Francis Fights Alone
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Francis Fights Alone

Default Francis Fights Alone

I've never quite understood why it appears (particuarly in the earlier seasons) that Francis offers the other boys advice on how to control and evade the wroth of Lois. He always speaks from personal experience- this is demonstrated most explicitly in 'Red Dress', where Francis advises the others on Lois' lines of attack. How come, if the age difference between Reese and Macolm is almost equal to that between Reese and Francis, has Reese not been through this with Francis. Rather than Francis always acting alone. I've not worded this particuarly well, so if you need any further clarification please ask- hopefully you'll understand

Default Re: Francis Fights Alone

Yeah, that doesn't quite make sense, I don't completely understnad what you're asking, but Reese and Francis are three years apart; Reese and Malcolm are only one year apart. If that helped. ??

I think he´s wondering why Francis and Reese never teamed up like Malcolm and Reese did. As yardgames said, the age difference between Francis and Reese is 3 years. So when Francis was sent to military school Reese was about 12 (In the pilot Francis was 16 which makes Reese 13). And I think Francis had other problems with Lois than Reese had at this time. Reese probably caused mischief and stuff, but Francis (as we could see) burned cars and things like that. At this time Reese was probably still too "Innocent". Francis fought alone because he was interested in other things than Reese. And he´s the one who was never afraid of challenging Lois. Malcolm and Reese get in trouble and hope their mother won´t find out, they rarely offend her or start an argument (just remember "Hal´s birthday", they don´t want her to get mad at them, it just happens). But Francis always argues back. If his mother yells at him, he yells at her. He also says things like "Finally, mom found the courage to speak her mind" or "Why don´t you put a choke chain around my neck and make me sleep in the garage?" I think neither Malcolm nor Dewey nor Reese would ever dare to talk to her like that (behind her back, of course they do, though)
    So I think Francis has got much more experience than the other ones and he´s the only one who speaks his mind and isn´t afraid of Lois at all.
    (I hope I understood your question correctly, or did I write this all for nothing because you actually asked something else)?

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying. I really just think that it is because Malcolm and Reese are closer in age, it's more likely that they would team up, rather then Reese and Francis. Also, I think Francis is more like Malcolm than Reese. I remember one episode, not sure which one, Francis called the house looking for Hal or Lois, but when he found out they weren't there, he asked for Malcolm, not Reese. In Funeral, when the phone finally gets to Malcolm he says "finally, someone I can talk to." Even though Malcolm is younger than Reese, I think he is more of the leader because he is smarter.

Yeah, I don´t know if Francis and Malcolm are more similiar, but as you said Malcolm is smarter which makes it easier for Francis to find out what´s going on at home. I´m not sure, though, if they still get along so great. In Hal´s christmas gift I didn´t have that impression.

A rather obvious reason why Francis "fought" alone: He was 1000 miles from home.

Maybe I´m wrong, but I think he talked about the time when Francis lived still at home.

Quote Originally Posted by allison
    Maybe I´m wrong, but I think he talked about the time when Francis lived still at home.
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say- I argree with what your saying about the difference in age difference, however, on occasion Dewey 'works' with Reese and Malcolm in order to perpitrate something or to defend each other. I just feel that occasional the age gap between Francis and the other brothers is made out to be greater than it is. For example, by the time Francis was 17? he had moved to Alaska

That's correct, he emancipated himself from his parents, making him a free adult a year earlier than he should have been. (i.e. Houseboat (1) and Emancipation (2), season 3)

Francis went through all of that with Richie and Circus, who are the same age as him; Malcolm, Reese and Dewey haven't got this option because they haven't got any friends.