Help choosing a new phone - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help choosing a new phone

Default Re: Help choosing a new phone

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Junior
    If you're spending more than about £25 a month on PAYG you should seriously consider pay monthly phone (contract) - the inclusive minutes work out much cheaper than PAYG and you get a better handset, usually free.
    Thats exactly why I have a contract instead of PAYG. Also, I don't think you can make international calls with some PAYG operators.

Something i don't understand though is what happens to your inclusive minutes when you don't use the full amount one month. Why can they never carry over to the following month. I mean, i have 120 mins each month. Sometimes, i may only use around 100 minutes. Another month, i might go over the allocation and use, say 140 mins; and end up paying extra for doing so. I'm sure cell phone companies must make a fortune from this.

More of my rants about cell phone companies coming soon..

I personally recommend Orange for a reason other than phone calls. They have their "Orange Film Wednesday" promotion whereby with your Orange phone you can text the word "film" to 241 and your participating cinema will give you two tickets for the price of one, should you go on a Wednesday.

Another way to see it is that you and your friend can see a movie each week at half price. If you attend the cinema as often as i do [I'm already on first name terms with the lady behind the desk], this is a very good promotion indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    Lol what are you, some kind of phone reviewer?
    LOL! No, I just worked at the Carphone Warehouse (independent phone shop) for a while. Their slogan used to be "simple, impartial, advice".

@ Dewey

Orange offer plenty of other incentives other than 'Orange Wednesdays', for example, if your call gets dropped, call up Orange and they'll refund the entire cost of the call to you.
    You get however many minutes you've got doubled up to use in the evenings to other Orange phones and landlines for the life of the contract.
    Orange will match any deal that the major networks are doing, so for example you can get O2 100 (100 x-net mins and 100 texts), but on Orange.

With their PAYG phones they give you 2 free calls when your credit has run out, and your number is generated by them when you register, so if you lose your phone or you upgrade, you can keep your old number.
    There are a few more, but I can't remember them all right now.

If you're on Orange's 'Your Plan 120' (120 mins x-net per month) then your minutes should roll over for 1 month - for example, if you used 80 of your 120 minutes, then the next month you would get 160. If in the next month you only used 10 of those 160 minutes, only 120 minutes would roll over, so instead of getting 270 minutes you'd only get 240 the next month - the standard 120 plus whatever was left over from the previous month's inclusive minutes (in this case the full 120).
    It's easier to understand than to portray in writing!

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    I am also looking for a digital camera, the best one I've found it the Fuji Finepix E550 6.3mega pixels, 4x optical zoom for £159.00
    I'd advise againt it, i have a a few digital camera's in my time and done lots of research on them, and it comes down to what you want out of the camera?

are you interetsed in taking really hight quality pictures for huge print/pro phtographs?, i mean, it seems you have just MP counted its got 6 so its good,

the camera is that small, so if you after something you can carry aroudn easily then its not the ones, as xD pictures cards are bad limited to only 512Mb and expensive. persoanlly id got with camera's with SD cards or secondsly CF cards. i can advise more if you expalin wat u want the camera 4.......

I have this camera, it 5MP way enought 4 a4 prints, cost about £225 (less now) and really tiny. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_.../optios5i.html

i'd check out camera's on steve's digicam review he does the best user eviews about
    Need help? Email Me Here

I agree that not everything is perfect about the E550, but I just bought one, and overall it's a good compact camera. I did extensive research, and perhaps the E550's best feature is that it has an interpolated mode that artificially increases the resolution to 12 MP. It takes in RAW and JPEG format, although I do dislike it uses xD cards. But the batteries last awhile, it's small, compact, and powerful, and prints it produced on my vacation in Yosemite were absolutely breathtaking!

The camera seem to get great reviews on amazon, as regards the 6MP and the great value (159.00) it is alot cheaper than many of its lower resolution counterparts. As yg says its not perfect but I think it might be what I am after..

High resolution
    Good quality pics
    Good optical zoom capabilities
    A few extra features, movies etc.
    Reasonably sized viewing screen
    Good Value

My range with the camera is probably about 180£ max, as someone is going to buy it for my next birthday... I am always open to suggestions though