Wilkerson - Family Name / Last Name / Surname
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilkerson - Family Name / Last Name / Surname

Default Wilkerson - Family Name / Last Name / Surname

What is the family's Last Name / Surname / Family Name?

The surname of the family was meant to be a secret, but Francis's name tag clearly states "Wilkerson". On the set, however, a comman cast joke was that the surname was "Nolastname". "Nolastname" was used in the final episode (Graduation) on a new name tag for Francis.

There was also a joke that appeared in the original pilot script. In that script, Malcolm was walking to school when a neighborhood kid came running up shouting, "Malcolm, Malcolm, Malcolm. I was talking to my parents last night - I was listening to them talk, and what's your last name?" "Wilkerson, why?" Malcolm replied. "Oh. Who are the Pariahs?" said the other kid. The joke was eventually cut, and the show's writers subsequently decided never to reveal the family's last name, but forgot about Francis's name tag.

[MOD EDIT]

Why does everyone call them the Wilkerson's all the time? I realize that was their original name, but it was never once used in the show. We should respect Mr. Boomer's wishes and not refer to them by the name he chose to not call them by. Also, I think one of the highlights of the show is that we don't know their last name, location, Hal's job, etc. It kind of ruins it when everyone calls them by a name anyway. There's even a forum named after their non-existent last name.
    Last edited by tjpeople; Mar 28, 2008 at 07:53 AM.

Default Re: Wilkerson

Well, I can't speak for David as to why he called the forum the Wilkerson Times. To tell you the truth, I've always thought it a goofy name.

But, anyways, we tend to infer information that we don't know for sure, because a lot of, for one reason or another, look at MITM as more than the sitcom that it is. We try and look at it more deeply, and for that reason infer certain things. Like Hal does something in business. They must have some sort of last name; Wilkerson is the only clue we've ever been given. I created an entire timeline tha began in December of 1999, a month before the show, which I use to infer more about the lives of the characters than we're shown. We had one member who created a family tree, inferring where other family members went on the tree from hints or tidbits of information. So it's not that we are abusing Mr. Boomer's wishes; on the contrary, we're expressing our appreciation for the show to a greater degree by inferring things to make the family seem more real.

Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    To tell you the truth, I've always thought it a goofy name.
    Me too . But I just searched for it on google (I hate the word googled. I'm trying to phase it out) and it seems to be a fairly common name. There's even a senator named Wilkerson

I tried to avoid saying 'the Wilkersons'. I usually use 'the family' and assume everyone knows which family I'm talking about. But that sounds weird sometimes, so I use Wilkerson for conveniance.

In general: It's a nice idea (them not having a name), but I don't think it matters much to me. Especially not since they introduced Lois' family. The original point of them not having a last name was so that they wouldn't be associated with any cultural group. But, after associating Lois' family with East Europe, it's almost as if they're saying her side isn't what determines who they are. (I know it's not intentional and I hadn't even thought about it until today.)
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

I meant, I always thought The Wilkerson Times was an odd name for the forum. Malcolm Wilkerson has a certain ring to it, doesn't it? Hal Wilkerson, come on? Sounds perfectly normal.

Oh, I feel stupid. I like Hal Wilkerson, Francis Wilkerson and Reese Wilkerson. But Malcolm Wilkerson and Dewey Wilkerson, especially Dewey Wilkerson sound funny. So does Lois Wilkerson, but perhaps she kept her maiden name.

Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    Malcolm Wilkerson has a certain ring to it, doesn't it?
    Too many "ulk" sounds. It's painful to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ReMoss85
    Too many "ulk" sounds. It's painful to say.
    That comment made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by Emrysgirl
    Oh, I feel stupid. I lke Hal Wilkerson, Francis Wilkerson and Reese Wilkerson. But Malcolm Wilkerson and Dewey Wilkerson, especially Dewey Wilkerson sound funny. So does Lois Wilkerson, but perhaps she kept her maiden name.
    I've never really thought about this before Reese, Dewey, Hal, Jamie and Lois all sound okay with Wilkerson. Malcolm Wilkerson though....? Try saying that 10 times fast.

I had no problem saying Malcolm Wilkerson ten times fast. It's not tough to say; just sounds awkward.

I can only say it a few times. After that it slurs into Malcolmlkerson