Lucky Aide

yardgames

Retired Administrator
How did the name "Lucky Aide" come to be? I mean, it just doesn't seem like a departmental store. Where I live, stores like that are referred to Osco Drug, Walgreens, ShopKo, etc., but Lucky Aide just seems like such a weird name...for any store.

The slogan always cracks me up..."The "L" stands for value!"

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
On the DVD it mentions that Lucky Aid is a real store. And it also says how they tape while people shop, so it's like random extras for the scene. As for the name, i guess you have to ask the store owners about that.

Wemboy

Yardgames, you're right, that slogan cracks me up too. Don't know where the name comes from, but i'm guessing if it was a real store it must have been started by an Irish family what with the clover and all that. I think it's the Irish that came up with the whole lucky four leaf clover thing(?). Reminds me of Lucky Charms too, did you know you can't get those in England any more, my housemate had to order some from the US:confused: as a surprise for his girlfriend cos she likes em. Lucky Aide is the scene of some of my favourite MITM moments though, like when Lois and Craig are stacking the Condom shelf and Craig is like, this is "kinda intense", also when the boys have to get Lois a present and they buy her a dirtbike magazine (Reese: "I might wanna read that when you're done") and some candy (something else too that i can't remember).

Amigo22

Super Moderator
The gifts the boys got for Lois were the dirtbike magazine, an eyeglass repair kit and throat lozenges.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That was funny, since Lois doesn't have eyeglasses.

Anyway, i did watch the commentary about Lucky Aide being a real store, but I think it's actually called something else. I could be wrong there, but I thought they called it something like "Phil's General Store." The only reason I remember is because they said that store, in real life, has absolutely any thing anyone cna imagine.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I don't know if they have it in wisconsin, but in Oregon we have drugstores called "Rite Aid" so the name Lucky Aide never seemed weird to me because it is so similar. They probably have them in California too.

Actually, I just looked them up and they do have them in Wisconsin. And there are 68 Rite Aids in LA, so I'm sure the writers have heard of it.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Yeah, I've heard of Rite Aid but I don't have any in Green Bay. It's possible that's what it's a spin on.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Enjoy my rant on my state: I've seen Rite Aids before, all in Central and North Jersey, though. South Jersey prefers Eckerd (ever hear of that one, it has the same colors, blue and white) New Jersey is having an identiy problem for the last 20 years now, ex. South uses Heinz ketchup, North uses Hunts ketchup at restraunts. The N & S Jersey want to split into two states, but, since North Jersey has more people in it, we lost that battle.

Ryebeach

Garbage Kills Megan said:
I don't know if they have it in wisconsin, but in Oregon we have drugstores called "Rite Aid" so the name Lucky Aide never seemed weird to me because it is so similar. They probably have them in California too.

Actually, I just looked them up and they do have them in Wisconsin. And there are 68 Rite Aids in LA, so I'm sure the writers have heard of it.
Same here, we have many Rite Aids in New Hampshire so that's what always comes to mind when I see and/or hear the characters discussing Lucky Aide.

fox123

Lucky Aide is so cool. Recently on my trip to America we went in a Rite Aide, that is what Lucky Aide reminds me of.
Has anyone else been in a Rite Aide before?
Fox
xxx

No Hannah (Fox123) I don't know as i live in England. Around here there's Tesco, Sainsburys, ASDA (part of the wal mart company), somerfield, waitrose!!! All i've heard of in America is Wal Mart which i assume is fairly popular. I havent even heard of Rite Aid!!

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
A Rite Aid isn't really like a Walmart. Walmarts are huge and have just about everything: clothes, toys, housewares, electronics etc. Rite Aid is what people sometimes call a "Drug Store" They have a pharmacy inside, and then have mostly drugs and beauty aids and bath products and the like. They have other random stuff too; some crappy toys and maybe an isle of non-perishable food, but that's not really the focus so they don't have a good selection.

Emrysgirl

Garbage Kills Megan said:
A Rite Aid isn't really like a Walmart. Walmarts are huge and have just about everything: clothes, toys, housewares, electronics etc. Rite Aid is what people sometimes call a "Drug Store" They have a pharmacy inside, and then have mostly drugs and beauty aids and bath products and the like. They have other random stuff too; some crappy toys and maybe an isle of non-perishable food, but that's not really the focus so they don't have a good selection.
So more like Walgreens?

So basically Wal Mart is a hypermarket in America like Carrefour in France whereas Rite Aid is a bit like a pharmacy of England. I get it now thank you!!