Timeline

Lozart

Holy crap.
My family is the exact kind of family as the Wilkersons! We even got the ages right.

I am the oldest and 3 years apart from the second oldest and 5 years apart from the 3rd oldest.

And I have a little baby sister :) (Jamie, but in girl form)

The only thing missing is that we're missing a person (they have 5 kids we have 4). Wonder who it is.

HaroldXD

I think some may be wrong, according to wikipedia Malcolm starts in 5th grade, and Reese in 6th. Just saying. He looks a bit young to be in 6th grade also same with Reese. In the first episode remember he walks Dewey to school which would be an elementary school which only goes to 5th grade.

flipfreak4

Hendrix, thanks for the correction. I looked into it, and unfortunately, it's not completely meant to work out. The writers don't think about it that hard so it's not all going to work out. If I move Cynthia's Back to March, then Company Picnic would have to be in March as well, and I really don't think one could have a picnic--in which the leaves are green, I might add--in March...regardless of where they live. Even April is a bit of a stretch there.

We just have to pretend maybe he meant it was or just ignore it because, as I said, it's not going to fit otgether perfectly

I know this was some time ago but I'll just add... In Cynthia's Back, Reese is clearly poonting to the bottom of the calandar ... Probably around the 28th instead of the 8th! So I think it's likely he's got his dates mixed up, therefore the episode could be set in almost any month. After all, he is Reese. :)

flipfreak4

In Funeral Malcolm says it's Dewey's birthday next week, which doesn't work if Funeral's in June and Dewey's birthday's in September...!

zachman93

The main problem I have with this is that Malcolm is supposedly 16 when he graduates - assuming that he didn't skip any grades (was placed in special classes unexpectedly), that seems very inaccurate to me. If he started the show at age 12, it might work, but otherwise it seems to be to be a fatal flaw. Any ideas?

Richiepiep

Administrator
The main problem I have with this is that Malcolm is supposedly 16 when he graduates - assuming that he didn't skip any grades (was placed in special classes unexpectedly), that seems very inaccurate to me. If he started the show at age 12, it might work, but otherwise it seems to be to be a fatal flaw. Any ideas?

Well, I'm not a mathematician, but I've always assumed that he was 11 or 12 when the show started (Jan. 2000). Actually, the original script calls for a 9-year-old (really!), and Frankie was 14, almost 15 when the first episodes were filmed, so 11/12 (also considering his classmates look about 11 (Craig Lamar Traylor (Stevie) was 10 in reality, as was Landry Allbright (Julie), and Kyle Sullivan (Dabney) was 11) is a good estimate.

This would mean he could have graduated at 17 or 18 in May 2006, not 16.

Rich

Last edited:

zachman93

Which makes much more sense! Also, some of Malcolm's jokes and activities would seem very odd if he were up to two years younger at all times - i.e. Forbidden Girlfriend possibly taking place when he was 13? Don't think so.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Which makes much more sense! Also, some of Malcolm's jokes and activities would seem very odd if he were up to two years younger at all times - i.e. Forbidden Girlfriend possibly taking place when he was 13? Don't think so.

Well, I think the producers flubbed a bit, or they just had to, because of Frankie's growth spurt and the way his voice broke at the end of the first Season. That's why they had to get rid of Julie Houlerman, and by the time they filmed 'Bowling' in Season 2, Malcolm was flirting with Alex McKenna, who was 16, and it didn't look incompatible!

Rich

zachman93

Well, it seems more logical to me that there was a time lapse in Season One - I have heard that he was 12 when the first episodes were filmed (which would make sense), but he seems to age very rapidly over Season One, leading me to believe that production started a handful of years before it aired, and that Frankie was perhaps a year or two older by the end of Season one - so started the critical age difference between actor and character.

Richiepiep

Administrator
See article thread

In another unusual creative decision, certain key details in "Malcolm in the Middle'' - also starring Jane Kaczmarek as the no-nonsense mom, Lois; Bryan Cranston as the dad, Hal; and Christopher Kennedy Masterson as their smooth-talking oldest son, Francis - are kept ambiguous. For example, the family's last name, city of residence, the dad's exact profession and the show's time period are never discussed.

Add to that the touchy question of Malcolm's age. When the pilot was shot in 1999, Muniz easily passed for his character's age of 9. Since then, he's grown a foot taller and started to look post- instead of prepubescent

"We've decided not to say anything about his age on the show,'' Boomer said. 'It's like the city they live in. We're just saying he's attending middle school, not the actual grade level. We don't want to be locked into something. Kids are so protean with what they say, anyway. Sometimes they act like 9-year-olds and sometimes like 30-year-olds.''

cadetspangler

For season 1, everything until Waterpark is during the school year. Then you've got a gap of at least 2 months between "Smunday" and "The bots and the bees". Assuming Francis came home with Lois on her flight and got the boys grounded later that day, at least two months have to have passed, and Smunday still has to be in June, implying that every episode up til "The bots in the bees" has to be before mid-april.

"Red Dress" took place right after Christmas since that's when Hal and Lois' anniversary is, but Pilot could have been much earlier in the year.

I should notice that "Vegas" marks the anniversary that Francis started working at the ranch...so it has to take place around the same time of the year as Zoo, which was late summer.

I think Grandma Sues was in late fall; Forbidden Girlfriend started "6 weeks into the year" so it couldn't have been in December.

The problem with Dewey's birthday is in season 6...seasons 1 and 4 implied it was in May or June, but season 6 implies it's between Pearl Harbor Day and Christmas...both of which are in December. Really, though, Kitty's Back doesn't fit well into season 6 at all...I mean, who sunbathes in December?

Francis' birthday is screwed up too over the years; it's shortly after thanksgiving in season 2 but well after Christmas and well before Halloween in season 6.

Also, Hal and Lois had 2 anniversaries in 2005 :confused: I assume Blackout takes place several months after "Halloween"