Malcolm in your language

admin

Retired Administrator
Niels said:
You're right, it's from "Dirty Magazine" ! In the beginning Hal tells Lois about his female boss who wants to flirt with him. Then Reese tells Dewey about the plant supposed to grow in his hand. And then Malcolm explains the magazine issue. :)

Near the end, Malcolm says "Ronnie est lesbienne", I thought this would have helped you a lot since it's very similar with english...

I'm sure this clip from the episode would have been a LOT easier :D :

http://lifeisunfair.perso.cegetel.net/collision.mp3
Lol, yep from that clip we would have got it after just 1 of the beeps! :D

allison

You wanna try a german clip? :D I don´t know how to send an audio file, but I could turn the picture black so you could only hear the voices. :D

admin

Retired Administrator
That would be cool allison, I look forward to hearing a few German clips! :D

Once you've got the video clip on your PC you can use that wierd Wav recorder to just record the audio. If not then blacked out video will do! :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Very hard - i dont see it myself- im terible at languages tho. i have watched a german version of a MITM episode, didnt get into it really.....i wonder why.....and think it was the language barrier......

admin

Retired Administrator
tjpeople said:
Very hard - i dont see it myself- im terible at languages tho. i have watched a german version of a MITM episode, didnt get into it really.....i wonder why.....and think it was the language barrier......
I think thats the problem I have. I tried using the MITM/Simpson DVDs to revise French/German for GCSE I just could not stand it, I could see Frankie, yet I couldn't hear Frankie! I found it really irritating - infact so much I just ended up watching it in English, didn't really serve is any good revision that way, but it was great fun! :D

allison

I can´t stand Reese´s german voice. The others are ok, I think, but of course the original voices are way better. French people talk too fast. If I read a french text I usually understand what it´s about, but if someone speaks french I hardly understand a word. :D

Here´s the German clip. It´s from season 2 and I guess it´s not too difficult:

http://www.sendmefile.com/00095877

admin

Retired Administrator
allison said:
I can´t stand Reese´s german voice. The others are ok, I think, but of course the original voices are way better. French people talk too fast. If I read a french text I usually understand what it´s about, but if someone speaks french I hardly understand a word. :D

Here´s the German clip. It´s from season 2 and I guess it´s not too difficult:

http://www.sendmefile.com/00095877
Thats easy, its when Dewey talks his Mom's purse/handbag to school, the clip is Reese trying to get the purse/handbag off him, and failing :D

Is one of the normal kids fat! :D Even in German thats funny :D

The episode is "Old Mrs. Old"

allison

Well done, that´s correct! :D

Though I think the english version is funnier. In English Reese says "It doesn´t matter, he´s gonna be fat everyday. But the kid with the purse, he might not wear it again."
In German he says "It doesn´t matter. If someone is fat, he´s fat. But you can always leave a stupid purse at home."

In the german version it sounds like Reese thinks that it doesn´t matter if someone is fat, but none has to take a purse to school so only these people who do that deserve to get beaten up. :D I think that´s not so funny, though Reese appears a little nicer from what he says.

admin

Retired Administrator
allison said:
Well done, that´s correct! :D

Though I think the english version is funnier. In English Reese says "It doesn´t matter, he´s gonna be fat everyday. But the kid with the purse, he might not wear it again."
In German he says "It doesn´t matter. If someone is fat, he´s fat. But you can always leave a stupid purse at home."

In the german version it sounds like Reese thinks that it doesn´t matter if someone is fat, but none has to take a purse to school so only these people who do that deserve to get beaten up. :D I think that´s not so funny, though Reese appears a little nicer from what he says.
Cool.

Have you any more, perhaps harder clips for us to indentify. :D That one was quite fun, I think I could live with German TV!

admin

Retired Administrator
allison said:
Ok, I´m afraid they´re too easy, again, but unfortunately I don´t have so many german episodes on my computer.

Season 1:
http://www.sendmefile.com/00096007

Season 2:

http://www.sendmefile.com/00096006

Season 3:

http://www.sendmefile.com/00096013

season 2:
http://www.sendmefile.com/00096009
The first one...Is from the Pilot, when they are leaving the house before going to school

Lois says not to loose Dewey, Reese says yes and tells malcolm its his turn
Dewey says mum says we should hold hands, and then he and malcolm have an arugement before Malcolm gives in "Mein God!" I don't belive he says that in the original episode!

allison

Right again. :D They often change things which is quite annoying if you know what they really said. Another example: In Tutoring Reese Reese says "I don´t take geography" then Malcolm goes "Yes you do, you´ve got a grade in it" and Reese replies "Oh, that can´t be good".
For some reason they translated it into German like this:
"I don´t take geography" - "Yes you do, you´ve got a grade in it"
Reese: "Oh, I think I remember it now"

I really don´t get why they didn´t translate it correctly. I think the original dialogue is much funnier.

admin

Retired Administrator
The second clip
Is it Carnival?

The third clip
I only reconginised one word really in this that pinpointed it to Reese Drives, the word fuhurshien which means Driving License does it not :D

The forth clip
Its francis, and he wants to take richie in the car or something, Lois says no to start, but one of the boys intervenes and she then says Yes, I think Reese? Can't pin point the episode. -- At a guess is it Tutoring Reese?

allison

admin said:
The second clip
Is it Carnival?

The third clip
I only reconginised one word really in this that pinpointed it to Reese Drives, the word fuhurshien which means Driving License does it not :D

The forth clip
Its francis, and he wants to take richie in the car or something, Lois says no to start, but one of the boys intervenes and she then says Yes, I think Reese? Can't pin point the episode. -- At a guess is it Tutoring Reese?
Carnival: correct

Reese drives: Also correct. (The word is spelt Führerschein, and you´re right that it means Driving licence) :D

forth clip: It´s Francis and he also wants to take the car to go over to Richie´s house. The person who intervenes is Malcolm. Your description of the scene is correct, but it´s not from Tutoring Reese.

But you´re very good at this game. :D

admin

Retired Administrator
Ohh 3/4 thats pretty good! OK, if its not Tutoring Reese, is it perhaps Malcolm vs. Reese. Its the only other episode I can think of where Reese drives a car....

Dewey

Minimalistic
Niels said:
"Ronnie est lesbienne",
I should have got that one. :) :) :)

This is a good feature. Do you have any more? Would be nice to hear what Caroline and Commandant Spangler sound like in French.