ADHD and The Wilkersons?

Airyx

Forgive me if this has already been discussed somewhere, but...

It can't possibly only be me who thinks that Reese and Francis (and Malcolm sometimes, but mostly when he was younger) shows several signs of ADHD?

I shouldn't even have to adress the impulsive criteria, and they both seem kind of (understatement...) distracted when it comes to school work and so on? The episode when Francis was in military school, he was doing an assignment with some friend and he just couldn't get started.
And Reese seems very...he doesn't like to think and never puts any effort into school at all. I'm not saying that people with ADHD hate to think or anything, just that they have a hard time concentrating on school work and such for the most time.

Several other things come to mind...I'm just to lazy to list them. It's late here in Sweden, lulzz. xD

So, any thoughts?

PeterU

Super Moderator
This isn't really something I had considered before, but now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense. Some important hallmarks of ADHD are definitely present throughout the series.

I doubt that highlighting this issue was the intention, though. Take a look at the Buseys class storylines -- the issues raised by that are done so very deliberately. Only Dewey sees the people behind the 'emotionally disturbed' label, and only Dewey seems to care.

My point is -- with the Buseys, even if they play a relatively small role in a given episode, a point is being made very deliberately. If Reese, Malcolm or Francis were designed to be characters with ADHD, I think it would likely have been more explicitly spelled out.

(Or perhaps, playing devil's advocate for a moment, they didn't have space after playing the 'genius' card with Malcolm!)