Malcolm in Entertainment Weekly

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Entertainment Weekly did it's fall TV preview this week, and wrote a quick blurb about most of the returning show. Here's what they wrote about MITM. (One thing in here might maybe be considered a spoiler, if you don't want to know anything about any upcoming plots.)

"As Malcolm in the Middle gets another year older- it's season 7, after all- so do Malcolm (Frankie Muniz) and his brothers. But exec producer Matthew Carlson claims having older and wiser boys is actually an asset. 'You can view the kids aging as a problem or an opportunity,' say Carlson. 'It's helped us come up with stories because we are not locked into static characters.' Many of those new stories will revolve around Malcolm and Reese (Justin Berfield) as high school seniors (the latter was held back). The boys will also take a Halloween tour of homes where grisly murders have taken place- only to discover that their house is a featured stop. And they thought their house was scary before!"
---Entertainment Weekly Magazine, Sep 9th 2005

samboo1

Actually how old are Reese and Malcolm gonna be in season 7. I thought they would of finished school now:confused:

willdubbs

Yes you're right.

And Malcolm said that he had to stay in the high school for four years (humilithon 4.02), so season 4, 5 and 6, it's 3 years. The season 7 will be his last year.

willdubbs said:
Yes you're right.

And Malcolm said that he had to stay in the high school for four years (humilithon 4.02), so season 4, 5 and 6, it's 3 years. The season 7 will be his last year.
Thats only if you assume each new season represents a full year in their life. Many shows alter the time scale in order to fit with writing to benefit them. For example a certain season only represents half the year.

willdubbs

Deweyrules! said:
Thats only if you assume each new season represents a full year in their life. Many shows alter the time scale in order to fit with writing to benefit them. For example a certain season only represents half the year.
Each season actually represents a full year Deweyrules! And I can prove it.
-Reese enters in the high school near the start of the third season (emancipation 3.02), so it's the beginning of a new year. Malcolm enters in the high school in the episode humilithon (4.02), so the third season represents a full year.
-Francis meets Otto for the first time in the episode Zoo (4.01) and in the episode Végas(5.01), Otto tells Francis that he works at the grotto for one year, it's the anniversary. So the fourth season represents a full year.
-There's a christmas episode in the fifth season (5.07), and there's an other one in the sixth season (6.06), one year past, so the fifth season represents a full year.
-The sixth season was supposed to be Reese's last year at the high school, and he will be with Malcolm for the seventh season. So the sixth season represents a full year, so will the seventh season which will be the last year of Malcolm and Reese at the high school.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Widubbs is right, more or less, each season covers approximately one year. Season 4, for example, is slightly longer, beginning in the summer with Zoo, having Lois get pregnant in January, and thus concluding nine months later in September.

I did a timeline on the topic a while back.

samboo1

Its going to be funny in season 7 seeing Reese and Malcolm in the same year group (i dont know how to say that in american terms:eek: )

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
It's just assmumed that, since they are in the same grade, the writers would have some fun with that ability, and stick them into the same class(es).

samboo1

Deweyrules! said:
Why are they going to be in the same class?
Because Reese deliberatly failed his exams in order to stay in school another year, and so he would'nt have to move out. So he and Malcolm will be in the same class.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
not really, it's possible. But, you guys in the UK switch classes durring the day, right? That's what we do, so he could be in different classes, and most likely they will, as the writers like that kind of irony stuf. Genius and dim-witt in the same class. That's how I would do it.

samboo1

Yeah, so they will be in some classes together. I donr dare to think what hilarious storylines they can get out of that!;)

Ryebeach

Thanks for letting us know Megan. I think MITM can get some very good storylines out of Malcolm and Reese being in the same grade and I do hope they will be in some of the same classes. What would be really funny is if by some strange reason Reese started to get better grades in a class he is in with Malcolm. LOL, I can only imagine how Malcolm would react to that. :eek: The halloween episode sounds intriguing as well. :)

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Deweyrules! said:
Why are they going to be in the same class?
I think we are having some terminology confusion here. In america, "class" can mean two different things. You of course go to classes, math class, english class, etc. "Class" can also mean everyone in the same year. For example, when people say what year they graduate, they say "Class of ****" So I'm class of 2003. That is what I meant when I said they were going to be in the same class.

And I doubt Reese and Malcolm will have a lot of classes together, since Malcolm would be taking much more advanced classes. They might find one or two classes that they could have together, just to make things interesting.

In the UK the term class, generally refers to a particualr class, like math(s) class. We refer to the year group, as, well year group.