though quite a few are. Here are some more of those: "letitbit.net / download/ 69641.6d68 9d4492525288 973f51bb600c / abc.7z.html" (remove all spaces and add http:// to the beginning) Concatenate trivia answers to get an extraction password.

Random trivia: (one word answers, all lowercase)
*What was the name of the special class Malcolm attended in junior high?
*What is Malcolm's IQ?

(Edit: I was told that the last question's answer was wrong. Use "160" as the answer, even though the correct answer may be 165.)

Last edited:

vouchait

For a few more widescreen syndication edits of season 3:
1. Consider this URL: "www. filesonic.com /file/ 567599675 /def"
2. Multiply the 9-digit number in the URL by your answer to question #4, and replace the number with your result.
3. In the URL, remove all spaces and add ".7z" to the end.
4. When extracting, concatenate your (lowercase) answers to the first two questions for a password.

Random trivia:
1. What is the last name of the actress who played Malcolm's crush in the episode "Company Picnic"?

2. What is the last name of Lois's co-worker at the drugstore?

3. What is the last name of the actor who played the character who helped Hal count cards in Blackjack? (hint: it's who you think it is)

4. How many vowels are in the answers to the previous 3 questions?

(a=15, b=10, c=11, d=12, e=2, f=17, g=20, h=22. Let me know if I missed any.)

MacGuy24

I dont understand though, How come the original theme song couldn't be used. I understand the licensing of other music from major artists being a problem but the theme song was originally intended for the show itself. I dont understand how the group They Might Be Giants or their record company would have a problem with them using the song since the show is the reason why they wrote it in the first place.
Can someone please explain this crap to me? Dont they believe in "any publicity is good publicity"?

damien

Complicated but worked well :p Thanks

@MacGuy24:
Im totally at your point.
If a music title is made or used in a film/series it is not just about the record company and the artists, there so many people who want to have a piece of the cake and if just one of them did not get payed he will be opposed. It is an idiotic system I guess, bureaucracy ^^ I cant look through it. In my opinion the artists should be the only ones who are supposed to decide if their title is published or not, but unfortunately its not that easy.

MacGuy24

Heres an interesting new tidbit about the Netflix versions. In the opening scene of the pilot episode where Lois is shaving Hal's back in the kitchen and they are listening to the radio and singing along, In the DVD version the song thats playing is "I believe in Miracles" and Hal and Lois are even singing along with it,...right? Right.
In the Netflix version in the same scene the song thats playing is "It's Your Thing" and Hal and Lois are clearly seen singing along to that as well. Its like they shot that scene two different times using two different songs. Crazy. I never knew there different versions of scenes. I wonder how many other scenes are varied like that. I also wonder if they knew they were going to have music licensing issues so thats why they made multiple scenes.

Dew_Fan

Sadly, I was able to watch all 151 ep. in 2 days because i was sick. Sad, maybe, but it was amazing watch all of the ep. so close together.

MacGuy24

Another couple things...The theme song problem seems to be fixed now. Only the first two episodes on Netflix use a different cover of the theme song with a different group performing the song with a arrangement But all the rest of the episodes after that seem to be back to normal using the original song by "They Might Be Giants". So thats good. That would have be annoying after awhile. However I must note to everyone that the first half of season 1 is all out of order. I hate when Netflix does that. They do that sometimes to certain shows.

ArtOfLosing

What makes you think they are syndicated edits? Are you only basing this off of the first episode? The first episode was extended exclusively for the DVD, so comparing the two is not an accurate way of determining whether or not it's a syndicated edit.

I only ask this because I've watched a couple episodes from the fourth season and they don't seem like syndicated edits to me. Though, to be fair, I haven't compared them side by side with the original airings yet.

Also, regarding what some of you have noticed about the different theme song in early episodes and the song replacement in the pilot, here are some facts that I pulled from the episode guide located on this very website:

During the scene where Lois is trimming Hal's back hair they are singing to a song. On the DVD version they're singing 'I Believe in Miracles' by Hot Chocolate but on the TV version they're singing 'It's Your Thing' by The Isley Brothers.
The theme song is different. It is the same tune, but it is slower than usual. The clips used in this episode were originally chosen as temporary clips, because the final theme was not ready by the original air date; however the crew decided they preferred the temporary theme to the prepared permanent one and so chose to stick with the original, modifying it only slightly for later episodes.
There you go. It's not Netflix's fault, that's how it's always been.
The extended version of this episode, which appears on the Season 1 DVD, runs for 25 minutes instead of the average 21.

The full entry for this episode can be found here.