The Buseys/The School - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store




Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: The Buseys/The School

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7




    I just reread my last post and that did not come out they way I wanted it to. Ignore the part about the Buseys, it makes no sense.

    I think the Buseys were originally put in for the sake of comedy, as replacement for the Krelboynes. But, as they became regular characters, the writers found that they had to, or maybe just wanted to, deal with the social issues surrounding them. As a result, the characters are caught somewhere in between.

    Replacement for Krelboynes:
    With the Krelboynes, the comedy revolved around their characters. We laughed at how weird they were. As replacements, the Buseys were made just as weird and were given strange problems. But, these problems are so outrageous that you (well, I) can't take them seriously or laugh at them. They're not regular psychological problems, but they are serious.

    Social commentary:
    In many eps, especially Busey's Take a Hostage and Dewey's Special Class, we see how the teachers and administrators disregard the Busey's needs and treat the class more as a way to keep them away from the general population than a way to help them.

    (This may see off topic but I have a Busey related point coming...)
    I have always been confused about the school district the children have been in. I think this is a flaw on the writers' part. We know that the family is poor. In fact, they moved into the home for budgetary reasons. But their neighbors are all well to do (doctors and lawyers: professionals as Hal calls them). How could they possibly afford a house in such an affluent district? This confusion spreads to the school as we get conflicting evidence of its quality. On one hand, it's able to offer courses that are challenging to Malcolm and the other geniouses. On the other, the school is filled with corruption and dissatisfactory teachers.

    (And now for the Busey related point...)
    In bad school districts, the Busey class would not exist. The emotionally disturbed students would either be rejected from the school or be left to fend for themselves. In good school districts, they would probably be put into the special school district affiliated with the school or at least given proper attention. The concept of caring enough to designate a special class but then illtreating them seems flawed and unreal to me. Its seems to be like a good school from the '60s or earlier, when mental illness was seen as punishment for sins or whatever.

    Another flaw: the school has a psychologist, why aren't the Buseys seeing her?

    Somewhere in between:
    Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    What you guys are missing about the Buseys is that most of them have been inappropriately labelled by the school. Most are not "bad," or "emotionally disturbed;" they just have minor childhood problems. Like Hanson has an overactive imagination. Chad's disease is a bit more serious, but most of the rest of them simply suffer from being held down because no one believes they have potential.
    I think this has to do with the 'making them as weird as the Krelboynes' thing. Whatever the school district is, I don't think they would put the children in based solely on the problems shown in the show. In fact, despite the fact that we've seen many of these problems in Malcolm, Reese and Dewey (Malcolm's outbursts, Reese's antics, "Dewey's been fighting (biting) again", the monster under the bed), they were never suspected to be emotionally disturbed. Dewey was put in because of his test results, not because of his behaviour.
    I think the Buseys do have serious problems, but that those have been lost in an attempt to make them weird and funny. They are appropriately labelled, but not appropriately dealt with. No matter how serious the problems, I'm sure the school could have helped at least some of the Buseys (case in mind: Hanson) with therapy and teaching. They needed to be in the class but could have been helped out of it and weren't.


    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,258

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

    But there are eps where we see the school district realizing the problem and potentially offering better support. For example, and I forget which ep this is, but some bad kid nominated Hanson and Kate (I think) to run for student president. The students had, at that point, progressed to having lunch/recess with the other kids.

    Before the Buseys, the class is briefly referred to as the remedial class in a couple of eps; namely, Tutoring Reese. We see what may be the infancy of this class at that point. Later on, we see the Busey program has morphed even since then, and maybe in the course of that year, the administration has made more improvements.

    I think the only teacher corruption lines we can draw lie with the middle school principal. The high school principal is just a big jerk, not corrupted; and there are lots of teachers (e.g. Caroline Miller) that mean (or in the case of Caroline, meant) well.

    I don't think you can assume that every home is filled with doctors and lawyers; this is coming from Hal, who obviously is going to feel that way. Where I live, those types of homes are not for doctors and lawyers. But maybe there's one or two low-on-the-totem-pole "professionals" in the neighborhood that make Hal feel inferior.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    the administration has made more improvements.
    But, later, they're used for slave labor. I get what you're saying about improvements. But it's not constant. And that's what I was reffering to with the inconsistancies.

    Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    I think the only teacher corruption lines we can draw lie with the middle school principal. The high school principal is just a big jerk, not corrupted; and there are lots of teachers (e.g. Caroline Miller) that mean (or in the case of Caroline, meant) well.
    The middle school teacher by himself would by curruption enough to spell bad school district. Also, remember, he had the support of other staff members. And, what about Reese's teacher in Tutoring Reese? And, Herkabe?

    Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    I don't think you can assume that every home is filled with doctors and lawyers; this is coming from Hal, who obviously is going to feel that way. Where I live, those types of homes are not for doctors and lawyers. But maybe there's one or two low-on-the-totem-pole "professionals" in the neighborhood that make Hal feel inferior.
    It isn't just what Hal said. In the Baby eps, one of the friends tells Ida he's a successful dentist who makes more money than she's had in her whole life. And remember Abe's fancy car and the trip to Jamaica they missed because of Hal? And, the family is generally looked down upon. All this could be explained if they were struggling to keep an expensive house just so that the boys could go to a good school. But, in flashback, they say that they moved in because it was very cheap and they couldn't afford anything better.

    My point is, the writers messed up with consistancy in a few places and it's sometimes hard to judge because of that.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,258

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Emrysgirl
    But, later, they're used for slave labor. I get what you're saying about improvements. But it's not constant. And that's what I was reffering to with the inconsistancies.
    That's all I read when I wrote this, so maybe I should finish reading the rest of your message, but, like I said, the principal is corrupt. Most people aren't, but we conclude that the principal is, and if I remember right, he blackmails the Busey teacher into doing it. That's the prinicpal to blame there; not the dozens of other people working hard to earn those kids a quality education!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,258

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

    How was Herkabe corrupt? Herkabe wasn't corrupt, he just disliked (and still does dislike) Malcolm because he was supposed to be the smartest--he suffered and suffered and now Malcolm is smarter than him, somehow.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,258

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by emrysgirl
    It isn't just what Hal said. In the Baby eps, one of the friends tells Ida he's a successful dentist who makes more money than she's had in her whole life. And remember Abe's fancy car and the trip to Jamaica they missed because of Hal? And, the family is generally looked down upon. All this could be explained if they were struggling to keep an expensive house just so that the boys could go to a good school. But, in flashback, they say that they moved in because it was very cheap and they couldn't afford anything better.
    Ahh, while we know they're in the same general neighborhood, we don't know that they're on the same block. Perhaps this block is lower scale, while a block over, there are some more upscale homes. I happen to live in a neighborhood where upper-scale and lower-scale homes are sort of mixed together. And sure enough, the lower-scale homeowners are looked down upon by the rest of us. (sorry)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    Ahh, while we know they're in the same general neighborhood, we don't know that they're on the same block.
    Yeah we do...in the baby eps, they said they all lived in the same area (opposite, down the street, etc.) and that Ida was surrounded.

    Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    I happen to live in a neighborhood where upper-scale and lower-scale homes are sort of mixed together.
    That's usually when one political district doesn't have a school of its own and is joined to another school district. Or it could be old houses vs. new houses. eitherway, as you say, the divide is usualy in blocks and across streets.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    How was Herkabe corrupt?
    I said the school was filled with corruption and dissatisfactory teachers. I listed Herkabe as dissatisfactory.

    Wow did we get offtrack. From improvements to Dewey to Buseys to Inconsistancy to school districts.
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,258

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

    I should probably split this thread up a bit. J, would you do that, please?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    30
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: What we DO NOT want to see in Season 7

    Oh- and dealing with Dewey, wouldn't it be weird if while Dewey was with the emotion kids he suddenly started talking to the camera like Malcolm? I'd be so confused at first.
    It's me Frankie! HELP!!! Erika has me locked in a closet! She wont let me have clothes!!! HERE SHE COM --

Similar Threads

  1. MITM Merchandise!
    By malcolm fan in forum The Wilkerson Times
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Aug 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
  2. Untitled fan fiction
    By ultimatemalcolmfan in forum The Wilkerson Times
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 31, 2005, 06:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •