The Cows Are Coming!

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Re: Thanksgiving

I dunno. It's a saying. People say it. I swear. I couldn't think of any other saying that meant "for a very long time". I knew someone would think that was weird.

MITM18

Yeah, its a very famous saying, BLANK till the cows come home, meaning you can do this for a long time/forever

Dewey

Minimalistic

I think its based around the idea that cows live outside, and thus talking about smething until they come home (which would never happen) implies a long conversation.

Also relating to cows, I once read that the animal is able to walk up a flight of stairs, yet is unable to walk down them. It is something to do with thier legs and uneven weight distribution. If this is true - just imagine being the guy that found out this fact the hard way. To have a cow in one's upstairs bedroom that can never go down again would be like a vivid nightmare!

yardgames

Retired Administrator

lol that would be funny. I suppose he would be stuck there until the cows come home.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom

I have also heard that cows can only go upstairs. My friend told me this because it was his brilliant idea for a senior prank. My highschool was all one story, except for one gym that was upstairs. He want to get a cow into the upper gym, and then they would have no way of getting it down. This, of course, didn't happen.

That would be reallu funny! Its true, the joints in a cows knee's, dont allow them to walk downstairs. You would probably still have trouble getting the cow up the stairs though.

Dewey

Minimalistic

yardgames said:
lol that would be funny. I suppose he would be stuck there until the cows come home.
My guess is the cow would be stuck up there until the butcher comes home!

Emrysgirl

I looked it up and apparently cows spend all day or all night (different sites say different things)in the pasture and only come home to be milked. So, in reality, until the cows come home means either till the end of the day or all night long (depending on whether they saty out all day or all night).

cows climbing up:

Garbage Kills Megan said:
My friend told me this because it was his brilliant idea for a senior prank.
I've heard in the context of senior pranks too.

MitM connection: in Mini-bike, one of the parents asks Francis how he got a cow on the roof in the first place. I'm guessing it was a simmilar prank.

Dewey said:
My guess is the cow would be stuck up there until the butcher comes home!
:D:D

gottaluvem

Hollywood actr on the way
nonono... it means, like when the cows stray away from the farm.. they'll just keep going and never decide to come back... but it doesn't matter what the literal translation... the basic implication is that it will take a long time, or forever

Emrysgirl

gottaluvem said:
nonono... it means, like when the cows stray away from the farm.. they'll just keep going and never decide to come back
1) I didn't just come up with the reason, I looked it up and this is what all of the sites said. See
http://www.clichesite.com/content.asp?which=tip+2469

2) Cows aren't very likely to wander off. I visited some distant cow owning relatives of mine in a village once and that's exactly what they do. They used to lead the cows to a pasture in the morning and then in the evening, the cows would come back on their own. I know it sounds weird, but it's true.

3) The origin you're giving would imply that the phrase means 'never'. But it just means unitl really late or as Megan put it, for a very long time.