Ideas on attracting new visitors
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas on attracting new visitors

Default Ideas on attracting new visitors

Has anyone got any bright ideas on attracting new visitors or encourage people who don't speak to speak...

Also if you have a website and would like to add a link for us, please do!

We have tried to make ourselves more visitors friendly in the past few months and our efforts have shown a signficant improvement. We have added welcome messages and reminders to guests and encouraged non posters to post, but being a greedy forum we need more input and contributions, if you have any ideas how to imporove such things, no matter how wacky suggest them here, from a 100 hour chatroom session marathon, or something else!

Default Re: Ideas on attracting new visitors

Pay google.com to put a banner up at their site.

Yeah! You could enroll in Adwords!

And have the marathon! And tell people about how great people like me are!

I don't have any good ideas, so here are some lame ones:

On getting new members:
    I don't know where the site is being promoted right now. But maybe advertise not just on MitM pages, but also on the pages for simmilar or related shows. Maybe shows like The War at Home, The Simpsons, AD or Scrubs.

On gettng them to post:
    Perhaps make a sticky for general/easy questions. This would encourage members who are too intimidated to ask Qs and also take care of a lot of short threads such as the episode identification ones.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

Another one would be to convince Linwood Boomer or Todd Holland to put your URL on the end credits of every episode from now on. Not sure how feasible that would be

Well it probably wouldn't help to convince Linwood, considering he's not technically affiliated anymore.

These ideas wouldnt necessarily get people who dont talk to talk. You could only give visitors a certian amount of access, then state they need to be a member- this may have the opposite effect though. You could also try to blag free merchandise (you do promote the programme absolutley LOADS to run competitions

I'm not terribly fond of this idea but you could always state when members sign up they have to post within so many days or else their membership will be deleted and current members have to post at least every so many days (60 or 90) or their membership will be deleted. This seems to be happening on a lot of message boards nowadays but I have mixed feelings about it. Just a thought.

In my opinion, that could delete valued members who are simply on hiatus (like tjpeople). On the other hand, it may be more tidying up than anything, because there are probably a lot of members who don't even remember they registered. What are the pros and cons in your eyes?

These are certainly ideas, and the fourms do have a "prune" inactive and low posting members, but as you say yg, people will sometimes not post for a long period, perhaps because they are busy or because there is simply nothing to talk about, ie the forums going stale. Also deleting low posting members will badly effect those who have recently signed up!

I would prefer to take positive actions against those who do post rather than negative action against those who don't - I don't mind "lurkers" but they must all realise that if it wernt for active members they would have nothing to read