Is "Hal" short for something? - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is "Hal" short for something?

Default Re: Is "Hal" short for something?

To my knowlegde, Lois isn't short for anything. I'm almost completely sure it's not short for Louise. The only doubt I have is because Southern nicknames are weird eg Jack for John, Polly for Mary...they're just so unpredictable.
    So, that must just have been the phrase, as samboo1 mentioned.

I'm not sure if Hal is short for anything. While rarely found, it isn't an unusual name. I've seen it before. I think there was a movie a few years back called "Shallow Hal"...well, it was "something Hal".

Francis is a common name.

I haven't met or heard of anyone named Reese other than Reese Witherspoon. That was the weirdest name to me.

Malcolm is also common.

I've never heard Dewey before either.

Jamie is also a common name.

In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

Well, I looked up "Hal". It is a name on it's own; it doesn't have to be short for anything. It was originally a short form of Harold, though.

And apparently "Megan" means "soft and gentle". That doesn't match me at all.

In the "Robbery" episode, one of the actors playing the robbers is named Dewey (Weber) but I never heard about this name before MitM, first i thought it was spelled "Douie", then i saw it written correctly and now that's even my cat's name !

The son of Dr Benton (i think) in "ER" is named Reese, but "Hal" and "Lois" don't surprise me a lot. Maybe the characters' names are quite unusual but keep in mind the creator of the show is named Linwood !

Good point! Its like today in english we were writing stories and the teacher said that its better to find interesting and uncommon names, even if it means no-one has heard of them, and i suppose MITM has done that. I must admit it does sound better having umcommon names rather than something common like James (no offence, i like the name im just saying that its a popular one ).
    Malcolm: Where did you get $30??
    Reese: What are you a cop?? (S2E22)

I´ve never heard most of the names before mitm, either. Lois, Jamie and Francis seem common names though. By the way, did anyone else notice that 3 of the boys have names which are also girl names? (Francis, Jamie, Reese)
    I was wondering about that "Per" in Erik´s name. Is that a middle name or is it part of his surname?

Per is Erik's mother's name, his father is named Fred Sullivan and Erik has the name of both his parents but he said one day in an interview that his name was actually Per.

Quote Originally Posted by allison
    By the way, did anyone else notice that 3 of the boys have names which are also girl names? (Francis, Jamie, Reese)
    And in two of the cases, the show has made reference to that fact. Francis having the same name as a girl in If Boys Were Girls, and not revealing whether Jamie was a boy or a girl.

Thanks for the information, that´s really interesting.

Well I know a guy whose surname is Hallos and some people call him Hal.

That sounds more like a nickname, then.