Parents Evening
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parents Evening

Default Parents Evening

Don't you just detest this day so much! The day you and your parents are dragged to school to see your teachers - you always know what they are going to say as they're so predicatable. I just find it one of the most pointless events of the year.

I just had mine today (Oct 3rd) luckily I'd arranged it so I would only be spending about 15 minutes there, some time you end up spending 30 minutes or more. Was pretty boring, but at least it went quickly!

Any thoughts on the delights of parents evening

Default Re: Parents Evening

I dont have to go to my parent evening if i dont want to, generally they dont advise it, however, i went last year cause i was like, erm excuss me but this is my grades my work and my future what the crap has it got to do with my parents!
    Need help? Email Me Here

We stopped having those after middle school. Now, we have one counselor meeting and the purpose is differnt based on the grade you're in.

9th - about grades, courses, fitting in - general boring useless stuff

10th - standardized tests scores and plans for the future

11th - college meeting very specific discussion about colleges: where to apply, deadlines, creating/submitting a resume, teacher recs.

12th - follow up college update meetings - optional and very rare. The students have multiple meetings with the counselor, but the parents only come once and only if they have something really important to talk about.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

More or less, that's the boat I'm in too.

Quote Originally Posted by tjpeople
    I dont have to go to my parent evening if i dont want to, generally they dont advise it, however, i went last year cause i was like, erm excuss me but this is my grades my work and my future what the crap has it got to do with my parents!
    How about 'they're paying for it'? I totally understand that parents can get way too involved and can actually hurt you're grades etc. But, I don't think one meeting per year is an intrusion. The meetings are boring and pointless, but that's a differnt point.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

I always hated that time as well, I'd spend the evening worrying about what the teachers would be saying, even though it was all positive in the end. We only had the option of attending in Grade 12, but wouldn't the teachers find it hard to say much with you there too?

Oh dont remind me about parents evening. Thats soon for me. How come they have it so early on in the term? They have nothing to comment on!
    I just try to pick a few subjects so basically me and me parents step in...then out! Its not that im afraid of what the teachers will say its just boring sitting there listening to your teachers blabbering on about how you chat to much or day dream or why im at the front of the class. It annoys me. I have a line up of terrible things happening at school at the moment and parents evening just happens to be one of them!
    Malcolm: Where did you get $30??
    Reese: What are you a cop?? (S2E22)

Quote Originally Posted by samboo1
    Oh dont remind me about parents evening. Thats soon for me... Its not that im afraid of what the teachers will say its just boring sitting there listening to your teachers blabbering on about how you chat to much or day dream or why im at the front of the class...
    That's it for me. I don't go to them, my parents do. I've been at school for (about) 7 hours aday for 5 days, and now 3 more hours a day for 3 days, and my Saturday is completly ruined because of school (band is considered school, we get graded on a report card on it) Why should I go again? I know where my classes are, I know what my teachers name's are, I just stay home and a) sleep, b) do homework, or c) sit in front of the tv (or computer).
    The jerk formerly known as J.

@ EmrysGirl, they dont pay for it! its a public school, so its totally free.
    Need help? Email Me Here

Quote Originally Posted by tjpeople
    @ EmrysGirl, they dont pay for it! its a public school, so its totally free.
    I also go to a state school, so my parents don't pay directly for my education.