Unfollowed up, unresolved, disappearing storylines and characters.

admin

Retired Administrator
Many storylines from MITM simply haven't been followed up, nothing has happened about them, they just ended in that episode and that was it. For example...

Malcolm learning to drive: has he regained his pass back from Lois, and why do we never see him drive?

Malcolm and basketball: as he's such a "good" player what happened to it? He made the team in Season 5, now there is no mention at all.

The Krelboynes: They seemed to dissapear of the face of the planet.

Cynthia: As with the Krelboynes, simply dissappeared after Cynthia's Back

Jessic: Came, stayed and went in one single episode! Although it appears she'll be back in a Season 7 episode if those episode names are correct.

Has anyone any other unfollowed up storylines/characters etc....

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
There was the one about the credit card that malcolm got and then Hal used it for a skiing holiday. We never heard about it again.

admin

Retired Administrator
tjpeople said:
There was the one about the credit card that malcolm got and then Hal used it for a skiing holiday. We never heard about it again.
Thats an excellent one, I thought of another one...

What ever happened to that over sized rabbit of Deweys!

CJman327

Jessica appeared in Pearl Harbor too.

Also in "Health Scare", whatever happened to when Hal and Lois said they were getting divorced. It's pretty obvious they weren't going too. But they just kind of forgot about it.:confused: Reese and Malcolm kind of just stopped talking about it!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, we assume Caroline gets a different job after she's no longer there; sometimes references are made to Malcolm's driving. Like in Butterflies, Lois told Malcolm that she was getting a ride with Craig, so he could take the car; and they've made references to Malcolm's basketball skills throughout the series, not just the one ep. Like the one where Hal and the boys play ball--High School Play, I think. And a lot of times, we'll see Malcolm wlak into the kitchen with a basketball.

allison

CJman327 said:
Jessica appeared in Pearl Harbor too.

Also in "Health Scare", whatever happened to when Hal and Lois said they were getting divorced. It's pretty obvious they weren't going too. But they just kind of forgot about it.:confused: Reese and Malcolm kind of just stopped talking about it!
Hal and Lois probably told them that Lois had just said that to scare the boys. :D
We also didn´t see what kind of punishment Reese received after he had "stolen" the driver´s ed car. And what happened to Jackie? We never saw her after or before that episode, though Reese and her seemed to know each other pretty well.
Though I sometimes like these endings where they don´t reveal every information. I think it´s funnier that way. But it´s a little annoying when they get rid of funny characters without any explanation.

admin

Retired Administrator
The one that annoys me the most is we never found out what Hal did to "rescue" the unconsious guy in "Living Will"!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
And yet...that's part of the beauty of MITM. Some of the most integral elements are left up to the viewer to decide on in the mind's eye.

allison

That´s right, but I think in this special episode it didn´t appear as clever as usually. It´s great that they leave it up to the viewer to decide how an episode could have ended (e.g Jury duty, Halloween approximately, Lois´birthday etc), but in this case I think it was a little (sorry for using that word, but) lame.
The whole episode was about this hard decision Hal had to make and in the end he just said something like "I found the perfect solution" (can´t remember what exactly he said). I expected a better ending to be honest.

admin

Retired Administrator
I think the removal of Francis and Piama from the ranch was really dodgy, we never really got told what happened there - that could have been a great episode, instead it was some lame one liner about how Francis was not putting Otto's money in the bank at all.

Also Otto was supposed to sue Francis, that wasn't resolved! :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Yea the Otto/ranch thing was probly IMO the worst story decssion in MITM history, it just was unthought through and didnt make sense.

admin

Retired Administrator
I've another one!

What ever happened to Richie?

There are two Richie storylines that were never really followed up..

• Firstly his complete disappearance after Season 3 or so.
  • Secondly what happened to him at Marlin, did his mom let him come home, did he stay?

samboo1

Yeah, well he left that, promising the boys free burgers and rides to school, and we never saw the boys take advantage of that. He just must of got busted as allison said.