Parents Evening

admin

Retired Administrator
Don't you just detest this day so much! The day you and your parents are dragged to school to see your teachers - you always know what they are going to say as they're so predicatable. I just find it one of the most pointless events of the year.

I just had mine today (Oct 3rd) luckily I'd arranged it so I would only be spending about 15 minutes there, some time you end up spending 30 minutes or more. Was pretty boring, but at least it went quickly!

Any thoughts on the delights of parents evening :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I dont have to go to my parent evening if i dont want to, generally they dont advise it, however, i went last year cause i was like, erm excuss me but this is my grades my work and my future what the crap has it got to do with my parents!

Emrysgirl

We stopped having those after middle school. Now, we have one counselor meeting and the purpose is differnt based on the grade you're in.

9th - about grades, courses, fitting in - general boring useless stuff

10th - standardized tests scores and plans for the future

11th - college meeting very specific discussion about colleges: where to apply, deadlines, creating/submitting a resume, teacher recs.

12th - follow up college update meetings - optional and very rare. The students have multiple meetings with the counselor, but the parents only come once and only if they have something really important to talk about.

Emrysgirl

tjpeople said:
I dont have to go to my parent evening if i dont want to, generally they dont advise it, however, i went last year cause i was like, erm excuss me but this is my grades my work and my future what the crap has it got to do with my parents!
How about 'they're paying for it':D? I totally understand that parents can get way too involved and can actually hurt you're grades etc. But, I don't think one meeting per year is an intrusion. The meetings are boring and pointless, but that's a differnt point.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I always hated that time as well, I'd spend the evening worrying about what the teachers would be saying, even though it was all positive in the end. We only had the option of attending in Grade 12, but wouldn't the teachers find it hard to say much with you there too?

samboo1

Oh dont remind me about parents evening. Thats soon for me. How come they have it so early on in the term? They have nothing to comment on!
I just try to pick a few subjects so basically me and me parents step in...then out! Its not that im afraid of what the teachers will say its just boring sitting there listening to your teachers blabbering on about how you chat to much or day dream or why im at the front of the class. It annoys me. I have a line up of terrible things happening at school at the moment and parents evening just happens to be one of them!:rolleyes:

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
samboo1 said:
Oh dont remind me about parents evening. Thats soon for me... Its not that im afraid of what the teachers will say its just boring sitting there listening to your teachers blabbering on about how you chat to much or day dream or why im at the front of the class... :rolleyes:

That's it for me. I don't go to them, my parents do. I've been at school for (about) 7 hours aday for 5 days, and now 3 more hours a day for 3 days, and my Saturday is completly ruined because of school (band is considered school, we get graded on a report card on it) Why should I go again? I know where my classes are, I know what my teachers name's are, I just stay home and a) sleep, b) do homework, or c) sit in front of the tv (or computer:)).

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
@ EmrysGirl, they dont pay for it! its a public school, so its totally free.

admin

Retired Administrator
tjpeople said:
@ EmrysGirl, they dont pay for it! its a public school, so its totally free.
I also go to a state school, so my parents don't pay directly for my education.

admin

Retired Administrator
J. said:
Your parents pay indirectly by paying taxes, as do mine.
Very true, although at least it means you pay something that you can afford. Some schools in this country (private schools) can cost over $50,000 or so per year - I suppose thats the same in the States.

Emrysgirl

yardgames said:
Aditi, tell us how your college interview went!
It went well...very well. It was stupid and boring, but it went well. I'm avoinding details because I can very easily slip into a rant about this:D. Although I'll probably end up doing that sometime anyway.

Parents Evening is so annoying. Last year i had to be with my parents. My teacher said i have to read more technical things such as broadsheets and the newspaper. nooooooooo!! i thought. Luckily i did good in lots of things though!

D

Deleted member 1693

My parents and the parents at my school all agree that the school is expensive. I'm really bad with monetary figures and I don't know the actual cost, though. They don't even let us (students) come to the parent's night at this place.