Ideas on attracting new visitors - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas on attracting new visitors

Default Re: Ideas on attracting new visitors

Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    In my opinion, that could delete valued members who are simply on hiatus (like tjpeople). On the other hand, it may be more tidying up than anything, because there are probably a lot of members who don't even remember they registered. What are the pros and cons in your eyes?
    That's an excellent point yardgames and a major reason why I'm not for this idea. I signed up here in January, posted a bit and then didn't post again for a few months afterwards due to my schedule and I probably would have been upset if I returned and found my membership deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    These are certainly ideas, and the fourms do have a "prune" inactive and low posting members, but as you say yg, people will sometimes not post for a long period, perhaps because they are busy or because there is simply nothing to talk about, ie the forums going stale. Also deleting low posting members will badly effect those who have recently signed up!

I would prefer to take positive actions against those who do post rather than negative action against those who don't - I don't mind "lurkers" but they must all realise that if it wernt for active members they would have nothing to read
    I agree with you admin. Okay, here's my idea. I think a good thing to do is a Member of the Week. I'm doing it on other boards now and it is extremely popular. It's a positive way to showcase a member each week who has contributed greatly to the forums. The member of the week would be chosen by the staff and they would receive a customized banner with their username on it and they could display it in their sig for the week they are nominated. An announcement could be posted in the Grotto and congrats could be given to the member there. Some newbies or folks who don't post too often may be tempted to after seeing it. It's a good way to keep up with the positive atmosphere here. I know you have the awards which are great but this would be something weekly to generate interest and posting, in my opinion. Just another thought.

I'm glad you're still here. You offer interesting insight from a person of advanced years. (sorry if that came out wrong.)

Member of the Week is an interesting idea; maybe we need more than Member of the Quarter-Year (which is coming up again, pretty soon, David, and I might remind you that I'm eligible this time around )

Rye, what other boards do you run? You're quite the forums-person!

Its certainly an idea, it was my first thought when I was making awards but at the time we had about 5 active members and after 5 weeks everyone would have one! So I made it a year, and then per quarter.

We could try out the member of the week thing, I am not sure how it would run though... would it be decided via simple nominations or reputation or what...

Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    I'm glad you're still here. You offer interesting insight from a person of advanced years. (sorry if that came out wrong.)
    Thanks Sam

Quote Originally Posted by admin
    Its certainly an idea, it was my first thought when I was making awards but at the time we had about 5 active members and after 5 weeks everyone would have one! So I made it a year, and then per quarter.

We could try out the member of the week thing, I am not sure how it would run though... would it be decided via simple nominations or reputation or what...
    David, I'll send you a PM.

Oh, so now I'm not important enough to know what you two are talking about?

Good idea to attract members, but i dont think we should have a problem, we are the biggest MITM site in the World! and with the up and coming new season we will see a huge surge in numbers, i'd say we will have a at least 50% increase over the running of season 7, people get remined/have questions/wanna talk bout ep etc, we might get inodated and wish we didnt have so many!
    Need help? Email Me Here

What would the member of the week get? If it's an award then you might end up with too many of them. Maybe some kind of privilage or something. Maybe best post of the week so that then people will know what thread to look at.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Emrysgirl
    What would the member of the week get? If it's an award then you might end up with too many of them. Maybe some kind of privilage or something. Maybe best post of the week so that then people will know what thread to look at.
    I'm very sorry, I should have gone into detail earlier with my idea. If a Member of the Week was done, the member could receive a customized banner with their username which they could put in their sig for the week they are MOTW. Maybe they could also have a custom title, "Member of the Week" too and put an announcement in the Grotto for congratulatory messages to the member as well. I was thinking the member could be chosen by Admin, yardgames and J each week based on whatever criteria they choose. I was thinking it could be based on members who have contributed thought provoking/positive posts etc. but it could also be based on length of membership, # of posts. There are many ways to do it. It's a fun way to get people involved and posting, in my opinion.

Also, best post of the week sounds like a very good idea too.

I like best post of the week. We could honor Darren if he ever posts his Stilts analysis.

But seriously, that's a pretty good idea.

I think the stars and rep points thing is a good idea, because you have a visual tally of how much you've taken part. Forcing members to post could be counter-productive because it would encourage people to post crap, like they do on the FOX forum.

Personally, I only really write long and detailed posts when I see a topic which interests me or which I have a real opinion on, for example the 'moon-landing' thread and the recent 'mobile phone' thread.

Unless you wanted the grotto to dominate the forum, you'd need to advertise only in MiTM-related places.