Is "Hal" short for something?

fox123

I suppose it is really, but Hal could be a nickname. Wouldn't the program tell you whether it is a nickname tho. It's a total mystery.

Blinky

Dewey

There was another "Dewey" in "School of Rock" - Dewey Finn. Totally different from the orginal Dewey, too. :)

APK

Dewey was the name of one of those three ducks, wasn't it? Huey, Dewey and Louie.

Also, I don't know if anyone has heard of the group America (they were aa 1970s group) one of the members is called Dewey Bunnell. Some of their songs were Horse With No Name, Tin Man, Ventura Highway, Muskrat Love. I like them.

I've always thought Hal was short for Henry or Harry, but it could be Hal's full name.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Alex was right about Hal as a nickname for 'Henry'.

If you know/remember Shakespeare's play Henry IV, Henry's eldest son Henry, later King Henry V, is nicknamed "Prince Hal" and "Hal" throughout the play.

But like "Harry", which was originally familiar for "Henry", "Harold" and "Harrison", "Hal" is now also given as a full name at birth.

Rich

flipfreak4

as the character clearly states in while thrashing his sons at basketball, Hal is short for 'Halinator'. :)

Last edited: