What would be your Malcolm Spinoff (If at all, for hypothetical reasons be positive!)

Ryebeach

Great question admin! I would say the most likely to suceed spinoff would be Francis and Piama. First off, with them you have two developed characters which, in my opinion, would be easier to make work than one character, as we saw with the Friends spinoff Joey, where there was only one character that the audience was able to draw off of from their history with him. The audience of MITM knows Francis and Piama and their history, characteristics, flaws etc, thus making for relatable characters. Plus, they are at the right age to begin a family of their own and we could see Francis incorporate his experiences from growing up with Lois and Hal, rub off on his kids. We could see him struggle to decide if he should be more like Lois or Hal with his parenting skills or develop some of his own. It would also be funny to see Francis in a permanent work place and get to know his co-workers for supporting characters. And the occasional visit by Lois, Hal, Dewey, Jamie, Malcolm, Reese and of course, Ida.:eek: would ensure that a part of MITM would live on for years to come.

Wemboy

Re: What would be your Malcolm Spinoff (If at all, for hypothetical reasons be positive!)

I know i probably go on about Frasier a bit, but i think it's a great show. Anyway, Frasier wasn't really a fully developed character, and that worked in the show's favour, they could take the show where they wanted without worrying too much about his past. In fact, the similarities to Joey are quite striking, in that he was the only chacracter in the show that the audience knew at all. The difference was that the character of Joey was too well known to the audience, so everyone was left thinking, "yeh it's funny, but it was better when he was back in New York", or something like that.

I think if they were going to have a Francis and Piama spinoff, then they'd need to be very brave and create a whole load of new chacracters. Also, they could have guest appearances from the other Wilkersens, but they shouldn't rely on these characters too much. The show would only be a success if they really tried to create something totally new, rather than trying to recreate MITM.

Jimmy Junior

Re: What would be your Malcolm Spinoff (If at all, for hypothetical reasons be positive!)

Since this is a purely speculative idea, a spinnoff about Francis and Piama (and their children) certainly seems like a natural progression.
We touched on this subject a while ago and all agreed that any kind of spinnoff would be a bad idea, but if it were to happen, I reckon Francis and Piama would be the characters to base it around.