What is the deal with with Muniz's voice?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblinddevil

jnfields said:
....When the show came on, Malcolm carried the show...now it is carried by the parents, and his brothers...true or not?......
Well the show was more about Malcolm at the start and other characters have gradually become more important, but i don't think it is because of Frankie's voice. Does it really bother you that much?

arach

jnfields said:
I wouldn't say he is "forceful" sounding on MITM he just sounds "forced"...does that make sense?

I can't say that I've seen his movies so if I'm way off base just tell me, but I don't think he is a good actor at this point. EVERYTHING he says that I have seen on somewhat recent episodes where he is older sounds like he is reading a cue card for the first time. All the other actors on that show sound very natural but not Frankie. [...]

I think he was cast in the role originally because he was good for his age and looked the part but he has not grown as an actor since then.
I totally have to agree with you there.

Everything he says sounds so forced out of his mouth, as if he would fight against having to say it. As if he doesn't want to act anyway.

Pretty sad, but I think it's true that Frankie somehow got stuck on a certain level of acting skill. And for an adult actor, this level will hardly be enough to base his future career on.

Harsh words I know, and although I wish him best luck for his future, that's just what I think. All Frankie fans: just pretend you never read this. ;)

Emrysgirl

Could the forced speech be deliberate? I'm sure Malcolm's been frustrated, what with not having any friends and all. Maybe Frankie is trying to convey that. I'm just throwing out an idea. I don't know, I haven't seen him in much other than MitM. So, I don't know how his acting is otherwise.

Garbage Kills Megan said:
what speech impediment does orlando bloom have?
It's very slight and at first I thought it was only his accent. But he's very unclear at times and in LotR, sometimes it's obvious he's struggling with the words.

MITM18

theblinddevil said:
Well the show was more about Malcolm at the start and other characters have gradually become more important, but i don't think it is because of Frankie's voice. Does it really bother you that much?
Its just a creative move, your wayyy looking into these things too hard. :D

Ryebeach

I also remember Malcolm's voice being a bit sqeaky during the first couple of seasons but in laters seasons I haven't noticed anything sqeaky or marbly about his voice.

Garbage Kills Megan said:
I totally understand what you are talking about. His voice has not only gotten lower, but just recently has gotten, well, just different. It's hard to explain. It just sounds different. I wouldn't call it an impediment, though. I would like to hear him talk as just himself, not as malcolm, to see if it still shows a lot then too. I don't know if anyone has ever noticed, but Frankie talks a little different in real life than when he is acting as Malcolm. He's a little more forceful sounding when he's playing Malcolm.
Excellent point Megan, I also think when I've seen Frankie in some interviews he sounds a bit different than Malcolm. Perhaps the way of talking he does in MITM is purposely done a bit different for the role and not how he talks in real life.

jnfields said:
I would like to know what other people think on this - When the show came on, Malcolm carried the show...now it is carried by the parents, and his brothers...true or not?
I agree that the balance has shifted dramatically from Malcolm-centered in the beginning to a full out ensemble show now. I think that was a good move. MITM has such talented actors on the show and to keep them in small, supporting roles all the time was a detriment to the show, in my opinion. In recent seasons, it seems that they are trying to even out the plotlines between all the cast members or giving the main plots to a couple of characters and the rest of the sub-plots to the other actors and shifting that episode to episode.

ReMoss85

Ryebeach said:
I also remember Malcolm's voice being a bit sqeaky during the first couple of seasons but in laters seasons I haven't noticed anything sqeaky or marbly about his voice.
Without going back and watching it again to find out how wrong I really am, I always remember in the episode Hot Tub, when he drops off Polly at that store and he's alone in the car, he says something like "It gave me the opportunity to get to know Polly a little better." The way he says "Polly" always strikes me as one of the more marbly things. It's like he doesn't know how to properly make an "L" sound.

MITM18

Just wondering but who cares :D ?

I never noticed this and still wont notice it, you can go crazy with every detail of anything.

Its not an Oscar winning preformance but its fine to what it is. Its a show that tries to convey what teenagers go through, and teenagers go through a puberty period where their voices change, thats what was going on.

I just dont see any relevance to this, by disecting every detail you will notice flaws and then not appreciate it.

Take it what its worth.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I think that people are saying that it seems as though there's something more than puberty there. Is it, as you say, Frankie just trying to show us what it is that Malcolm goes thorugh, or is there something else?

Emrysgirl

MITM18 said:
Just wondering but who cares :D ?
jnfields does:D.

MITM18 said:
I just dont see any relevance to this, by disecting every detail you will notice flaws and then not appreciate it.
You (we) can "disect" something and still like it. Actually, you can't fully appreciate anything until you know it completely for its good and bad points. You have to understand all the little "details" to get the whole picture. In other posts, you (MITM18) have pointed out that it's only a show. But the reason it is funny is because it relates to real life. It is impossible to truly enjoy the show without treating the characters as real.

As to how that applies to this particular thread, many of us have brought up that Malcolm's voice isn't the same as Frankie Muniz's real voice. So, if he is altering it, it could tell us something new (or more likely build on something we already know) about a character.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I concor with that Aditi. Much more complete answer than I gave. Take some rep.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this topic? I fear we're a tad bit off topic here. (maybe due mostly to this post.)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
The only thing we proved here is that Frankie is going through puberty, which is what everyone goes through. Many think his voice is marblyat times, some don't. Personally, I only notice it a little bit, maybe every once in a while. Now, we argued back and forth on weather his voice was marbly. We can't possibly debate this much more. But I will restrain myself from closing this thread now.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Ok, I'll do it then. I have to agree, I think we've milked everything there is out of this. We're not going to be able to get to an ultimate conclusion, as we all have our own opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.