What does your desktop look like.

Nico21

Mine is exactly the opposite, I have nothing on my desktop. No widgets, no icons, my favourites programs are in the 'quicklaunch' bar (near the start button), and this bar is on the left side of my screen (which I think is easier to use, I can have many windows openned without grouping them)
My desktop is a personnal picture of a mountain village by night, and I have a black skin for Windows XP.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I'm slowly adjusting to Vista as being the successor of XP in the operating system arena. By default, Vista is the ugliest monster ever though; Leopard definitely wins there. If you tweak it enough you can make it look all right though. And I hate desktop widgets. They just get in the way. But this is what I've come up with.

D

Deleted member 1693

I'd definitely have to agree with you, YG. XP has always been my favorite Windows operating system. In fact, when I get a new computer (probably this Christmas), I'm going to try to overwrite Vista with it. It's just too alien for me.

D

Deleted member 1693

That's the most disappointing part about it...

I can't wait until I get my nice, small laptop. It's got alright space, and it has a microphone and a webcam. :laugh:

I'm stuck at my horrible desktop computer until then.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
The only hardware that XP won't support would be DirectX-10 graphics cards. And MS may crack under all the anti-Vista pressure and release DX10 for XP yet. At first, XP was supposed to be off retail shelves in January and off OEM next July, but both of those dates have been suspended indefinitely and SP3 is coming out in a couple of months.

AlexTheMartian

The only hardware that XP won't support would be DirectX-10 graphics cards. And MS may crack under all the anti-Vista pressure and release DX10 for XP yet. At first, XP was supposed to be off retail shelves in January and off OEM next July, but both of those dates have been suspended indefinitely and SP3 is coming out in a couple of months.

that is a relief. and yeah, it was dx10 video cards that got me worried, that it will be the same with other new hardware. yeah, they cant hold xp down :tongue:

Kratos

I kinda like Vista... :blushing: Not keen on the default of "tags" and "Date taken" in the sort mode... and it's really annoying when moving large folders around and its asking if its ok to do it all the time lol.

But other wise Thumbs up!:thumbup1: Why do others hate it?

D

Deleted member 1693

I just don't like the format... I'm extremely accustomed to XP.

Or maybe it's because I'm not keen on most change.

AlexTheMartian

IMO the new features ain't worth the extra gigs of ram.

my exact view.

but, does anyone know if disabling the eye candy bring it back down to xp-like levels? from what i heard, it always will take up more ram.

I thought the successor to XP would be one that take LESS ram, not MORE :eek:hmy: . I wanted the next Windows to me more Linux-like :laugh:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
The eye candy isn't what uses the RAM at all. Aero Glass is completely dependent on the video card which is why you need a hefty one in order to run it.

Now to be fair, the minimum requirement for Vista is 2 GB which is the recommended requirement for XP. Of course, the recommendation for Vista is 4 GB. XP is counterproductive with more than 4 GB but Vista can support and utilize up to 64 GB of RAM. Sadly disabling the eye candy doesn't reduce the RAM need.

Emily1714

Here is mine. This is a pic that I made today on imikimi.com and picnik.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Here is mine. This is a pic that I made today on imikimi.com and picnik.com.

Emily, I can't help remarking in this company I'm so glad Jane is still very much alive! I love Jane, a real power woman, who's great fun, but also someone who makes very sensible, down-to-earth comments that are spot-on.

And like all MITM cast members, she's great at drama and comedy. In fact, I remember those scenes when she was having Jamie in late Season 4, early Season 5 of MITM, and in the midst of chaos and mayhem, there would suddenly be moments of poignancy that Jane and Bryan could pull off just like that. I've seen her do that on other shows to, where she all of a sudden gets teary-eyed and then goes off on a completely different tangent.

I think that's an amazing ability!

Rich

P.S. Picking up from above, I stuck with Windows XP just before shops discontinued it and went over to Vista. I couldn't be bothered with all the Vista 'eye candy' and the resulting slowness and bulkiness. I still have a weakness for Unix and Apple though, which I used for a number of years when Windows was still awfully unstable and bound to crash every few days or so. I still don't like MS Windows, but I went with the flow.

My desktop image is just the standard Irish golf course. I've tried different ones, but stuck with this default image. I guess it's soothing ;-).

Last edited:

Lparsons7981

BreakingBad_post38_1024x728_04.jpg