Why can't we watch a video on an oil rig?

Dewey

Minimalistic
Why can't anybody watch a video (or DVD) on an oil rig?

I have noticed that every video and DVD I own, clearly states in the legal statement at the begining that the viewing of the content is prohibited on oil rigs. It is even illegal.

Does anyone know the reason behind this?

This is something that has been on my mind for years now - so a good answer would be excellent!

The next part to my question is: Has anyone ever been charged with the offence of watching a video on an oil rig. If so, what happened to them? Maybe he or she is still in jail for their crime.

I think working on an oil rig for long periods of time (i.e months) must be really hard - esecially if they are being deprived of their entertainment.

Jimmy Junior

I think it may be that because oil rigs are not in any particular country, no particular country would have paid for the rights for them to be shown there; like not being able to show a video on a coach.
Bit of a vague excuse, but if anyone else has any better reasons I'd love to hear them!

I believe its because it is classed as public viewing, as there are generally more than 300 people on oil rigs, therefore legally you are supposed to buy a public viewing liscence. Its similar to software on school computers, you cant buy one software package and install it on all (howevermany) computers in the school, with out purchasing a liscence. Its stupid

Dewey

Minimalistic
- If its an issue of audience size and public viewing, what if i was to watch a video on a oil rig by myself with nobody else watching with me. Would that be okay?

- How about the old woman that lives in a shoe? There must be hundreds of people living at her address...is she too unable to watch a video?

- Also, is there a cut-off point to what is public and private viewing. I mean, what if i was to invite 20 people in my front room and watch a DVD? Would that become public viewing also?

arach

You aren't allowed to watch it on oil rigs because it's pretty dirty there, and oil would make your nice dvd dirty and greasy. It's just for your own protection! It would be a waste of money. How nice of them to tell us that. :)

Seriously, I never ever saw a warning/prohibition like that on a dvd. Maybe some weird law again because someday someone sued somebody...

If you got permission of the oil rig owner, I would imagine it would be ok to watch it by yourself- be a tad pointless though
- Dont be silly!! The old women who lived in a shoe has only got a cinetape player- not updated yet
- I think, as long as you don't charge, its ok for up to about 10 people to watch it, however any more than that is considered 'public viewing' -e.g. school also stated on videos or dvd's and therefore you cant- beware of the oil rig police!!

allison

arach said:
You aren't allowed to watch it on oil rigs because it's pretty dirty there, and oil would make your nice dvd dirty and greasy. It's just for your own protection! It would be a waste of money. How nice of them to tell us that. :)

Seriously, I never ever saw a warning/prohibition like that on a dvd. Maybe some weird law again because someday someone sued somebody...
I did. In german it says you´re not allowed to show it in the public and "auf Bohrinseln". :D I was seriously wondering about that, too.

Jimmy Junior

Deweyrules! said:
I believe its because it is classed as public viewing, as there are generally more than 300 people on oil rigs, therefore legally you are supposed to buy a public viewing licence.
That's what I was getting at with the coach thing; I was just a bit drunk at the time so it probably didn't come across very well :confused:
Basically, if you want to be able to show a film to people in a commercial environment you need a cinema license - it's like shops, bars, nightclubs, bowling alleys etc having to buy a PRS (Performers Rights Society) license to be able to play recorded music.

arach

But if it says it's illegal to show it on oil rigs, not even a PRS would help you.

Must be another reason. :confused:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, it seems to me to be a ridiculous question, but you guys have thought of some really entertaining answers. Nice job!

D

Deleted member 1693

It's always about lawsuits in America nowadays anyway, why not?

Yeah, I've seen all of these warnings. Not about the rigs but about public viewing. Aren't DVDs meant for that? If you can't show it to friends, what's the point? I'm probably misinterpreting the notice, but still.