What would be your Malcolm Spinoff (If at all, for hypothetical reasons be positive!)

admin

Retired Administrator
If I were to make a spin off of MITM, after the ending I think I would possibly choose a Francis and Piama spinoff, or possibly a Craig spinoff.

I believe from previous spinoffs that major character spinoffs don't work as well as say less well known characters, Fraiser being the prime example, and Joey being the prime failure.

These two sets would give you loads of remove to manouvre, and we would have tonnes of interseting storylines surrounding what they actually do in their spare time.

For example we could see what Craig does in the day, after work etc.

And perhaps Francis and Piama could start a family for Malcolm (Jr) In The Middle!

Any ideas, thoughts on a spinoff, who would you choose as your character(s) and what would you do with them.

Wemboy

Re: What would be your Malcolm Spinoff (If at all, by for hypothetical reasons be +ive!)

It's true what you say about the lesser known characters often having the best spin offs. So i think the Craig idea would work well, he's always been a good supporting actor (on Ellen as well as MITM) so i think he could pull off a lead role. Maybe something like Stevie at college would be another idea. He'd surely have some interesting experiences getting used to being away from home, although they'd have to modify the way he spoke if he was going to be the main character in a show, as i think it would become annoying fairly quickly.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Re: What would be your Malcolm Spinoff (If at all, by for hypothetical reasons be +ive!)

A Francis and Piama spinoff would be good. And the Krelboynes would make an interesting spinoff too, with each episode involving a specific project similar to those they did in MITM (the rocket in High School Play, the Robot in Bots and the Bees)

admin

Retired Administrator

With a Stevie spinoff, they could maintain his difficulty in speaking, but also have a lot of "Thinking" where you can here him thinking like JD in Scrubs.

Amigo22

Super Moderator

A Stevie spinoff would indeed be really interesting, retaining the same lifestyle as what we have seen in MITM eg overprotective parents, smart etc

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Re: What would be your Malcolm Spinoff (If at all, for hypothetical reasons be positive!)

Another interesting spin-off was Dabney, Lloyd and Stevie going to college an d sharing an appartement. Stevie's parents would come every weekend to see there "little baby".

samboo1

Re: What would be your Malcolm Spinoff (If at all, for hypothetical reasons be positive!)

I tihnk so far i like the Francis and Piama spin off idea. But id also like to see maybe a spin off showing life at Marlin academy.

There is a sort of spin off of Malcolm in the Middle called Oliver Beene. It is set in the 60's and the main character for some reason I can't understand, looks like Malcolm. He has an older, embarrasing brother (like Reese).

Does anyone watch/heard of it?

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I think that show went off-air, didn't it? I saw one or two episodes, but I never really enjoyed it.

samboo1

I've seen it. Ive never watched it fully but ive seen the characters. Ive got to say though that i dont think the main character looks like malcolm. That is if its the character im thinking of.

Amigo22

Super Moderator

samboo1 said:
I tihnk so far i like the Francis and Piama spin off idea. But id also like to see maybe a spin off showing life at Marlin academy.
That would be a good one.

If i created a spin off of Malcolm in the Middle, it would probably be called ' Kevin, the younger to the older'. It would be about a boy aged 14 called Kevin who has two enemies, one younger and one older. His family are different to him in every way possible. His mum wears wierd clothes and his dad keeps teeling jokes that aren't funny!! His two brothers are constantly fighting one another!!

admin

Retired Administrator

MalcolmReeseDewey said:
If i created a spin off of Malcolm in the Middle, it would probably be called ' Kevin, the younger to the older'. It would be about a boy aged 14 called Kevin who has two enemies, one younger and one older. His family are different to him in every way possible. His mum wears wierd clothes and his dad keeps teeling jokes that aren't funny!! His two brothers are constantly fighting one another!!
You realise the definition of a spinoff is take an entire character from the series including its personalities etc not to make up your own similar sitcom :D

There was a Kevin in MITM, but now he would be the same age as Malcolm, plus have very similar storylines.

When looking at sucessful spinoffs they are often very different from the originals, eg Fraiser and Cheers. Although somehow CSI and L&O manage to pull off identical spinoffs!

lala

it would be quite hard to make a spin off series, it did work with some programmes but usually it doesn't. Like joey- friends spin off- it didn't really take off.

Squeaky Yugi

I got this idea from the official website. Malcolm says he found some videos Craig left behind while he was living at their house. Maybe, right before the halfway break, he could play one. The ones on the website include Craig reciting poetry about how much he hates Hal and talking about how well he knows Jellybean. They could do something like this every season.

CJman327

Oh my gosh! Hasn't ANYBODY thought of this one yet? Malcolm going to college! He'll meet girls, make friends, all that stuff!:) :D
Maybe it would be called:Malcolm Goes To College*
Or maybe a show with Dewey, maybe: Dewey's World**

*working title
**Courtesy of FOX Forum Members

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom

It's not really a spinoff in any way. It just had some similarities, but really not many.

fox123

I would take reese out of mitm and stick him in the middle of a soap Opera. Like Corination Street or Eastenders. How do you think Reese would cope?

Jimmy Junior

I think the reason main characters don't make good material for spin-offs is that their lives incorporate the other main characters too much, whereas a lesser-known character could easily be removed and explored in further detail.

So in real terms, while a spin-off about Malcolm at college would inevitably involve Hal and Lois in some way because they're his parents, a spin-off about the Kenarbens could be much more interesting - we don't know a great deal about Abe and Kitty (their parents etc) and Stevie could make new friends.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

I agree that a spinoff involving Francis and Piama would be a great idea. Also, this isn't really a spinoff, but if the show continues for more seasons I think the focus should shift to Dewey since Malcolm and Reese will probably be moving out and going to college next year...well, Malcolm anyway. :) If that happens, we could still see what's going on in Malcolm and Reese's lives, but they would probably have smaller roles like Francis does now. The main focus would be on Dewey since he's about the age that Malcolm was when the show started. Dewey could start talking to the camera like Malcolm and all that. But then they'd have to call it Dewey in the Middle, wouldn't they? Hmmm, just a thought.